Your Observer questions answered ...

[QUOTE=919R;358767]clt, I admire your persistence but you know Mike’s deal…he’s full of crap!..We know he’s not going to change anything in our favor and he is going to always have a “reason” (bs line) for the way he (they) does things![/QUOTE]

clt says it will stop when the o goes under, which is sad.

I hear ya’.

Mike, you know as well as I do that people are influenced by what they read in the paper and how it is presented. Do not tell us the Observer does not affect the way people think. We ALL know better.

I even know grads of chapel hill that think the Observer shows them favortism and shafts the Niners. One of them has even stated the reason most people “hate” the Observer is because of the favortism shown by all the “chapel hill grads”.

I don't control the online. But the difference between online and the newspaper is they know EXACTLY what people who visit charlotte.com are reading, down to the page view. If people weren't reading those stories in great numbers, I doubt they'd be displaying them so prominently. The hard truth: news about the Tar Heels draws eyeballs to charlotte.com in a way that news of no other school does.

But…would the readership change if the coverage changed?

I don’t doubt that they draw more. But I think they argument many of us make is about perception. If people are only given a fraction of coverage as another school, then the general public is going to perceive the school with less coverage as less newsworthy. When in fact, as far as newsworthy goes, they should be equal. They both have teams, they both have players, they both play games, they both have fans. Nothing distinguishes them as far as “news” goes. Yet the general public will think, they don’t play in the same division, if they did they would be treated the same.

If I’m John Smith, I just moved to Charlotte and want to connect with a local school, which school am I going to chose. The one that gets 5 articles or the one that gets 1 article? That’s what people are referring to about perception and being forced fed. Its not so much that you’re making them click the story. But if you give a consumer a choice of a car with 20 options versus one with 5 options, they’re going to chose the car with the most options almost every time.

But...would the readership change if the coverage changed?

I don’t doubt that they draw more. But I think they argument many of us make is about perception. If people are only given a fraction of coverage as another school, then the general public is going to perceive the school with less coverage as less newsworthy. When in fact, as far as newsworthy goes, they should be equal. They both have teams, they both have players, they both play games, they both have fans. Nothing distinguishes them as far as “news” goes. Yet the general public will think, they don’t play in the same division, if they did they would be treated the same.

If I’m John Smith, I just moved to Charlotte and want to connect with a local school, which school am I going to chose. The one that gets 5 articles or the one that gets 1 article? That’s what people are referring to about perception and being forced fed. Its not so much that you’re making them click the story. But if you give a consumer a choice of a car with 20 options versus one with 5 options, they’re going to chose the car with the most options almost every time.

rational arguments are not welcome in the Observer world.

clt asks mike p about the most viewed stories currently on clt.com

Teachers disciplined for Facebook postings
  Autopsy: Boy had toxic level of pain reliever
  Making room for startups
  Charlotte AD reprimands Lutz
  Barry Saunders on Steve Smith: Giant leap into shame?
  Bobcats lose their heads, and game

[QUOTE=cltniners;359076]clt asks mike p about the most viewed stories currently on clt.com

Making room for startups
  Bobcats lose their heads, and game[/QUOTE]

I think the most hit came from Roy “I don’t give a &%*# about NC” William OD himself on doughnuts this morning.:tongue:

[QUOTE=Niner89;359085]I think the most hit came from Roy “I don’t give a &%*# about NC” William OD himself on doughnuts this morning.:tongue:[/QUOTE]

clt is curious where ol roy is eating lunch today…mike, where is the story?

[QUOTE=cltniners;359076]clt asks mike p about the most viewed stories currently on clt.com

Making room for startups
  Bobcats lose their heads, and game[/QUOTE]

That only happened because it was a holiday. Those results don’t really count.

But...would the readership change if the coverage changed?

I seriously doubt you get a response to this one.

[QUOTE=Normmm;358953]But…would the readership change if the coverage changed?

If I’m John Smith, I just moved to Charlotte and want to connect with a local school, which school am I going to chose. The one that gets 5 articles or the one that gets 1 article? That’s what people are referring to about perception and being forced fed. Its not so much that you’re making them click the story. But if you give a consumer a choice of a car with 20 options versus one with 5 options, they’re going to chose the car with the most options almost every time.[/QUOTE]great post. i thought about mike while watching a godfather movie commercial on tv this week. [quote]Keep your friends close. [B]BUT KEEP YOUR ENEMIES CLOSER.[/B][/QUOTE] that has to be the only reason he comes over here.

I sent Yolanda James an email asking her why the photo captions call us “UNC Charlotte” on a consistent basis, despite the school’s athletics not going by that anymore. Her response was…

that is how we write UNC Charlotte.
Does the Observer have a different policy for different sections, especially since the sports section has typically been very good about not using the "UNC"?

[QUOTE=J Felt;360577]I sent Yolanda Johnson an email asking her why the photo captions call us “UNC Charlotte” on a consistent basis, despite the school’s athletics not going by that anymore. Her response was…

Does the Observer have a different policy for different sections, especially since the sports section has typically been very good about not using the “UNC”?[/QUOTE]

It’s Yolanda James, speaking of getting names right.

The news sections – and sports for that matter – still refer to the university by the full name, and the sports programs by Charlotte. Those slide shows pick up whatever the photographer types, so if she used the news style that’s what it picked up.

I’ll talk to the director of photography Monday.

It's Yolanda James, speaking of getting names right.

The news sections – and sports for that matter – still refer to the university by the full name, and the sports programs by Charlotte. Those slide shows pick up whatever the photographer types, so if she used the news style that’s what it picked up.

I’ll talk to the director of photography Monday.

Ha, good one, Mike. I’m sorry I got her name wrong.

Thanks for picking up on it.

Question:

Are ya’ll really hurting this bad for cash?
[URL]http://www.observerdigital.com/tmp/ad/T_shirt-historicfront.jpg[/URL]

Regardless of political beliefs, that is the biggest joke I have ever seen.

[QUOTE=ninerID;361791]Question:

Are ya’ll really hurting this bad for cash?
[URL]http://www.observerdigital.com/tmp/ad/T_shirt-historicfront.jpg[/URL]

Regardless of political beliefs, that is the biggest joke I have ever seen.[/QUOTE]

If it pays for sports travel, I don’t have a problem with it. We have sold front-page t-shirts before – Panthers, Hornets mostly.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;360579]It’s Yolanda James, speaking of getting names right.

I’ll talk to the director of photography Monday.[/QUOTE]

clt asks mike when the o will properly refer to unc ch as unc ch and not unc.

[QUOTE=cltniners;361955]clt asks mike when the o will properly refer to unc ch as unc ch and not unc.[/QUOTE]

Good to know there are still people in the world who dream big.

Good to know there are still people in the world who dream big.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Mike, I remember the day when some of your comebacks were somewhat respectable.

Mikes right on this one guys. They shouldn’t be refered to as UNC-Ch.

Just [COLOR=MediumTurquoise]CHAPEL HILL[/COLOR] will do.