YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS!!!!

[i]Originally posted by NinerInsider[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 11:01 AM [b] Let's hurry and get a football team so we can be just like ECU.....A LAUGHING STOCK! What conference would we be in? Don't kid yourself to think that we would be in anything close to a decent conference. Who could we possibly get to coach us? ECU, which has a great tradition, get some no name from Florida who is stinking up the joint!

[/b]

It’s not about winning to start out. It’s about improving student life, getting more Alums involved, and raising the profile of the University. We would start out in DI-AA and move our way up.

Something that gives some figures to ponder. Here’s the story from the February 26, 2004 University Times…

Football sidelined until University’s objectives met, National tragedy hindered athletics’ plans to ask community, business leaders for donations
by Sila Vlachou, UT Asst. A&E Editor
February 26, 2004 11:15 AM

Sept. 11, 2001 was not only a national tragedy, but it was the day the prospect of UNC Charlotte fielding a football team went up in smoke.

Prior to the terrorist attack on American capitalism, the University had a committee of leaders and companies in place that was laying the groundwork to determine the feasibility of a Charlotte 49ers’ football team.

“This committee was going the right direction,” said Darrin Spease, associate athletic director for business affairs. “We were trying to figure out how UNC Charlotte could get a football team or whether this community would like to have a football team or not.”

But tragedy struck and major layoffs followed.

Realizing many who had initial interest would not be willing to invest money into the football team due to the declining economy, the committee decided it wasn’t the right time to ask the community if they would like to have a football team. The committee dissolved shortly after.

Since then, UNCC Chancellor James Woodward has repeatedly said the acquisition of a football team would not happen on his watch.

Woodward told a group of student leaders in November that UNCC has yet to pull the trigger on the decision to field a football team given the costs and uncertainties of intercollegiate athletics.

“We have sort of a hard rule on this campus,” Woodward told students. “We don’t put academic programs nor athletic programs in place unless we can compete at the highest level.”

Woodward said a study was conducted by the University two years ago about what it would take to have a competitive Division I football team within seven years and found the costs to be too great at that period of time.

“What we can’t do is announce that we are going to play Division 1 football in five, six or seven years and then change our minds,” said Woodward. “That’s harmful to the reputation of this University.

He does believe it is only a matter of time before the Charlotte 49ers will pick up the pigskin. His successor as well as the athletic director would have to see increased stability in athletics before the University takes on the financial risk of funding a team, he said.

As Woodward’s career is nearing its final year, his focus on moving the University to the highest level of doctoral research status has only strengthened, putting issues such as the football team on the backburner.

“Certainly, if the University had all the things in place, research taken care of, all the buildings built, all the things that are needed to do to complete it’s primary mission, which is to educate the population of North Carolina and particularly this region, then football would probably be more on the front burner,” said Spease.

With the introduction this spring of its 12th doctoral program, infrastructure and environmental systems, the University is only a few years away from joining UNC-Chapel Hill and N.C. State as the third public doctoral research extensive university.

With Woodward’s retirement will come UNCC’s fourth chancellor who will have his own objectives for the University.

But creating a football team takes more than mere interest. Significant amounts of money have to be placed on the table.

Coaches, trainers, support staff, offices, athletic and training facilities, scholarships and travel all have to be considered.

The athletic department studied averages for Conference USA schools a few years ago to estimate financial needs of a football team’s upkeep. It was determined the annual cost to maintain a competitive Division I football team would be around $6.6-7.7 million.

“We couldn’t be in Division II or III simply because you can’t have cross-divisional athletic programs anymore,” said Spease.

Since all current sports in the athletic program participate in Division I, football would have to follow.

In addition to upkeep, the University would have to address initial startup costs regarding a football field. Building a NCAA required 30,000-seat on-campus facility or municipal stadium could cost anywhere between $25-75 million.

A less expensive alternative would be renting the Carolina Panthers’ facilities, but UNCC would run into problems scheduling access and logistics.

With the addition of football, the Charlotte 49ers’ athletic program would have to upgrade its other sports to further comply with Title IX requirements to have an equal number of scholarships for women athletes comparable to men. This could potentially mean the University would have to field more women’s sports programs or take away some men’s teams.

The additional 110 male athletes would need to be countered with 130 female athletes.

According to Spease, UNCC is not an institution that is able to write a multimillion-dollar check, give it to athletics and wish them to have a nice program.

None of the money can come from the state, but only from donations and increases in student fees.

Spease said if students were asked if they would pay more tuition and fees to get a football team, only 10 percent would probably oblige.

“The rest will just say I would like a football team, but I don’t want my tuition and fees to increase,” said Spease.

Given all the costs, Spease said the University is not in a position to have a football team right now.

But that doesn’t stop the question from being asked and rumors from circulating.

UNCC legend has it that a football team would not be created out of respect for University founder Bonnie Cone who was said to have lost a son or nephew to a high school football injury. Others whisper about a mysterious, wealthy donor who wouldn’t give a huge donation without the stipulation of no football. Both of which are not true.

There has been buzz about the 49ers’ recent move to the basketball-rich Atlantic 10 having an impact on the program’s commitment to football.

Spease said the decision to move to the A-10 did not push or pull them from the decision to have football.

First all I think having a football adds to the university experience… w/o we are unable to capture the full potential of the university community. I dont think we even need Div I-A team…theres enough in this state. I would be content with a Div I-AA team. Look how much school spirit and pride ASU and WCU display.

I would be satisfied if a strategic plan would be put into place to see if we can get there… I would give more if we had football. I think there would be more participation with giving to the school in general if they were more connected with the community. I would contribute to a couple of football season tickets NOW knowing theres an organized movement to get where we want to be… kind of reminds me of the ECU fans last year that ponyed up money for virtual bowl tickets because they would be spending that money if the pirates were in a bowl anyways and they knew that the money was going to be used to improve their athletic program… check out their baseball stad under construction…nice… ECU Baseball Stad

More reading: NCAA DIVISION I REQUIREMENTS FOR SCHOLARSHIP FUNDING OF TEAMS

20.9.1 Financial Aid Requirements
20.9.1.1 Maximum Limitations. A member of Division I shall not make an award of financial aid (for which the recipient’s athletics ability is considered in any degree) in excess of the number permitted by the provisions of the bylaws governing Division I financial aid awards limitations (see Bylaw 15.5). (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/94)
20.9.1.2 Minimum Awards. A member of Division I shall provide institutional financial assistance that equals one of the following: (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/94)
A. A minimum of 50 percent of the maximum allowable grants in 14 sports, at least seven of which must be women’s sports. If an institution uses indoor track and field, outdoor track and field and cross country to meet the financial aid criterion, it must award the equivalent of at least 80 percent of the full grants for men and 80 percent of the full grants for women in those sports. If the institution counts two of those three sports to meet the financial aid criterion, it must award the equivalent of at least 70 percent of the full grants for men and 70 percent of the full grants for women. If the institution counts indoor and outdoor track and field as one sport, it must award the equivalent of at least 50 percent of the full grants for men and 50 percent of the full grants for women; (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/94, 10/27/98 effective 8/1/99)
B. Financial aid representing a minimum aggregate expenditure of $877,000 in 2004-05 (with at least $438,000 in women’s sports), exclusive of grants in football and men’s and women’s basketball, provided the aggregate grant value is not less than the equivalent of 38 full grants, with at least 19 full grants for women. The Management Council shall adjust the minimum aggregate figure annually to reflect inflation, based on changes in average national tuition charges for regionally accredited institutions. The Management Council shall announce the revised figure in the fall each year for the subsequent academic year. If the institution does not sponsor men’s or women’s basketball, the minimum aggregate expenditure must be $579,000 in 2004-05 for the gender without the basketball program, but in no case fewer than the equivalent of 29 full grants for that gender; or (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/94, 1/10/95, 1/9/96, 1/14/97 effective 9/1/97, 4/15/97 effective 8/1/98, 10/27/98 effective 8/1/99, 4/13/99, 4/11/00, 4/10/01)
C. A minimum of the equivalent of 50 full grants (at least 25 full grants in women’s sports), exclusive of grants awarded in football and men’s and women’s basketball. If the member institution does not sponsor men’s or women’s basketball, it shall sponsor a minimum of 35 full grants in the sports program for the gender without the basketball program. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/94, 10/27/98 effective 8/1/99, 8/14/02)
D. A minimum of one-half of the required grants or aggregate expenditures cited in A, B or C above, for institutions that depend on exceptional amounts of federal assistance to meet students’ financial needs. This provision shall be applicable to an institution in a given year if the average per-student allotment of Pell Grant dollars for undergraduates reported to the U.S. Department of Education the previous September is more than one standard deviation above the mean for all reporting Division I member institutions that year. If an institution does not qualify under this provision after having been able to do so the previous year, the institution may continue to utilize this alternative for one year and shall not be required to meet the provisions of A, B or C above until the following year. This provision shall be applicable only to institutions that were members of Division I on September 1, 1990. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/94)

REQUIREMENTS FOR DIVISION I-A AND DIVISION I-AA FOOTBALL…

20.9.6 Football Requirements. [I-A] An institution classified in Division I-A shall meet the additional requirements listed below.
20.9.6.1 Sports Sponsorship. The institution shall sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the minimum sports-sponsorship and scheduling requirements set forth in Bylaw 20, including a minimum of six sports involving all-male teams or mixed teams of males and females, and a minimum of eight varsity intercollegiate sports (of which a maximum of two emerging sports per Bylaw 20.02.5 may be utilized) based on the minimum sports sponsorship and scheduling requirements set forth in Bylaw 20 and involving all-female teams, subject to the waiver provision in Bylaw 20.9.3.1. (Revised: 1/11/94 effective 9/1/94; compliance required during the 1993-94 academic year, 4/25/02 effective 8/1/04)
20.9.6.2 Football Scheduling Requirement. [I-A] The institution shall schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football games against members of Division I-A. During the 2004-05 and 2005-06 seasons, the institution shall schedule and play at least four regular season home football games against members of Division I-A. Thereafter, the institution shall schedule and play at least five regular season home games against Division I-A opponents. For purposes of satisfying the scheduling requirement, a contest shall be considered a home contest if it is played in the stadium in which an institution conducts at least 50 percent of its home contests. In addition, an institution may use one home contest against a Division I-A member conducted at a neutral site to satisfy the home-game requirement. (Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/04; 1/12/04)
20.9.6.2.1 Membership Classification of Opponents. [I-A] In determining whether an institution
meets the scheduling criteria of Division I-A, each opponent shall be counted as it was classified on September 1 of the academic year involved.
20.9.6.2.1.1 Reclassifying Opponents. A reclassifying institution shall be counted as a Division I opponent in the year the reclassifying institution must comply with Division I scheduling requirements (i.e., year two of the reclassifying process). (Adopted: 4/15/97, Revised: 3/10/04)
20.9.6.2.1.2 Waiver. [I-A] The members of the Management Council representing Division I-A conferences, by a two-thirds majority of its members present and voting, may grant a waiver of the provisions of Bylaw 20.9.6.2.1 in cases of reclassification of an opponent when there is an enforceable game contract, executed in writing, or in the case of similar contractual problems.
20.9.6.2.1.3 Provisional Opponents. [I-A] A Division I-A provisional institution that has been a member of the Association for a minimum of two years may be counted by its Division I-A active member opponents in meeting their Division I-A scheduling requirements. (Adopted: 1/11/94 effective 9/2/94, Revised: 11/1/01 effective 8/1/02)
20.9.6.3 Football-Attendance Requirements. [I-A] The institution annually shall average at least 15,000 in actual attendance for all home football games. (Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/04)
20.9.6.3.1 Counting Attendance. For purposes of computing attendance figures, an individual may be counted if any one of the following conditions applies: (Revised: 4/25/02, effective8/1/04)
A. Attendees are issued tickets that are collected upon admission to the game and retained; (Revised: 4/25/02, effective 8/1/04)
B. Attendees enter through and are counted by a turnstile that is monitored by a representative of the department of athletics who verifies in writing the accuracy of the count on a per-game basis; or (Revised: 4/25/02, effective 8/1/04)
C. Attendees enter through a gate at which a representative of the department of athletics counts them individually with a manual counter, and the representative provides a written statement verifying the accuracy of the count on a per-game basis. (Revised: 4/25/02, effective 8/1/04)
20.9.6.3.3 Certified Audit. In meeting the football-attendance requirements of Division I-A, an institution must undertake an annual certified audit verifying its football attendance. The audit must be conducted by an outside auditing firm. The audited football actual-attendance figures must be received in the NCAA national office not later than the February 15 following the completion of the football season and NCAA national office staff shall verify compliance with all Division I-A attendance requirements. The certified audit and materials (including the ticket manifest) must be available for inspection for a four-year period. (Adopted: 1/10/92, Revised: 4/25/02, effective 8/1/04)

20.9.7 Division I-AA Football Requirements. [I-AA] An institution classified as Division I-AA shall meet the additional requirements listed below.
20.9.7.1 Sports Sponsorship. [I-AA] The institution shall sponsor in Division I a minimum of:
A. Seven varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the minimum requirements of Bylaws 20.9.3 and 20.9.3.3 and involving all-male teams or mixed teams of males and females, and seven varsity intercollegiate sports (of which a maximum of two emerging sports per Bylaw 20.02.5 may be utilized) based on the minimum requirements of Bylaws 20.9.3 and 20.9.3.3 and involving all-female teams, subject to the waiver provision in Bylaw 20.9.3.1, or (Revised: 1/10/91effective 9/1/94, 1/11/94 effective 9/1/94; compliance required during the 1993-94 academic year)
B. Six varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the minimum requirements of Bylaws 20.9.3 and 20.9.3.3 and involving all-male teams or mixed teams of males and females, and eight varsity intercollegiate sports (of which a maximum of two emerging sports per Bylaw 20.02.5 may be utilized) based on the minimum requirements of Bylaws 20.9.3 and 20.9.3.3 and involving all-female teams, subject to the waiver provision in Bylaw 20.9.3.1. (Revised: 1/11/94 effective 9/1/94; compliance required during the 1993-94 academic year)
20.9.7.2 Football Scheduling Requirement. [I-AA] The institution shall schedule and play more than 50 percent of its football games against members of Division I-A or Division I-AA.
20.9.7.2.1 Membership Classification of Opponents. [I-AA] In determining whether an institution meets the scheduling criteria of Division I-AA, each opponent shall be counted as it was classified on September 1 of the academic year involved.
20.9.7.2.1.1 Reclassifying Opponents. [I-AA] A reclassifying institution shall be counted as a Division I-AA opponent in the year the reclassifying institution must comply with Division I-AA scheduling requirements (i.e., year two of the reclassifying process). (Adopted: 4/15/97; Revised: 3/10/04)

I guess starting out as a losing team would raise our profile! And it is about losing! Do you think people would continually come out and support the team if they kept losing? They won’t even support a winning basketball team, unless we are playing Cincy! Do you think the “college experience” at Houston is improved by having about 5,000 rolling around in an empty stadium before they get their asses handed to them…and Texas is a football state!

Please tell me what big booster is going to give us the incredible amount of money to finance this venture? Dale Halton? She is a great lady who has continually given to the school. You can’t keep going back to the well…

Are we going to play our games at Memorial Stadium? Does no one remember our basketball team playing in the same general area and you couldn’t even bribe the students to attend? Not even for a nationally ranked Louisville team?

Football for UNCC is a pipe dream and shows misplaced priorities!

[i]Originally posted by NinerInsider[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 11:43 AM [b] I guess starting out as a losing team would raise our profile! And it is about losing! Do you think people would continually come out and support the team if they kept losing? They won't even support a winning basketball team, unless we are playing Cincy! Do you think the "college experience" at Houston is improved by having about 5,000 rolling around in an empty stadium before they get their asses handed to them......and Texas is a football state!

Please tell me what big booster is going to give us the incredible amount of money to finance this venture? Dale Halton? She is a great lady who has continually given to the school. You can’t keep going back to the well…

Are we going to play our games at Memorial Stadium? Does no one remember our basketball team playing in the same general area and you couldn’t even bribe the students to attend? Not even for a nationally ranked Louisville team?

Football for UNCC is a pipe dream and shows misplaced priorities! [/b]

Why do you think UNCP wants a football team??? Because they hope it will draw more students to their school.

From the UNCP story: “In 2000 they started a football team at Coastal Carolina,” Chancellor Meadors said. “Since then their enrollment jumped 2,000 students, because of the football team. If (the addition of a football team) we did half of that increase, wouldn’t that be amazing?”

They have an image problem. So do we but to a lesser extent. We can draw students but we need to raise our local, regional and national profile. One way to do is football.

Once we get our new chancellor in place, complete our major construction projects, and get to a pre-determined level in academics, it’s time to add football. Those are the priorities the way I see it. I suspect they are also shared by the administration.

In 10 years, we should have football, IMO.

HP,

When it comes to athletic’s, how is UNCC that different from U of Richmond? UR stadium isn’t much different from a lot of high school stadiums (seating 21,000) and is not located near their campus, and has horrible parking.

I don’t pretend to know all the details, but seems UNCC is taking an awfully critical slant on making a football program happen.

[b]And kiger... money is the problem, a 20,000 member student body that is struggling for more classroom space and a state legislature that pimps old campuses in Chapel Hill and Raleigh. There are plenty of more important needs on the campus than a football program. It is after all, a facility for higher education and research first, athletics is a bonus. [/b]

Then how did UNC-P make it happen??? I’m tried of the money issue as being the reason that we do not have football- the other schools are not using that as a issue(the ones that have made it work)

[b]Are we going to play our games at Memorial Stadium? Does no one remember our basketball team playing in the same general area and you couldn't even bribe the students to attend? Not even for a nationally ranked Louisville team? [/b]

Why not. You can’t really compare basketball to football. 70,000+ attendance football compared to 5-20,000 for basketball, plus it 's only once a week(or every other week really) event.

[b]When it comes to athletic's, how is UNCC that different from U of Richmond? UR stadium isn't much different from a lot of high school stadiums (seating 21,000) and is not located near their campus, and has horrible parking. [/b]

Good point, Elon was using a high school staduim at the begin. We need to use whatever works(Memorial Stadium or BOA)

The difference in Richmond vs. UNC Charlotte: I’d begin first with the only difference that matters: private institution vs. public instituion. Lefty has is right, there likely will be thoughts of a program when UNCC gets to that projected 25,000 student plateau and adequate classroom space. And if alumni like you will pony up to the plate and provide the support instead of moaning and wishing about it. Here’s a novel idea, show them you care now, send an extra check to the University, if something gets paid for sooner, the sooner a 30,000+ seat stadium can be built for football.

pcon, Elon was a longtime, NAIA school and private too. They have moved up in divisions twice now and have not come anywhere close to the success had in the NAIA, even in the Big South Conference. Now in the SoCon, they’re the whipping boys. I might add that Elon is having difficulty in raising $10 million for a law school and unable to get a $6 million loan on a building until that money is in place. Huge corporate donations are not as easy to come by now. BofA is going to cut 12,500 over the next 2 years but is willing to spend millions for naming rights though. Link: Elon races clock for law school financing

Let’s not forget this either, DI-AA East Tennessee State dropped their football program because of the expense this year.

[i]Originally posted by pcon[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 12:48 PM [b]

Then how did UNC-P make it happen??? I’m tried of the money issue as being the reason that we do not have football- the other schools are not using that as a issue(the ones that have made it work)

[/b]

UNC-PemBROKE didn’t make it happen yet. They’ll probably fall flat on their faces.

Somebody bury this horse.

HP,

I give a fair amount every year, which is matched by employer, to UNCC. I think I can moan all I want.

Humor me -> What does URichmond being a private institution have to do with fielding a football program which plays in a 20,000 seat stadium off campus?

Athletic programs and academic standing are more related than many would like to think. The increase in enrollment at Coastal Carolina is a great example. The University of Maryland has seen its academic ranking rise over the past couple of years, and administrators aren’t afraid to point out that a lot of the reason why is the recent success of its football and basketball programs.

We would have major advantages over other 1AA programs due to our large enrollment and alumni base. We may lose a lot in the beginning, but eventually we could have a winning program on the 1AA level. Didn’t we stink in basketball until around 15 years ago?

[b]Somebody bury this horse. [/b]

If you don’t like the topic, don’t participate in the discussion.

This horse is far from dead.

[i]Originally posted by NovaNiner[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 04:19 PM [b] Didn't we stink in basketball until around 15 years ago? [/b]
Not to disagree with you Nova but I am amazed at the question. 117 wins, 25 losses over the five seasons of 1973-78, including a NIT final and the Final Four don't count? But don't include the Wisselball seasons please. :blink:

Our alumni base is crap, their donations are poor to minimal at best for the numbers that have graduated.

Quick question for HP or someone else in the know. Is Memorial Stadium even large enough to qualify as a D1 stadium? I thnk it only seats about 25,000.

Over40, as long as you can average 15,000 fans in a stadium (and provided a certified audit stating this to be true), a school can remain Division I-A in football.

Here are the simplified rules:

1. Annually award 90 percent (77) of the permissible maximum number of football scholarships, Division I-AA is for 63 scholarships.
  2. Play five home games against Division I-A schools.
  3. Sponsor at least 16 varsity sports, with at least six for men and eight for women.
  4. Average 15,000 in home football attendance and provide audited figures by February.

Here is a story that ran in the Greensboro News & Record last year when NC A&T was considering a move to Division I-A. It provides some budget numbers.

A&T Backs OFf Division I-A Move
By John Newsome and Jeff Carlton, Staff Writers, Greensboro News & Record
February 20, 2003

N.C. A&T has decided not to make the jump to Division I-A in football, Chancellor James Renick said Wednesday.

Renick, who announced his decision during the university’s board of trustees meeting, said the move would cost too many millions of dollars and distract A&T from its academic mission.

A&T’s football team plays in Division I-AA, the NCAA’s second-highest division, and its other teams play at the Division I level. If A&T had made the move, it would have been the nation’s first historically black college to compete at college football’s highest level.

"After careful consideration, I have decided, given the current state of the economy, that the fiscal demands of making this move are just too great,’’ Renick told trustees.

"Our goal should be to excel in the MEAC, both academically and athletically,’’ Renick added, referring to the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference. "We will not be declaring our intent to move toward Division I-A.’’

Trustees Chairman Ralph Shelton praised the decision.

"I certainly think he has done the right thing,’’ said Shelton, a Greensboro business owner. "Academics is first on this campus. We don’t want this NCAA thing to take precedence over academics.’’

John Petty, national president of A&T’s alumni association, said alumni are less interested in playing at college football’s highest level and more concerned about winning at whatever level the Aggies are playing.

"We’re on target, we’re still focused, and we’re still going in a direction the chancellor wants to go,’’ Petty said. "And I think the alumni are 100 percent behind this chancellor and where they’re going.’’

Athletics director Charlie Davis had hoped to elevate the Aggie football program to the I-A level within five years of his October arrival at A&T. He said Wednesday he believes Renick is merely putting the project on hold, not shelving it for good.

"What I have to do is make this athletic department as strong as possible,’’ Davis said, "so that when it is looked at again - and it will be - the shortfalls in this athletic department aren’t things that will hinder (the university) from making what I think are positive decisions.

"It will be the right decision,’’ Davis added. "I can dream all I want, but we’ve got work to be done.’’

A spokesman for Alabama financier Donald Watkins said Watkins will offer his resources to another historically black school serious about going to I-A.

Watkins said he would commit his financial expertise and resources if Renick declared to the NCAA that A&T would move up to Division I-A. Renick said Jan. 10 that he would not apply for I-A status before reviewing the findings of an internal feasibility study, which was completed in January.

"The A&T family decided not to be the trailblazer,’’ said the spokesman, William Parker. "There will be a historically black college that goes to Division I-A, and North Carolina A&T decided not to be the school to break into the I-A family. That’s OK. There will be other schools that pick up the baton.’’

But that task could be daunting. New NCAA regulations that take effect in August 2004 would require Division I football programs to:

• Annually award 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of football scholarships, which would be 77 under current policy. The I-AA limit is 63 grants.
  • Play five home games against other I-A schools.
  • Sponsor at least 16 varsity sports, with at least six for men and eight for women. A&T has five men’s teams and seven women’s teams.
  • Average 15,000 in home football attendance. A&T averaged 16,798 fans in 2002.

These things cost money - a lot of money - and the university’s internal study kept coming back to money.

A&T officials, based on its review of Troy State and Marshall and other former I-AA schools that play Division I-A football, estimated the annual athletics department budget would have to increase to approximately $18 million to sustain a I-A football program.

That money would be needed to pay for additional sports, more scholarships, extra coaches and athletics tutors, team travel and athletics department staff, among other things, said David Hoard, vice chancellor for development and university relations.

[b][u]The university’s current athletics budget is about $4.2 million.

A&T would need about another $30 million to $40 million to upgrade its stadium and athletics facilities to meet Division I standards.[/u][/b]

A&T could have raised money by raising ticket prices, getting more individual gifts and sponsorships and signing television deals - but not in this economy, Hoard said.

Another concern was that money-raising efforts for football might interfere with A&T’s largest-ever campus fund drive, a $100 million effort that kicked off last fall.

"It’s a hard decision,’’ Hoard said of deciding not to move to Division I-A status. "But once you look at the numbers, it’s not a hard decision.’’

For now, A&T will focus on improving its football team and raising more money for sports.

New head football coach George Small hopes to improve the Aggies’ 4-8 record of a year ago. The new Victory Club, launched this fall, hopes to raise $2.5 million in three years for A&T’s athletics program.

"You never say never,’’ Renick said about future plans to move up to Division I-A. "But we’re not planning on making that move at this time.’’

I swore I was done with this site and topic, but…

until we get a real athletic director and chancellor, this is a pipe dream.

this is a project that requires clout and political power to get the funds and financial endorsements, not someone worried about their resume’ unwilling to manage risk.

WCU, App, AT, etc all find a way to get it done “without state funds” (1AA would suit me) but we will always use rhetoric and propaganda like numbers to justify not starting football.

good luck to UNCP and congrats for understanding the importance of weekend student life and alums having a reason to come back on campus.

[i]Originally posted by metro[/i]@Oct 8 2004, 05:17 PM [b] I swore I was done with this site and topic, but....... [/b]
Why did you swear you were done with the site?