YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS!!!!

[b] I swore I was done with this site and topic, but........[/b]

REALLY!!! You swore you were done with the site?

[i]Originally posted by MKNiner+Oct 8 2004, 12:50 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (MKNiner @ Oct 8 2004, 12:50 PM)
[b][b]In addition to the surveys, gender issues will be evaluated, start up costs identified, infrastructure needs listed and annual operating costs detailed for a NCAA Division II football team. Itā€™s too early in the process to finalize the start up costs of an NCAA Division II football program. One core value UNCP will have with this report is not to reduce the current funding in order to establish a football team. The feasibility study will examine funding models that allow a university to create a new team without diminishing or financially impacting the ones we already have. -- UNCP Athletic Director Dan Kenney[/b][/b]
[url=http://www.uncp.edu/news/2004/football.htm][b]UNCP to study addition of football program[/b][/url], University and Community Relations Office

If thereā€™s such a funding model out there, will someone publish it?

We would not draw 70,000 to a football game even it was once a year! Do you really think that people are going to flock to Memorial Stadium to see us play, um, say UNCP, Davidson, JCSU? These are the kind of games we would be playing for a couple of years. The football fans in this town have allegiances to other schools and are either going to see them play on Saturday or they are by the TV to watch their team play. They are not so desperate that they will go to see the Niners. Again, we donā€™t get the average fan from Charlotte for basketball so it wonā€™t happen with football. Keep dreaming if you think it will.

Again I ask, will the students go to Memorial Stadium to see us play. If we get half from the campus we would be lucky. Then the die hards, so maybe in the range of 5-10,000 per game. A half empty, high school stadium. That would be a boost for the university!

What womenā€™s sports do you propose to add to make up the difference in scholarships that adding football would create? More money spent for nothing. Football and menā€™s basketball would be the only revenue sports. Do you think that some money will be diverted from basketball to football to support that? Uh, yea!
So, the next time we lose a coach because we cannot pay what other schools do, oh well!

Last time I checked, UNCC is overcrowded and does not have the proper facilities as it is. Do you think they need to encourage more people to apply? I believe you do that with better course offerings such as doctorates and such.

Admit it, most people want football because it will give them just one more reason to get wasted on a Saturday afternoon. As if doing that at Panther games isnā€™t enough!

I often wonder how things would be now if we had started football back in the 70ā€™s, 80ā€™s, or even 90ā€™s.

I think the bottom line is that most of us would love to have football but at the same time realize the expenses & headaches involved.

[i]Originally posted by NinerInsider[/i]@Oct 9 2004, 01:05 PM [b] We would not draw 70,000 to a football game even it was once a year! Do you really think that people are going to flock to Memorial Stadium to see us play, um, say UNCP, Davidson, JCSU? These are the kind of games we would be playing for a couple of years. The football fans in this town have allegiances to other schools and are either going to see them play on Saturday or they are by the TV to watch their team play. They are not so desperate that they will go to see the Niners. Again, we don't get the average fan from Charlotte for basketball so it won't happen with football. Keep dreaming if you think it will.

Again I ask, will the students go to Memorial Stadium to see us play. If we get half from the campus we would be lucky. Then the die hards, so maybe in the range of 5-10,000 per game. A half empty, high school stadium. That would be a boost for the university!

What womenā€™s sports do you propose to add to make up the difference in scholarships that adding football would create? More money spent for nothing. Football and menā€™s basketball would be the only revenue sports. Do you think that some money will be diverted from basketball to football to support that? Uh, yea!
So, the next time we lose a coach because we cannot pay what other schools do, oh well!

Last time I checked, UNCC is overcrowded and does not have the proper facilities as it is. Do you think they need to encourage more people to apply? I believe you do that with better course offerings such as doctorates and such.

Admit it, most people want football because it will give them just one more reason to get wasted on a Saturday afternoon. As if doing that at Panther games isnā€™t enough! [/b]

We already have a facility to start football in. Belk track. It would be ready with modest upgrades. Games on campus are a must.

1AA shuold be the goal and keep it at that level. App has an excellent football environment and you donā€™t hear their officials and message boards complaining about itā€™s expense. Our schoolā€™s problem is they have publicly gone on the record saying there is no interest until there is a reality of being D1A after the initial 1AA play in period like USF and UAB did (btw, UAB beat Miss St Saturday). Going 1A jeopordizes too much, but 1AA is financially responsible and realistic.

Its gonna take a 49er on our athletic dept senior staff for football to ever happen. Not one of them is a Niner. The lone 49er to ever be on the senior athletic staff even had too much school pride for them.

The old track (is that the Belk Track?) is going to be demolished next year (?) to make way for a parking deck for the new Student Union.

[i]Originally posted by NinerInsider[/i]@Oct 9 2004, 01:05 PM [b] we don't get the average fan from Charlotte for basketball so it won't happen with football. [/b]
Thank you.

When I see this issue go away, Iā€™ll be the biggest Charlotte 49er football fan anyone has ever seen.

This school has the most underappreciated (in terms of butts in seats) basketball program in NC, SC & VA. IMO its scary to imagine the turnout for football. Sure you may get 80% of the fans on this board. But thats 80% of a very small sample.

To get even 50% of the average area fans you better be ready to something drasticā€¦like offering 2 for 1 tickets on all home games for the 1st 2-3 seasons.

[i]Originally posted by C49er[/i]@Oct 10 2004, 11:19 PM [b] The old track (is that the Belk Track?) is going to be demolished next year (?) to make way for a parking deck for the new Student Union. [/b]
No C49er, he meant the Belk Track & Field Center/Transamenrica Field. I don't know jow many it seats permanently or if enough temporary bleacher seats could even put there for football.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er+Oct 11 2004, 07:27 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (HP49er @ Oct 11 2004, 07:27 AM)

I think playing Div1-AA football on campus would be pretty close to ideal.

[b]Our alumni base is crap, their donations are poor to minimal at best for the numbers that have graduated.[/b]

Football may lose numbers in the books at first, however I would think this would improve our alumni donations over time. I know for a fact that I stay in touch with UNC Charlotte because of athletics but I also give to the school outside of athletics too.

Also, really trivial but i think you would see more 49er ā€œgearā€ in stores and on peopleā€™s backs. If you get 15k to a home football game 5x a year then they are going to buy some 49er apparel. We avg more bball attendance then ECU or App St but they are certainly represented in the gear categoryā€¦in fact both are featured on a mostly ACC online store at The Conference Store

Putting our name out here more in fall has got to help in the long run and it could be worth a break-even status or slight loss at first in the athletics budget.

[i]Originally posted by NinerInsider[/i]@Oct 9 2004, 02:05 PM [b] We would not draw 70,000 to a football game even it was once a year! Do you really think that people are going to flock to Memorial Stadium to see us play, um, say UNCP, Davidson, JCSU? These are the kind of games we would be playing for a couple of years. [/b]
Actually, If UNCC started a program they could be playing teams like Richmond, James Madison, William & Mary, Western Carolina, etc...

The Colonial Athletic Association will be starting a football conference. I am sure you could join as ā€œfootball onlyā€ due to the fact they will have only 6 football playing members.

The future football playing members areā€¦ Towson State, W & M, Delaware, James Madison, Hofstra, (who knows who is 6)

It would be a decent start. With a little luck and planning, UNCC could move up quickly like USF and UAB.

East Carolina, Marshall, UAB, UCF, USM, Memphis, Houston, and Tulane could split from C-USA, ask Charlotte to re-join and make a stronger football and basketball conference. The C-USA travel issues would be reduced, and ECU fans would have teams we can visit. Everyone is happy! :slight_smile:

I canā€™t help but beat the dead horse.

Basketball and football attendance arenā€™t related, so I wish we would stop using that as an excuse.

2004 Menā€™s Basketball Attendance Leaders

#68 Penn State
#69 Florida State
#73 Charlotte
#74 Kansas State
#75 Virginia
#76 West Virginia
#78 Auburn
#83 Stanford
#84 Virginia Tech
And about 200 other teams that draw less than us in basketball that have Division 1 or 1AA football teams.

http://www.ncaa.org/stats/m_basketball/attā€¦ball_attend.pdf

The review was completed a few years ago. The findings were available online at one time. I believe the cost would be something like 10 million to gear up and 3 million annually.

The push will come from wealthy supporters of the University. Then the Athletic department, then the Chancellor, then the students, then the Alumni and it will have to be passed by the Board of Trustees and then the UNC Board of Governors.

you snap hooked that one in the woods

Pembroke has students and alums? :slight_smile:

Pembroke has students and alums? :)
UNC Pembroke: One step above Junior College, two giant leaps below a University.