1977 Final Four Game: Charlotte vs. Marquette

Marquette wins on a buzzer beating lay-in, 51-49

Article on Al with references to the game: [URL]http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1092233/1/index.htm[/URL]

If anyone can find a link to the boxscore, let me know.

[B][SIZE=2]If you have any articles about this game (as well as any personal stories and/or claims that the last shot by Marquette was offensive goaltending), please share them. If you have any relevant pictures, please use this Photobucket account (username: Niners4901, password: 40niners) to post them in the thread. If you have any relevant video (or audio), PM TheNinerAlchemist, and I will include them. [/SIZE][/B]

Torrent of this game should be up by the end of Easter weekend, unless things get out of hand. Further information will follow…you know…eventually.

If anyone can find a link to the boxscore, let me know.
[URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?replayId=182]Box Score[/URL]
Torrent of this game should be up by the end of Easter weekend, unless things get out of hand. Further information will follow...you know...eventually.

Can’t wait!

Torrent of this game should be up by the end of Easter weekend, unless things get out of hand. Further information will follow...you know...eventually.
Thats awesome!

Is there a page of all the torrents you have? Is there a torrent for beating Michigan that season?

Thats awesome!

Is there a page of all the torrents you have? Is there a torrent for beating Michigan that season?

I will get to that. Right now, I have to get all the video files on my computer.

IF ANYONE HAS VIDEO OF THE MICHIGAN GAME PLEASE LET US KNOW. EVERYONE ON HERE HAS BEEN LOOKING FOR THAT GAME FOREVER.

I’ve still got my program from the game.

I will get to that. Right now, I have to get all the video files on my computer.

IF ANYONE HAS VIDEO OF THE MICHIGAN GAME PLEASE LET US KNOW. EVERYONE ON HERE HAS BEEN LOOKING FOR THAT GAME FOREVER.

Have you checked with the school?

The Michigan game is without a shadow of a doubt our biggest win of all time, and there is not even a close 2nd… and we’ve had some pretty big wins. Just ask Huggins or Pitino.

I’ll have to look in the old attic footlocker to see if I still have my program and ticket stub. I was number 19 in line for tickets. We were on spring break when we beat Michigan, and they announced that tickets would be sold at the Mine Shaft ticket booth two days later. My brother and I went out the morning before that, prepared to stay overnight. My girlfriend at the time lived in Greensboro, and I planned to get two tickets, but then they announced that only married couples could buy two. I called and left a message for her (no cellphones back then), and then got my roommate to get out there and stand in line for her, until she could get there. (He couldn’t make the trip to Atlanta).

By the time she arrived a few hours later, there was a long line of people, and as she walked to where I was, a lot of them were yelling at her not to break in line. When my roommate left, they realized what was going on, and went along with it.

We didn’t have to stay overnight, after all, because the ticket staff handed out numbers, and we were to return the next morning to line up in the same order. We got great seats, on the floor behind the goal, so we had a great view of Cedric making the tying shot with 3 seconds left. Unfortunately, we couldn’t see the Whitehead play at the other end, and it seemed like an eternity with the coaches and officials at the scorer’s table, before they ruled it a basket, and a Marquette victory.

We sold our championship game tickets to a couple Tarheel fans on our way out of the arena. They couldn’t believe the seats were so good. Glad they got beat by Marquette worse than we did.

I still think UNLV had the best team in the Final Four that year, but Eddie Owens and the rest of the Runnin’ Rebels were psyched out by Phil Ford running the Four Corners, and that cost them the game.

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;401004]Marquette wins on a buzzer beating lay-in, 51-49

Article on Al with references to the game: [URL]http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1092233/1/index.htm[/URL]

I can’t imagine actually being at that game. It was torture just to read article. Tough being a niners fan in any era I guess.

“Thewayitwas” has it. Don’t know if he wants to make it available, but you can ask him about it.

I can't imagine actually being at that game. It was torture just to read article. Tough being a niners fan in any era I guess.
After watching the video, we really should have won that game. Had a better team than Marquette (not sure we were better than Michigan). Just played really tight at the beginning of the game, and it meant we didn't have a bigger lead later in the game.

Anyone wonder what might have been had we won that game? Play and likely beat (demolish?) Chapel Hill in the championship…bet that might’ve changed our treatment by the locals (paper and public) a bit.

There might be 10 people with the Michigan game in hand, and that’s probably former players/coaches. The NCAA site doesn’t even have that video available for sale, but you can put your name on the request list (when it comes available).

Anyone wonder what might have been had we won that game? Play and likely beat (demolish?) Chapel Hill in the championship...bet that might've changed our treatment by the locals (paper and public) a bit.
We would have probably defeated chapel hill if they had used the same strategy against us that they did against Marquette. Dean Smith slowed the game to a snail's pace with lots of time remaining and played right into Marquette's hand. There was no shot clock back then.

Marquette and “UNCC” had very talented starters but a weak bench. unc-chapel hill, on the other hand, had lots of depth. Smith’s “4 corners” tactics reached out and grabbed him in that game.

Here’s the torrent: [URL]http://fenopy.com/torrent/1977_Final_Four_Game_Charlotte_vs__Marquette/MjAxNDgxNQ==/index.html[/URL]

It apparently doesn’t work yet, which I am obviously trying to correct. But it exists, and that’s something.

Here's the torrent: [URL]http://fenopy.com/torrent/1977_Final_Four_Game_Charlotte_vs__Marquette/MjAxNDgxNQ==/index.html[/URL]

It apparently doesn’t work yet, which I am obviously trying to correct. But it exists, and that’s something.

No seeds :unhappy:

Here are some items from the Final Four that I have seen on e-bay at some point.

FINAL FOUR PROGRAM

FINAL FOUR PRESS PIN

FINAL FOUR TICKET STUB

FINAL FOUR T-SHIRT

Didn’t go to game but watched all games on TV. It was a magical run, one that only happens very occasionally. The game played pretty continuously in the student union for a while that spring so you could watch it over and over. Still hate that we lost, felt like we could have taken UNC pretty easily and would have been cool to have an ALL NC final. I honestly, after all these years don’t feel it was offensive goaltending. I think he got off a fair shot but I still hate those sons of bitches from Marquette. It was a wild time and I wished I had the forethought and sweet moola to have gotten my ass to Atlanta that year. Word to all the kids in school, go to the important games on the road and you may not miss what I missed and have a ball in the interim.

Word to all the kids in school, go to the important games on the road and you may not miss what I missed and have a ball in the interim.
Those are words to remember.

I was watching the game with a bunch of drunks and we were planning on jumping in the car and heading to Atlanta after our win on Saturday… of course, it never happened and all of us regretted not going to Saturday’s games. To this day, I wish I had been at that game, even though we lost.

I found some more photos here:

http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/ncaaphotos/search?I_DSC=1977+&I_FILE_NAME=&I_SDATE%5BMM%5D=&I_SDATE%5BDD%5D=DD&I_SDATE%5BYYYY%5D=YYYY&I_EDATE%5BMM%5D=&I_EDATE%5BDD%5D=DD&I_EDATE%5BYYYY%5D=YYYY&I_CITY=&I_STATE=&I_ORIENTATION=&I_IS_RELEASED=&I_IS_PRELEASED=&_CB_I_PR=t&_CB_I_PU=t&_CB_I_RF=t&_CB_I_RM=t&I_SORT=DATE&I_DSC_AND=t&I_ORG_ID=O0000MKKe4GqxqsM&V_ID=&G_ID=&_ACT=search

These are the first color photos I have seen from our Final Four team.

These are the first color photos I have seen from our Final Four team.
Any way you can delete the abnoxious looking photos of the other team Marquette played?