Your Observer questions answered ...

I saw in todays paper the UNC Charlotte will have its basketball preview done Friday…

I almost expect a slip from the national media and that douche bag from Winston who calls us UNC Charlotte on purpose… But how is it the LOCAL paper can’t get the name right?:huh:

Actually, Metro, I do see the big deal on this one. Even if it's only in perception, the circulation and marketing departments made my job harder with this program. I wish they had not gone this route.

well…not because it would piss off the 49er fans…

you are fretting all the SEC, Duke, Wake, Big10, etc calls :lol:

[QUOTE=metro;358244]It’s all Judy’s fault[/QUOTE] Fixed.

I have no idea. That's a promotions/circulation deal. They don't consult me. I'll ask the question and if I get an answer I'll let you know.

If they offered a Charlotte hat, would you subscribe?

UPDATE: Circulation folks say they chose Panthers and NASCAR because of interest in the area and the time of the year. The Tar Heels hats are a test to see if college material can drive any circulation, and if it’s successful they could expand the program to include other Carolinas schools, including Charlotte. If the Tar Heels hats don’t work, they will assume college market is too fragmented and scratch that part of the program.

It’s very possible that I would. If they would offer the hat with the weekend subscription I definitely would.

But I guess my point is that by offering only 1 UNC-CH hat would not prevent a UNC-CH fan from subscribing. IMO, 1 option would enough to persuade somebody on the fence. And a second school would persuade more than a second hat for the same school.

the Observer knows for a fact 3 items sell copies: Panthers, JR, UNCCH

I don’t see the big deal

I get your point, but the same argument can be made for the articles Mike chooses to print because it sells papers. Yet we complain about that.

My biggest gripe with the hats was that they offered 2 UNC-CH options. The logic that they think a second UNC-CH choice would bring more subscribers than one for the local school is beyond me. And it also goes directly against exact quotes that it is not their job to “promote the school”.

charlotte.com lead story- davis committed to unc (sic)

newsobserver.com lead story- obama visits white house

clt rests his case.

[QUOTE=cltniners;358319]

clt rests his case.[/QUOTE]

Somehow I doubt that.

clt rests his case.

sit back and watch the fireworks, it will be fun

Davis is gone at UNC. They can’t give him another dime after the flack they took for his raise. Now he can go make 4m at UT a football religion school…twice what he makes now at UNCCH 2.1m

he’s gone…Saban style

clt rests his case.

You obviously don’t know **** about geography. If you look at a map, you’ll see chapel hill is located in the Charlotte metro area and not in the Triangle. That’s why they get the Observer’s front page but not the front page in the Triangle. :shades: :shades: :shades:

[URL]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/318636.html[/URL]

I realize this is from the N&O out of Raliegh, but it’s still on Charlotte.com - is this really worth an entire article?

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;358331]Somehow I doubt that.[/QUOTE]

clt says you are correct my friend. clt will continue to point out the bias in your paper, especially the online version.

I don’t control the online. But the difference between online and the newspaper is they know EXACTLY what people who visit charlotte.com are reading, down to the page view. If people weren’t reading those stories in great numbers, I doubt they’d be displaying them so prominently. The hard truth: news about the Tar Heels draws eyeballs to charlotte.com in a way that news of no other school does.

More hard truth: news about the Tar Heels draws the Observer to my butt to wipe in a way that no other school or newspaper does.

People want what they are force fed. They are force fed tarholes tarholes tarholes, then of course it will bring the most page views. For Christ’s sake, your marketing department is testing the ability of “college basketball” to add subscribers, without even a control for anyone other than UNC-CH.

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;358573]People want what they are force fed. They are force fed tarholes tarholes tarholes, then of course it will bring the most page views. For Christ’s sake, your marketing department is testing the ability of “college basketball” to add subscribers, without even a control for anyone other than UNC-CH.[/QUOTE]

So we’re forcing people to click? And here I thought the internet was about choice …

[URL]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/318636.html[/URL]

I realize this is from the N&O out of Raliegh, but it’s still on Charlotte.com - is this really worth an entire article?

Yes, and a front page breaking news one at that. DUH! /sarcasm

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;358563]I don’t control the online. But the difference between online and the newspaper is they know EXACTLY what people who visit charlotte.com are reading, down to the page view. If people weren’t reading those stories in great numbers, I doubt they’d be displaying them so prominently. The hard truth: news about the Tar Heels draws eyeballs to charlotte.com in a way that news of no other school does.[/QUOTE]

clt says not so fast my friend…

* Most Viewed

What was up with Jake?
  Friends recall Gateway Village shooting victims as funny, athletic
  Teen doesn't hear train, is killed
  Women robbed at gunpoint outside Trader Joe's
  UNC murder suspect's brother killed
  Safety officials investigate uptown crane accident

[QUOTE=cltniners;358613]clt says not so fast my friend…

* Most Viewed

What was up with Jake?
  Friends recall Gateway Village shooting victims as funny, athletic
  Teen doesn't hear train, is killed
  Women robbed at gunpoint outside Trader Joe's
  UNC murder suspect's brother killed
  Safety officials investigate uptown crane accident[/QUOTE]

Moments in time don’t give the whole picture. They know, over time, what produces clicks online. And the Tar Heels are a proven click producer. I know you’d rather not hear that. Why do you think I tell folks not to post stories and blogs in their entirety on here? So you get credit for clicking at charlotteobserver.com and we get an accurate picture.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;358624]Moments in time don’t give the whole picture. They know, over time, what produces clicks online. And the Tar Heels are a proven click producer. I know you’d rather not hear that. Why do you think I tell folks not to post stories and blogs in their entirety on here? So you get credit for clicking at charlotteobserver.com and we get an accurate picture.[/QUOTE]

clt says that a nude pic of scarlett johanson would drive hits, but you dont see it on cnn.

the o is biased and is attempting to shape views. if the heels draw so many clicks, why doesn’t their HOMETOWN newspaper (the n&0 by the way) put them on thier webpage.

clt doubts if that story even made the school newspaper.

clt, I admire your persistence but you know Mike’s deal…he’s full of crap!..We know he’s not going to change anything in our favor and he is going to always have a “reason” (bs line) for the way he (they) does things!