1 month till baseball season

Tickets to the NCSU game at BB&T go on sale Feb 21.

Charlotte 49ers vs. NC State Game Pricing[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=14px]:[/size][/font]
Upper Club/Home Plate Club - $15
Field Box / HR Seats / Power Alley - $10
College Students (with school ID) - $8

Recruiting has picked up. We’re getting a different caliber of player than we did in the A-10. We’ve got our second C-USA class on campus this year, but we’re still working to build depth. And that was before the dismissals. While I don’t expect us to finish last, I don’t blame anyone for picking us last. You’re right about our location, this is a good spot for baseball talent. Our facilities are not terrible by any means, but they’re not near the top of our conference either. We could use a place to practice indoors this time of year.[/quote]

Yes we could, I believe they have already had to move practice into a gym. Having an indoor infield and hitting cages would do wonders for our program imo.[/quote]

The first day of practice was moved indoors to the Showcase Baseball Academy complex down in Matthews. It looks like a very nice facility. I’m glad we are able to gain access to it, but I would much rather have a facility on campus for our guys to use.

Recruiting has picked up. We’re getting a different caliber of player than we did in the A-10. We’ve got our second C-USA class on campus this year, but we’re still working to build depth. And that was before the dismissals. While I don’t expect us to finish last, I don’t blame anyone for picking us last. You’re right about our location, this is a good spot for baseball talent. Our facilities are not terrible by any means, but they’re not near the top of our conference either. We could use a place to practice indoors this time of year.[/quote]

Yes we could, I believe they have already had to move practice into a gym. Having an indoor infield and hitting cages would do wonders for our program imo.[/quote]

The first day of practice was moved indoors to the Showcase Baseball Academy complex down in Matthews. It looks like a very nice facility. I’m glad we are able to gain access to it, but I would much rather have a facility on campus for our guys to use.[/quote]
Owned by former Niner John Owen. Whose son has signed to play for NC State BTW.

There will be a lot of unknowns this year so I don’t blame them for picking us last or next to last. I feel like some young players are going to get thrown into the fire this season, especially on the mound. We have 4 seniors and only 1 is a pitcher.

Our 2nd full C-USA recruiting class will be on the roster this year. Baseball recruiting just doesn’t get as much coverage as football and basketball so it is very hard to follow. I know we had 4 Freshman start a significant amount of games last year, and we had 1 Freshman Pitcher who started mid-week games. Nichting was all Freshman team and he picked us over Ohio State. Logan Sherer is probably one of the best power hitters we have had in a very long time. He was also our closer last year. Jarrett had his ups and downs but I would say last years freshman class was pretty successful in C-USA.

I haven’t seen much of this year’s class but I think at least 1 freshman has a chance to start in the field. We got a transfer from Ole Miss who will likely step in at SS this season. The majority of the incoming class were pitchers. We brought in a JUCO lefty JD Prochanska in this class, and he will likely be a weekend guy based on his experience. 2 other pitchers transferred in from ECU and Maryland and will sit this year. Then we have 8 Freshman pitchers. Several of those guys will get time on the mound this season. They might get blown up this year, but the experience gained will help us in the next few seasons.

As far as the 2015 class, from the interview online, Hibbs says this is the best class we have had in a log time… on paper. We know how that goes. From what I have seen, we have signed some really good local guys. Time will tell. http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=209815804

The opposite should be said of Baseball from Basketball. We should be able to recruit to CUSA in baseball. It’s a big upgrade over A10.

Hopefully if the class last year is good, it will be something to build on and we can compete in a couple of years

The first day of practice was moved indoors to the Showcase Baseball Academy complex down in Matthews. It looks like a very nice facility. I’m glad we are able to gain access to it, but I would much rather have a facility on campus for our guys to use.[/quote]
Owned by former Niner John Owen. Whose son now plays for NC State BTW.[/quote]

We’ve gotten several players from SBA over the last few years.

http://showcasebaseballacademy.org/showcase/college-commitments/

Class of 2015
Drew Ober Hough High School UNC Charlotte
Reece Hampton Charlotte Christian UNC Charlotte

Class of 2014
Hunter Jones Piedmont UNC- Charlotte
Ryan Butler Ardrey Kell UNC Charlotte

Class of 2013
Philip Perry JM Robinson East Carolina
Logan Sherer East Mecklenburg UNC-Charlotte
Jeremy Schellhorn Weddington UNC-Charlotte

we are too easy on the coaches, after twenty two years and expected to take last in the conference. I think he should be fired if this happens.

Remember that time shortly after fall practice started when 5 of our most talented and experienced players decided to make some incredibly poor choices with some younger players and thus, are no longer with the program?

Dang it Hibbs. All your fault.

Remember that time shortly after fall practice started when 5 of our most talented and experienced players decided to make some incredibly poor choices with some younger players and thus, are no longer with the program?

Dang it Hibbs. All your fault.[/quote]

Let’s be honest, the only reason Hibbs is still here is because of a lackluster A10.

Let’s be honest, the only reason Hibbs is still here is because of a lackluster A10.[/quote]

I don’t think the term “lackluster” is strong enough to describe A10 Baseball, but Hibbs did always have us sitting at or near the top of the A10 standings. I would love to see us do as well in our lackluster basketball conference we are in now.

Recruiting and depth, yea he lost five boys (3 that played) but I am sure he has come across injuries and none of the loss players are pitchers. The coach is responsible for the record…Last=Firing

I’m doing this to play devil’s advocate because it gets said about other more prominent coaches, but they’re his players that he recruited and it’s his program to watch over.

He doesn’t get a pass on it.

It’s unfortunate and I don’t think it is anything that will become typical under him, but I bet you he likely feels the same way.

Let’s be honest, the only reason Hibbs is still here is because of a lackluster A10.[/quote]

There may be some truth to that. We did well the first half of our time in C-USA 1.0 but struggled our last few seasons in the conference. At that time we probably had the worst facilities in the Conference and maybe even the worst facilities in the state. It would be comparable to our football team starting out in C-USA hosting games at Mallard Creek HS Stadium. Hibbs didn’t lose his job then because either our AD didn’t care at all about baseball or they realized we needed a significant upgrade in facilities.

The upgrades happened at about the same time we got stuck in the A-10. It was a very weak baseball conference and we had success, finishing 1st or tied for 1st in 4 of the 8 years and finished 2nd once. We played in the Championship game 5 times and won it 3 times. The conference was weak, but we proved we could play at a high level, beating teams like NC State (twice) and Arkansas in the NCAA Tourney.

Now we get back into a really good baseball conference and we have the upgraded facilities. They are probably middle of the pack for C-USA facilities, but we should be able to compete in the top half of this league on a regular basis. We are in the middle of ramping up our talent level from the A-10 to C-USA. Before the hazing investigation, I expected us to be middle of the pack again. The dismissals will certainly set us back this year, but should help us in the process. More of the C-USA recruited guys will get playing time this year than they would have and it will help us in the long term.

Regardless, this year will be a struggle but as in years past, our teams usually improve as the season goes on. Under Hibbs our team has never finished last and they won’t this year. We will have an entire new starting pitching rotation and a very young bullpen. It should be fun to watch them develop.

There may be some truth to that. We did well the first half of our time in C-USA 1.0 but struggled our last few seasons in the conference. At that time we probably had the worst facilities in the Conference and maybe even the worst facilities in the state. It would be comparable to our football team starting out in C-USA hosting games at Mallard Creek HS Stadium. Hibbs didn’t lose his job then because either our AD didn’t care at all about baseball or they realized we needed a significant upgrade in facilities.

The upgrades happened at about the same time we got stuck in the A-10. It was a very weak baseball conference and we had success, finishing 1st or tied for 1st in 4 of the 8 years and finished 2nd once. We played in the Championship game 5 times and won it 3 times. The conference was weak, but we proved we could play at a high level, beating teams like NC State (twice) and Arkansas in the NCAA Tourney.

Now we get back into a really good baseball conference and we have the upgraded facilities. They are probably middle of the pack for C-USA facilities, but we should be able to compete in the top half of this league on a regular basis. We are in the middle of ramping up our talent level from the A-10 to C-USA. Before the hazing investigation, I expected us to be middle of the pack again. The dismissals will certainly set us back this year, but should help us in the process. More of the C-USA recruited guys will get playing time this year than they would have and it will help us in the long term.

Regardless, this year will be a struggle but as in years past, our teams usually improve as the season goes on. Under Hibbs our team has never finished last and they won’t this year. We will have an entire new starting pitching rotation and a very young bullpen. It should be fun to watch them develop.[/quote]
Great post Mr. Bo! I love some of our other posters who try to comment on baseball without (Clearly) knowing anything about our baseball program’s history or challenges.

[quote=“ninerniner370, post:31, topic:29352”]Recruiting and depth, yea he lost five boys (3 that played) but I am sure he has come across injuries and none of the loss players are pitchers. The coach is responsible for the record…Last=Firing[/quote] Can we play the season first, please, before we have this discussion.
Preseason polls= Good chance of being wrong.

I will say that finishing last in CUSA for one year probably won’t result in his firing. His wife is a honcho on the academic side (and does a Hell of a job)
and Judy is going to be busy with other coaching searches (hint: basketball) . You have my personal invitation to come to some games BTW.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:35, topic:29352”][quote=“ninerniner370, post:31, topic:29352”]Recruiting and depth, yea he lost five boys (3 that played) but I am sure he has come across injuries and none of the loss players are pitchers. The coach is responsible for the record…Last=Firing[/quote] Can we play the season first, please, before we have this discussion.
Preseason polls= Good chance of being wrong.

I will say that finishing last in CUSA for one year probably won’t result in his firing. His wife is a honcho on the academic side (and does a Hell of a job)
and Judy is going to be busy with other coaching searches (hint: basketball) . You have my personal invitation to come to some games BTW.[/quote]

So someone wants to fire the coach based on a pre-season prediction? If I remember correctly, our basketball program was predicted to finish THIRD in the pre-season polls. We see how that is working out. Some one else will finish third in basketball and there is a good chance someone else will finish last in baseball.

Knights pitching college baseball in Charlotte

Charlotte has become a pipeline for UNC-Chapel Hill and other college baseball teams in the region. That connection means coaches are likely to be eager to showcase their teams in hopes of attracting other top local high school prospects — and to strengthen ties with the large number of ACC alums in the area.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2015/02/knights-pitching-college-baseball-in-charlotte.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+(Charlotte+Business+Journal)

[quote=“Nugget, post:37, topic:29352”]Knights pitching college baseball in Charlotte

Charlotte has become a pipeline for UNC-Chapel Hill and other college baseball teams in the region. That connection means coaches are likely to be eager to showcase their teams in hopes of attracting other top local high school prospects — and to strengthen ties with the large number of ACC alums in the area.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2015/02/knights-pitching-college-baseball-in-charlotte.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+(Charlotte+Business+Journal)[/quote] Pitching ACC baseball. Here is how the sentence you quoted should have read “Charlotte has become a pipeline for college baseball teams in the region”

:frowning: >:(

Maybe that was your point?

[quote=“Nugget, post:37, topic:29352”]Knights pitching college baseball in Charlotte

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2015/02/knights-pitching-college-baseball-in-charlotte.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+(Charlotte+Business+Journal)[/quote]

clt didn’t need to click to know that spanberg was involved.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – For the first time in program history, Charlotte baseball will play in front of a national television audience being selected as one of 11 Conference USA tilts to be featured on the American Sports Network (ASN). ASN will televise the Niners matchup with Louisiana Tech inside Robert and Mariam Hayes Stadium on Saturday, March 28th beginning at 1:00 p.m.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=209883954