Your Observer questions answered ...

Mikes right on this one guys. They shouldn't be refered to as UNC-Ch.

Just [COLOR=mediumturquoise]CHAPEL HILL[/COLOR] will do.

Most of the grads I know DO refer to it as chapel hill. I still don’t know why Mike is so stuck on the UNC. He’s one of the few grads I know that actually does call it “unc”. The wannabees are the ones that primarily call it “unc”.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;361967]Good to know there are still people in the world who dream big.[/QUOTE]

clt says thanks for the great answer mike. also, shouldn’t a newspaper strive for accuracy? unc is not the correct name for unc ch. are you going to start calling bank of america “bank”?

I don’t want to seem like a Chapel Hill supporter here, but think this through guys. We want to be called Charlotte, that is a decision of our Athletics department. We get FURIOUS when someone does not call us Charlotte. Have you ever stopped to consider that people call them UNC because that is what their athletics department portrays them as? It’s no different than us being called Charlotte, sans the fact that we feel our toes are being stepped on because UNC is the system.

I understand the general disdain, and it is in large part due to little brother syndrome. I can’t stand chapel hill, but I don’t think this is Mike’s doing, the Big O’s doing, or anyone else. Every other news outlet in the country refers to them as UNC. I wish this was one argument we could just let die.

[QUOTE=cltniners;362241]clt says thanks for the great answer mike. also, shouldn’t a newspaper strive for accuracy? unc is not the correct name for unc ch. are you going to start calling bank of america “bank”?[/QUOTE]
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

clt you’re too funny!

I don't want to seem like a Chapel Hill supporter here, but think this through guys. We want to be called Charlotte, that is a decision of our Athletics department. We get FURIOUS when someone does not call us Charlotte. Have you ever stopped to consider that people call them UNC because that is what their athletics department portrays them as? It's no different than us being called Charlotte, sans the fact that we feel our toes are being stepped on because UNC is the system.

I understand the general disdain, and it is in large part due to little brother syndrome. I can’t stand chapel hill, but I don’t think this is Mike’s doing, the Big O’s doing, or anyone else. Every other news outlet in the country refers to them as UNC. I wish this was one argument we could just let die.

The difference is no one else can claim the name Charlotte, but 15 other places can claim UNC!

I understand that argument, I do, whole-heartedly. Unfortunately, it is a product of circumstance. I mean, Chapel Hill had University of North Carolina on their diplomas until when? I don’t see it changing any time soon, and I think the more we harp on it, the more we look like the nagging little brother saying “look at me! look what I can do! That’s not fair!”

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;362381]I understand that argument, I do, whole-heartedly. Unfortunately, it is a product of circumstance. I mean, Chapel Hill had University of North Carolina on their diplomas until when? I don’t see it changing any time soon, and I think the more we harp on it, the more we look like the nagging little brother saying “look at me! look what I can do! That’s not fair!”[/QUOTE]

clt says that we will be the big brother soon.

I understand that argument, I do, whole-heartedly. Unfortunately, it is a product of circumstance. I mean, Chapel Hill had University of North Carolina on their diplomas until when? I don't see it changing any time soon, and I think the more we harp on it, the more we look like the nagging little brother saying "look at me! look what I can do! That's not fair!"

So we should reward them for not having the foresight to see the naming scheme will cause problems, that they created a “greater than thou” attitude, that they have put up roadblocks for making it better for other schools?

The difference is no one else can claim the name Charlotte, but 15 other places can claim UNC!
16 when you include the University of Northern Colorado.

clt finds this interesting. unc ch clearly markets its athletic programs as “unc” which only exists as a name for the unc system. the unc system should control this brand, not one school

Is Chapel Hill beating a division II team really more important than Charlotte satisfying one of the goals of Dubois for football?

charlotteobserver.com’s front page thinks so.

[QUOTE=ninerID;364794]Is Chapel Hill beating a division II team really more important than Charlotte satisfying one of the goals of Dubois for football?

charlotteobserver.com’s front page thinks so.[/QUOTE]

Silly Fool! The Tarholes are Gods foolish mortal! Worship with the Observer daily!

Top results for searching “UNC” on Google (in this order, not skipping anything):

[QUOTE]
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of North Carolina Tarheels Official Athletic Site
The University of Northern Colorado, Greeley Colorado
UNC Charlotte - Home Page
UNC School of Medicine
University of North Carolina <-- the system’s page
[/QUOTE]

UNC-Chapel Hill is 1st, UNC Charlotte is 4th, the UNC system page is 6th, and the next system (UNC Asheville) is 10th.

Top results for searching "UNC" on Google (in this order, not skipping anything):

UNC-Chapel Hill is 1st, UNC Charlotte is 4th, the UNC system page is 6th, and the next system (UNC Asheville) is 10th.

confusinggggggggggggggg:unhappy:

Top results for searching "UNC" on Google (in this order, not skipping anything):

When I did a google, chapel hill was first, then UNC Charlotte was second.

[QUOTE=The 49ers Insider;365027]When I did a google, chapel hill was first, then UNC Charlotte was second.[/QUOTE]

That’s not good!

We better let the Tarholes know we’ve moved up too far in the google list so they can push us back down with new websites. :lmao:

argggggg!!! :cuss:

I don’t care what typing in UNC brings up. I want to type in Charlotte and have us be #1, not #10 on the googles.

We better let the Tarholes know we've moved up too far in the google list so they can push us back down with new websites. :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Nice one FootballNow.

I just tried “UNC 49ers” and it brings up Niner basketball, Niner baseball, Niner gear, etc… so does that mean we are really UNC and chapel hill should start using their official name?

Hey Mike or Jim, any idea how long its been since the Niners started 1-3, or worse? Sorry if it was already posted in a story and I missed it. (please note, no sarcasm or criticism meant in this post. genuine curiosity.)