1977 Team

Thanks.

Is there going to be a game this year to honor the '77 team?

Those of us who were alive then remember how great they were. They beat the Michigan team that lost to IU in the '76 Championship. The undefeated IU team.

If someone knows, post a reply and keep bumping it.

[quote=“frequentvisitor, post:3, topic:30801”]Is there going to be a game this year to honor the '77 team?

Those of us who were alive then remember how great they were. They beat the Michigan team that lost to IU in the '76 Championship. The undefeated IU team.

If someone knows, post a reply and keep bumping it.[/quote]

They lost to Marquette not to IU and it was in the final 4.

clt says we will honour the 77 WBB team.

[quote=“DrJ708, post:4, topic:30801”][quote=“frequentvisitor, post:3, topic:30801”]Is there going to be a game this year to honor the '77 team?

They lost to Marquette not to IU and it was in the final 4.[/quote]

They were referring to Charlotte beating Michigan in the regional final and that Michigan had played the undefeated Indiana team in 1976 in the national title game.

[quote=“frequentvisitor, post:3, topic:30801”]Is there going to be a game this year to honor the '77 team?

Someone dropped the ball with this. Should have been a big deal made with the 40th Anniversary.

Knowing how our leaders here do things, If it happened before Phil Dubois was here, it didn’t really happen and must be destroyed.

A video of that last 3 seconds…

We would have played the Tarheels for the national championship, and probably would have won, Marquette beat them handily.

I’ve heard they were trying to get the old team back together, but there were some issues getting them all back together. I don’t know what they mean by that but it just sounds like excuses to me.

Excuses for laziness and not going the extra mile? It has been 40 years so you won’t get every player. Some just don’t care, but at least honor the ones who are willing to come. It’s our biggest moment in program history and the fact that we haven’t and aren’t going to honor them is kinda surprising and sad.

We’re going to honor the 16-17 women’s team at halftime of the men’s final home game on Senior Day. Perfect.

Is that just a joke? I really hope it is…

If you were on the final 4 team why would you come back and get this stink on you?

Is that just a joke? I really hope it is…[/quote] No joke. The women are going to forfeit their road game that night to appear in Halton. ::slight_smile:

Excuses for laziness and not going the extra mile? It has been 40 years so you won’t get every player. Some just don’t care, but at least honor the ones who are willing to come. It’s our biggest moment in program history and the fact that we haven’t and aren’t going to honor them is kinda surprising and sad.[/quote]

Chad Kinch passed away in the late 90’s…

Excuses for laziness and not going the extra mile? It has been 40 years so you won’t get every player. Some just don’t care, but at least honor the ones who are willing to come. It’s our biggest moment in program history and the fact that we haven’t and aren’t going to honor them is kinda surprising and sad.[/quote]

Chad Kinch passed away in the late 90’s…[/quote]

Kevin King comes to most games. Massey is in poor health. Watkins is an assistant somewhere(?). Maxwell is who knows where. etc etc

lew died in 2014

So I guess a reunion/recognition after all these years would be more sad than celebratory. :cry:

Maxwell is on the Celtics’ broadcast team and used to be on WFNZ regularly in the off season. Watkins would be the hard one to have attend. He was an assistant at Missouri.

If he can’t make it due to a coaching conflict, that’s not the worst thing in the world. I went to a Phillies’ game in 1990 where they honored the '80 World Championship team. They announced Pete Rose was unavailable. The crowd was split between boos, cheers, and laughter. He was in Federal Prison.

Is that just a joke? I really hope it is…[/quote] No joke. The women are going to forfeit their road game that night to appear in Halton. ::)[/quote]
I really need to get more sleep during the week lol