you might find this interesting

from today’s cincinnati post:

Conference race wide open

Thanks gruehls… B)

A similar article ran in the Observer yesterday. That’s the one Packer was calling Lutz out on.

It’s a compelling arguement. Miami and V Tech move to the ACC, and immediately show success. It’s most unfortunate Packer and company see it instead as whinning on Lutz’s part. I agree wholeheartedly with his comments.

But there’s no excusing, or rationalizing Tulame beating UAB. They just own them.

I’ve been thinking about it this way…

Even before this year, everyone treated the ACC as if they were the most dominant group of teams in the history of basketball EVER.

Now we have Miami and VT (football schools) join up and they show they they show they can contend in ACC basketball. Except for their schedule, Miami and VT are, for all intents and purposes, still Big East teams. For the most part, their players joined thinking they’d be playing in the Big East, not the prestigious ACC.

This says to me that the ACC is VASTLY overrated.

IMHO, relative strength of conferences really doesn’t show until the NCAA tourney. While I am not an ACC fan, it is tough not to see that they have had unparalleled success in the Big Dance, even given their recent couple of down years. On the other hand, CUSA teams have tended to flame out, with Marquette’s final four and last year’s UAB as rare exceptions of CUSA teams that have done better than expected in the tourney.

I am hoping that this year will be an exception, with the Niners and others making some noise at the end of the year. This Niner team of Road Warriors REALLY has the makings of something special come tourney time.

GO NINERS!!!

I AM SO GLAD LUTZ STOOD UP AND FINALLY SAID SOMETHING… I WILL MAKE A SIGN DOWNGRADING THE ACC TONIGHT!!!

I think when you look at what the two conferences have done in the tourney you also need to consider a very important factor… Not having done the research to back it up, it would be my guess that the seeds given out to the ACC and CUSA have been somewhat different with the ACC schools being seeded into positions that promote more success in the tourney. There could be two schools of thought; they earned those seeds or that they got those seeds based on ACC hype.

[i]Originally posted by GoNinersGo[/i]@Jan 26 2005, 01:15 PM [b] I AM SO GLAD LUTZ STOOD UP AND FINALLY SAID SOMETHING... I WILL MAKE A SIGN DOWNGRADING THE ACC TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/b]
Why??? Who cares about the ACC? The 9ers are playing TCU. Make a sign supporting the 9ers instead of a sign that reinforces our supposed "inferiority complex."
[i]Originally posted by NinerMac[/i]@Jan 26 2005, 12:36 PM [b] There could be two schools of thought; they earned those seeds or that they got those seeds based on ACC hype. [/b]
Some of both.
[i]Originally posted by Mr. Bojangles+Jan 26 2005, 01:43 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mr. Bojangles @ Jan 26 2005, 01:43 PM)
[i]Originally posted by run49er+Jan 26 2005, 01:44 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (run49er @ Jan 26 2005, 01:44 PM)
[i]Originally posted by Mr. Bojangles[/i]@Jan 26 2005, 12:43 PM [b] Why??? Who cares about the ACC? The 9ers are playing TCU. Make a sign supporting the 9ers instead of a sign that reinforces our supposed "inferiority complex." [/b]
i agree 100%

Hey Ziltz, I’m no ACC fan either but there is some logic to your post. However, I’m of the mindset that the top teams from the ACC are always solid. It’s the 4, 5 and 6 teams that get way too much respect. Those teams just aren’t that good and it’s like that almost every year. NC State never plays anybody on the road but hangs around the top 25 almost every year. They load up on Elon and Campbell at home because they know the conference schedule will make their RPI look good.

One notable exception is the year Cincy could and IMO would have won it all if Kenyon Martin hadn’t broken his leg in the conf tourney, that’s just dumb luck them and the conference.