2010 Music Thread

Links coming.

This actually isnt a 2010 release, but I just discovered them earlier today. Released in late 09. These dudes are terrific.

The Heavy - The House That Dirt Built

The Heavy - How You Like Me Now?

Also used for a Kia ad in the super bowl with the monster from Yo Gabba Gabba to tie in with our indie music/tv ad thread that was eaten by the internet.

I haven’t been blown away by anything so far this year. Beach House, Spoon or Surfer Blood is probably the best so far. The Yeasayer album has a few really good tracks, but overall I wasn’t too impressed.

There’s a lot to look forward to though, should have some great albums coming out in the next few months.

Leatherface has a new record coming out later this month:

Leatherface The Stormy Petrel Promo

And I believe the menzingers new record will be out in March:

The Menzingers - A Lesson In The Abuse Of Information Technology - Fest 8

New Hot Chip is solid and I really like the Surfer Blood album, can’t wait to see them Monday at Snug Harbor.

Broken Social Scene is releasing a new one in May.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/11805-world-sick/

First Single is out - World Sick

This is my first listen. So far… no. I understand why they wanted to make it, but this kind of thing never translates well. It’s borderline jump the shark moment.

And holy hell read the fawning review. The indie press wants to idolize these guys so bad it’s ridiculous.

It’s kind of offputting. Hopefully, this is one of those songs I eventually warm to.

Hopefully the rest of the album isn’t as overly political. The Pitchfork review is pretty bad, but I think it is a solid song overall. Did you like their last two albums?

I love about half of the songs on their last two albums. I did not love the production. Way too tinny and overwrought. And I do mean tinny - the production too often sucks far too much warmth out of the sound and offends my ears with shrill edges to too many notes. Also, Kevin can stop with the overdone vocal effects. His voice isnt that bad, and it sounds too gimmicky.

I love BSS though. The songs that work are some of my favorite music period from the last several years. And it’s not hard to guess which ones I like - all of the predictable ones…

7/4 (Shoreline) (#3 favorite)
Almost Crimes (#2)
Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl
Cause=Time
Fire Eye’d Boy
Major Label Debut
Stars & Sons
Superconnected (#1)

…just to name a few off the top of my head. And I also liked the Drew & Canning solo stuff. I really like Churches Under The Stairs, and I’ve probably listened to Lucky Ones at least once a week since Drew’s album came out. It never gets old. Never. The pacing during the verses gets my heartrate up everytime. Nothing evolutionary, just really really damn good…

Well every time you took me to the lies of your bed
you know I tried to do it every time you read
but all of your words that came down like your spies
trickled through the morphine and tried to make a crime
I don’t expect to suggest that we’re through
you know I can live without you if you do
but tell me that the temperature is rising in your head
tell me the blood is not to be misled

Totally agree with you that I don’t want a political record from BSS. I want something that transcends all of that crap.

BTW, I don’t have ny new links to post. I still have Edward Sharp (40 Day Dream), Califone (Funeral Singers), Besnard Lakes - Albatross, Little Joy (Next Time Around & No One’s Better Sake), and some other stuff that I already posted on heavy rotation.

Working their way in are:

Surfer Blood - Swim (really growing on me)
Vampire Weekend - Giving Up The Gun
Girls - Morning Light

I’m also listening to older stuff: White Rabbits - Percussion Gun, and an old, but awesome favorite, Throwing Muses - Not Too Soon. I’ve been in love with that song for 15 years now… almost half my life. Tanya Donnelly, man.

Do you like Canning’s solo album better than Drew’s? I have heard Drew’s, but not Cannings… I pretty much agree with you about BSS, they can either be pretty boring (which is the case on a lot of the songs from You Forgot It…) or really great. The good usually outweighs the bad though, and when they are good, as you said, they are great.

The Black Keys are releasing a new album in May.

Honestly, I only listen to two or three songs off of cannings album.

BSS’s best music is anthemic. There’s no getting around it. It’s dense, extremely emotional, smart, and above all, unifying. I think Kevin Drew, like a lot of frontmen, gets off on getting the crowd all on one vibe with him. I think Canning is more of a music nerd. I can better picture Canning sitting in his apartment listening to some obscure jazz artist. Kevin’s gonna be drunk in a bar with a gaggle of people. He’s kind of obnoxious though. You hear the difference on their solo albums.

New Gorillaz video is much cooler than the song:

Gorillaz - Stylo - YouTube Premiere! (HD)

You can listen to the new Gorillaz album for free on NPR music this week.

Oh, cool… hadn’t heard that.

Anybody heard the full Gorillaz album? Neither of the first two singles really impressed me.

The National announced an album being released in May.

Phoenix is playing in Cary at the Booth ampitheater in June.

I know this is the 2010 new music thread, but I’m gonna talk about another 09 release I just found.

Band of Skulls. I like them.

Band of Skulls - Death by Diamonds and Pearls

They’re not bad cass, but that bass player is pretty much unoriginal and pointless.

I like that stripped down black keys/white stripes sound at times, but when it comes down to it, most of the songs I really love are carried by amazing bass lines, usually with layered guitars, etc on top of them, not vice versa.

[quote=“casstommy, post:18, topic:22376”]I know this is the 2010 new music thread, but I’m gonna talk about another 09 release I just found.

Band of Skulls. I like them.[/quote]Don’t know how long it will last, but right now on Amazon Band of Skulls’s 2009 release Baby Darling Doll Face Honey is only $2.99 for a digital download.

Amazon.com: Baby Darling Doll Face Honey by Band of Skulls