WTF?????!!!!

Same old thing again this year. Lose to a team we shouldn’t. Hear fans complain about Bobby. We didn’t shoot that many threes. Lack of defense? I don’t know - didn’t see or hear the game. I suspect that is true however. Unfortunately we used to lose games early in the Mullins era also. I remember Coastal Carolina or maybe College of Charleston - at home. I don’t know if it’s Bobby’s coaching or not. But when we lose these early games to opponents we think we should beat it keeps our fan base from growing. Diehards will always support the team. It’s the students, alumni and non - ACC transplants to the area that we can never get excited early because they dismiss us early in the season after these dumb losses.

However, year in and year out we recover and do very well. It’s like a wake up call to the team and / or coaching staff. We just need ONE year when we don’t lay an egg early. It kills our top 25 chances which in turn excite the potential fan base I mentioned above. Just ONE year don’t lay an early egg and see what the possibilities would be.

all i heard on the radio, was threes early in the shot clock, with no effort to go inside,
what can that be other than coaching. Even if we make 100% of our threes next game, its a bad way to play. How does Delonte coach a game? What was his style in aau ball?

Hi, Northwestern fan here. I’ve been reading your meltdown over your loss to the Cats tonight.

I wouldn’t get too freaked out about it. The Cats are a pretty good team. They have beaten every Big Ten team at least once in the last 2 years except Michigan State. That includes Illinois and Wisconsin. At home we’ve had a winning record against top 25 competition in the last 3 years. Vedran Vukusic was third team All Big Ten last year for a team that gets absolutely no respect. He is the real deal. He’s 6’9" with a good handle, sweet 3 point stroke and good post moves. He is a little soft in man defense in the post. He is a cool customer. He gets doubled almost every time down the court. Mohamed Hachad (14 tonight) is an amazing athlete but very streaky. He made the top2 twice last year for play of the night on ESPN news. Our team is much bigger than Charlotte on the perimeter and is used to the pounding Big Ten Style of defense. This is truly a team. Last year they went only 7 deep but because of transfers (Cote from Kentucky) redshirt freshman (Sterling Williams-1st team all Chicago in HS) and having healthy players (Thompson-Duke transfer, and Evan Seacat) Carmody is able to go 10 deep without losing much (as long as Vukusic is out there). The team can play a rugged post up game with Thompson, Vukusic and Cote on the court or a finesse game with Scott, Doyle and Vukusic. The loss of our point guard TJ Parker (he of the famous brother playing in the NBA) was viewed by many of us as a case of addition by subtraction. Carmody has implied he was a ‘knucklehead’

People inside and outside the Big Ten like to make fun of our lack of success (never been to the dance) but with this team we would surely make it if we were in any conference other than the Big Ten, Acc, SEC or Big East. Some of us think we will make it this year.

Our board on Rivals was split on whether we would beat the 49ers tonight.

you all have a very solid and well disciplined team, i wish Northwestern the best of luck in the remainder of the season. thanks for dropping by

[U][B]Monday’s games[/B][/U]
Butler 70, Alabama State 61
Lehigh 65, Coppin State 64
Northwestern 61, Charlotte 47
UNC Wilmington 62, Wyoming 59 OT

[U][B]Tuesday’s games[/B][/U]
Alabama State vs. Coppin State, 2:00 EST
Butler vs. Lehigh, 4:00 EST
Charlotte vs. Wyoming, 8:00 EST
Northwestern vs. UNC Wilmington, 10:00 EST

Bottom line… it was an early season loss. And it will certainly kill any casual fan, walk-up traffic for the Mississippi State game next Wednesday night.

Northwestern may turn out to be a truly promising team this year but that does not excuse us. We have an all-american PF who has only become stronger in the off-season yet we never go to him, if only to draw a foul. Where the heck has nance been this year? Is coleman that much better? If mitchell is so fast and has no shot then what use is he if he can’t get the ball inside. Last of all if we are depleated as far as long-range bombers then why are we not going to withers or somebody on the inside, at least set a screen for alexander or withers to slash to the hoop. It just seems like with lutz plans rarely change during the game, last example was louisville when they came to halton and we won.

I assume they zoned us all night. They have a matchup 2-3 like Temple. Hence the reason we bombed away. We were not prepared for it so early in the season.

Gee guys. I hate to say “I told you so”, but…

I mentioned to you in a post about six weeks ago that this was a team to look out for. I don’t have time to pull up my old post (you can, if you like), but this is no surprise to me.

Ya know…it’s not so much who we lost to…cause they aren’t the freakin school of the poor or anything…its the type of team we lose to.

Why is it that Bobby can’t figure out how to beat these princeton style teams. These squads that like to grind it out kill us…and we are in more of a grind it out style of league now. Thats scary.

I am sooooo depressed!!!

Ya know.....it's not so much who we lost to.....cause they aren't the freakin school of the poor or anything.......its the type of team we lose to.

Why is it that Bobby can’t figure out how to beat these princeton style teams. These squads that like to grind it out kill us…and we are in more of a grind it out style of league now. Thats scary.

I am sooooo depressed!!!

DING - DING - DING!!!

We have a winner!

Look, we were’nt going to go undefeated this year. And Northwestern isn’t an awful team. If we played this game using our personnel the way they should be used - THE WAY EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD has been saying we should use them - I could accept the loss. As in, “Ok, their shots went in, and our shots did not. Let’s move on.”

Did we force our way inside? Did we try to draw fouls, fight for rebounds? Did we use our big men the way we should?

Or did we just hurl threes?

Fact is, Diego’s gone, Jobey’s gone, Plavich’s gone. Withers is here though. Can we revolve this team around the talents of Curtis?

Apparently we don’t even want to try to find out.

We can’t force it in to Curtis when the defense is playing a tight zone. Besides, he lacks the hands to handle alll that attention anyway.

And my spread the floor option is pointless against a tight zone, unless we are shooting the ball well, cause there’s nowhere to go with the ball. The zone will simply stay in place and dare us to shoot over it.

We better get used to some of the following concepts because we are gonna see a LOT of zone defense (and clock management on the other end):

Tip: Motion Offense-spacing When running a motion offense, the players should make sure that they have proper spacing. Players should not be any closer to each other than 12 to 15 feet.This makes sure that one defender cannot guard two players. It also makes the defense move with every pass that you throw. You can use the three point arc(which is about 20 feet from the basket) to help you with proper spacing

Tip: Timing of the screen
To ensure proper timing, the user of the screen should plant a foot at the exact time that the screener hop stops to set the screen. The user should then come off the screen tight enough to touch the screener. Rub shoulders , “swim” off the screen, or “sandwich” the screener and the defender, and then sprint directly to the shot-spot.

Tip: Zone offense-Gap alignment
To start your zone offense it is a good idea to get in a “GAP ALIGNMENT”.Against an even front zone(2-1-2, or 2-3)get in an odd front set(1-3-1,1-2-2 or 1-4). Against an odd front zone, get in an even front set. This is to make 2 defenders think about which one should guard you. If a defender is in a direct line between you and the basket-MOVE. Basically, put players where the defense isn´t.

Tip: Using Screens
When using a screen, first set your defender up by walking the defender away from the shot-spot. Then, you want to make the defense easy to screen by bringing the defense to a stop. Try to make them turn their head by faking a move in the opposite direction, just as your teammate is setting the screen.

Tip: Learning a new offense
As you are going through any new offense or play, players should “ball fake” at each cutter so they are used to looking at all options in sequential order.

Tip: Motion Offense-don´t stand still!
If you don´t have the ball, a good rule to remember is, “don´t stand”. Cut to the basket or go screen for someone. If you are under the basket(in “the post”)
post up for a 2 count - then turn and go screen for someone else.

Tip: Motion offense-help you teammates get open
If a player has the basketball at the top of the key, the other players could set a down screen or back screen on each side of the floor. This could help get their teammates open for a pass.

Tip: SEAL THE ZONE
Inside players should look to SEAL THE ZONE. After the zone defense has shifted the posts can seal or screen high or low IF the defense is INSIDE the offense.
Reseal the next man in the zone after the defender BREAKS the seal.

Tip: Motion Offense-screen away
If basketball is passed to the wing, screen away for a player who is closer to the baseline than you are. This will get him open on the perimeter and may leave you open inside.

Tip: PATIENCE AGAINST THE ZONE
Show some PATIENCE against the zone defense. Move the basketball, move players, look for cutters, check all options-in order. Take the high percentage shots that you want to take WHEN you want to take them.

[HALLELUJAH!!]

Tip: FREEZE THE ZONE
FREEZE THE ZONE defense by taking 1 or 2 dribbles AT a defender then pass inside or kick it to the perimeter for a jump shot. After the zone has shifted, use pass fakes & shot fakes.
Remember the 3 D’s-Drive, Draw, Dish.

Tip: BEAT THE ZONE UP THE FLOOR
The best way to combat a zone defense may be to BEAT THE ZONE UP THE FLOOR. All five basketball players should defensive rebound & run your fast break BEFORE the zone can set up.

Tip: MAKE THE ZONE RUN
MAKE THE ZONE RUN via the PASS, move the basketball quickly, don‘t hold it any longer than a ball fake, seal, skip, and swing.

Tip: Motion Offense-dribbling
Motion offense is also called “passing game”. Dribbling should be kept to a minimum. Use the dribble to only to improve the passing angle, drive to basket or to get out of trouble.

Tip: Motion Offense-keep the ball moving
Every time you catch the basketball, if you don´t have a shot or a drive, hold it for a 2 count and look to pass quickly to the other players who are cutting to the basket or using screens.

Tip: SCREENTHE ZONE
Inside players should look to SCREEN THE ZONE. After the zone defense has shifted, the posts can screen IF the defense is between the offensive player and the basket. This will free the perimeter player on that side for a shot. If the defender BREAKS THROUGH the screen, the post player should rescreen the next man in the zone, and pivot while looking for the ball.

Tip: Motion Offense-What if they “switch” screening
If the defense switches defenders during a screen, the screener could step back toward the ball to get open for a pass. If you know they are going to switch, you may try to “slip the screen” and at the last second cut to the basket instead

Tip: Zone Offense-distort the zone
Move the basketball and move players to DISTORT THE ZONE defense. Dribble drag a defender, drive a gap, adjust spacing, improve passing angles, screen the defense, skip pass, swing the ball to the other side, cut to the basket, flash into the post, or overload to shift the zone.

Tip: After the shot
After a shot is taken, either move to the board and go after the ball OR get back on defense.

Tip: Relative Motion

Along with all of the individual fundamentals, players need to understand the concept of “relative motion”. That can best be described as realizing how one player fits into the space on the floor, given the “relative” positioning of the other players, both offense and defense. A player with this understanding will know how to move to get open, create proper spacing, passing angles, play good on ball defense, and give good team defensive help.

Tip: Entering Motion Offense
If ball is at the top of the key, screen down or back screen for a teammate on either side of the floor

Tip: Zone Offense-gap penetration
Try to get some GAP PENETRATION. Dribble into a gap, dish to the basket or kick out to a shooter. Look to pass to where the defender comes from. Only dribble to improve a passing angle into the post. The second time a player touches the ball on a possession is a good time to look for this type of dribble penetration.

Tip: Protect the screener
The screener should protect the lower body with flexed knees and waist and protect the upper body with slightly extended arms to absorb the shock . Be careful not to move or push off with your arms to avoid being called for a foul.

Tip: Motion Offense- cut backdoor
If you are overplayed and cannot catch the basketball, change directions and make a quick cut to the basket(called a backdoor cut) or go screen for someone and try to help them get open.

Tip: Penetrate the Zone
The purpose of many zone defenses(particularly a 2-3 or 3-2) is to PREVENT penetration, so it makes it difficult for anybody to drive(especially from the top). You can use your penetrating skills by driving into a GAP in the zone(between two defenders. Rather than forcing the drive all the way and into the teeth of the defense, look to draw TWO defenders to you and pass to a teammate. The player open usually will be where the defense came from. These penetration opportunities occur most often after quick ball movement.

Great post…lets get this to Lutz ASAP!!!

In other news…I am continuing my effort to get these pathetic Penner and Mac knuckle heads off of the radio…they have a new topic today…

“are you behind this panther team or are they a pretender?”

They have never explored this topic before and it is compelling radio. If anybody is sick of reading about how bad the niners suck I suggests you tune in!

[QUOTE=casstommy;139541]Ya know…it’s not so much who we lost to…cause they aren’t the freakin school of the poor or anything…its the type of team we lose to.

I am sooooo depressed!!![/QUOTE]

You’d think that after we struggle time after time with these same type teams we’d figure out how to play them. But we don’t. The last Niner game I attended was in Richmond a couple of years ago and it was excruciating to watch how clumsy we became when we couldn’t play uptempo. Other good teams seem to be able to adjust, be we historically haven’t. I love Lutz as a coach, but you just have to have to acknowledge his weakness in this area. If you always do what you always did, you’ll get what you always got. We need to try something different.

That said, I believe we’ll have a terrific season. Geez, it’s only one game and we are very talented. No need to be depressed!!

The problem for us is that when your local ACC fan (I live in W-S and they are all that's here) sees that we lost to NW they will dismiss us as second rate.
Who gives a #### what they think? That's half the fun for being a sleeper pick.

Don’t worry, winning streak is right around the corner.