2009 NCAA Dunk Contest

Charlotte’s Charlie Coley III was robbed by Braylon Edwards during the “dunk off,” and lost to Tony Dandridge from New Mexico.

Where he got jobbed was the second dunk in the finals. That dunk using a ball in both hands should not have gotten a 50. It was not that complicated. None of Dandridge’s dunks were creative at all. It was like he just watched a Kenny Walker “Dunk Like Me” video before beginning the contest. For anybody that can jump, cuffing and dunking the ball like Dandridge did was not a hard thing to do. The announcers acted as if he had done the impossible.

Way to go Charlie. That belt should be returning to Charlotte with you. Props to Jimmy Barron and McClinton for helping CCIII out.

we made the blog and have a photo for the time being.

link: http://gmine.blogspot.com/2009/04/coley-edged-in-49-48-in-dunk-off.html

[QUOTE=X-49er;398845]Where he got jobbed was the second dunk in the finals. That dunk using a ball in both hands should not have gotten a 50. It was not that complicated. None of Dandridge’s dunks were creative at all. It was like he just watched a Kenny Walker “Dunk Like Me” video before beginning the contest. For anybody that can jump, cuffing and dunking the ball like Dandridge did was not a hard thing to do. The announcers acted as if he had done the impossible.

Way to go Charlie. That belt should be returning to Charlotte with you. Props to Jimmy Barron and McClinton for helping CCIII out.[/QUOTE]

I agree about the dunk with two balls… not that difficult and not original. No way that deserved a 50.

[QUOTE=X-49er;398845]Way to go Charlie. That belt should be returning to Charlotte with you. Props to Jimmy Barron and McClinton for helping CCIII out.[/QUOTE]

Especially Jimmy Barron, perfect throw on the first try, nice job!

Way to go Charlie. That belt should be returning to Charlotte with you. Props to Jimmy Barron and McClinton for helping CCIII out.

Well McClinton almost ruined Charlie’s chances by not being able to throw a good alley-oop pass in the 2nd dunk of the 1st rd. He barely made the semi-finals because of that.

I think Charlie should have lined up two guys to jump over in the dunk off. If one gets a 50, you know two would have as well.

Way to go Charlie. That belt should be returning to Charlotte with you. Props to Jimmy Barron [B][I]and McClinton[/I][/B] for helping CCIII out.

Are you serious!? McClinton almost screwed Charlie out of the second round because he couldnt make a simple lop pass over the backboard. I would have been furious if that had ended his night (which it almost did). But yeah props to Baron for making the perfect pass, that was money.

Announcers were calling us Carolina Charlotte or UNC-Charlotte.

1st mention: UNCC (in graphic)

2nd mention: UNC Charlotte (Nessler)

3rd Mention: NC-Charlotte (Nessler) :ticked:

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;398851]Well McClinton almost ruined Charlie’s chances by not being able to throw a good alley-oop pass in the 2nd dunk of the 1st rd. He barely made the semi-finals because of that.
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Chisox17;398855]Are you serious!? McClinton almost screwed Charlie out of the second round because he couldnt make a simple lop pass over the backboard. I would have been furious if that had ended his night (which it almost did).[/QUOTE]

You guys are being too hard on McClinton. That “pass” is very difficult to do from where he was standing. From 10’+ behind the backboard, it has to be thrown near perfect (i.e. almost hitting th backboard) so that it does not go too far away from the goal. Try making a shot from 10’-15’ behind the backboard sometimes and you’ll see what he was faced with. Had Charlie got his timing right on the 2nd pass by McClinton, I think he would have made it anyways. I just think he should have either thrown that one himself, or tried something else.

Announcers were calling us Carolina Charlotte or UNC-Charlotte.
1st mention: UNCC (in graphic)

2nd mention: UNC Charlotte (Nessler)

3rd Mention: NC-Charlotte (Nessler) :ticked:

This will never change until the name of the university changes.

I knew as soon as the guy tied Coley with a 50 that it was over, as a Niner it seems nothing ever goes our way, especially in basketball.

Big Phil was there. Coley should have one upped himself by jumping Phil again. But actually, I kinda hoped to see new stuff like his first dunk.

I was pissed when we saw the UNM guy win because of Steve Alford’s lobbying. Just because you have a famous coach who played for another famous coach, Bobby Knight, doesn’t mean we should give you a title you don’t deserve.

And how come Diego, Brendan, & Jobey never got an invite to the 3-point contest in past years? Come to think of it, Traci should have got an invite this year for the girls for setting the school 3 record.

In all fairness to McClinton, that was a pretty tough pass. He had to throw it so it landed right near the basket with a perfect arch. Isn’t the guy a SG anyway?

The New Mexico guy’s dunks were solid, but nothing new. I think Coley needed a new idea for the last dunk since he had already jumped over someone. His first dunk was his best.

I was pissed when we saw the UNM guy win because of Steve Alford's lobbying. Just because you have a famous coach who played for another famous coach, Bobby Knight, doesn't mean we should give you a title you don't deserve.

And how come Diego, Brendan, & Jobey never got an invite to the 3-point contest in past years? Come to think of it, Traci should have got an invite this year for the girls for setting the school 3 record.

Coulda sworn Jobey did the 3-point contest

I thought the first dunk was the best too. The pass from Baron dunk was good too, primarily because of how high off the ground Coley got (that one was 41", right?). The last dunk over someone sitting would probably have looked better if he’d not already jumped over someone standing.

With that awesome fro, I bet a 70’s style strut followed by a Dr. J dunk would’ve brought the house down.

Anyway, nice job by Coley, definitely should have won over that lackluster two-balls dunk by Dandridge.

I thought jobey did, and I think plavich turned down the invite.

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R03A25ZfvB8[/URL]