2011 - 2012 Opponents Thread

I actually miss those days. Lots more funs to talk smack at opposing fans than at each other. Speaking of Memphis fans, itā€™s only a matter of time before Gruels makes an appearance. For those that donā€™t know Mr. Gruels, heā€™s actually pretty cool even though heā€™s a Memphis fan. He actually made the trip down to Halton to see his Tigers lose one year.[/quote]

Is that some kind of joke?

I actually miss those days. Lots more funs to talk smack at opposing fans than at each other. Speaking of Memphis fans, itā€™s only a matter of time before Gruels makes an appearance. For those that donā€™t know Mr. Gruels, heā€™s actually pretty cool even though heā€™s a Memphis fan. He actually made the trip down to Halton to see his Tigers lose one year.[/quote]

Is that some kind of joke?[/quote]

Take it any way you like.

Gruehls is a very cool guy. Heā€™s actually a Cincy fan. In fact heā€™s the only Bearkittens fan in which I could find any redeeming qualities. Of course his main redeeming quality was Mrs. Gruehlsā€¦

Gruehls is a very cool guy. Heā€™s actually a Cincy fan. In fact heā€™s the only Bearkittens fan in which I could find any redeeming qualities. Of course his main redeeming quality was Mrs. Gruehlsā€¦[/quote]

Ah, damn, my bad. Got my opponents mixed up. More coffee, stat!

Gruehls is a very cool guy. Heā€™s actually a Cincy fan. In fact heā€™s the only Bearkittens fan in which I could find any redeeming qualities. Of course his main redeeming quality was Mrs. Gruehlsā€¦[/quote]

Ah, damn, my bad. Got my opponents mixed up. More coffee, stat![/quote]

Donā€™t feel bad, there is very little difference between them. They both suck.

Iā€™d love for more guys from other schools to come on here. SJing would be fine if heā€™d just have a little perspective. I know fans are supposed to be avid, but atleast the Memphis and Cincy fans had some history to go on.

Thatā€™s the thing. Fans from those schools; however obnoxious, at least had a team to back up their trash talk most of the time. It also helped out tremedously that were were always at least competitive with those teams and won our fair share of games. These days, letā€™s face it, we suck and result to just picking on each other. Maybe, hopefully, when we get good again weā€™ll get opposing fans on our board. Right now, I imagine most of them just donā€™t care enough about us to give a crap and come talk trash.

the old C-USA Talk days were fun. I never did see a Tiger victory at Halton. I did attend the upset over then #1 Cincy I believe in 99?

A few tidbits on the schedule here:

http://gmine.blogspot.com/2011/07/mid-summer-49ers-update.html

[quote=ā€œMr. Bojangles, post:130, topic:25098ā€]A few tidbits on the schedule here:

http://gmine.blogspot.com/2011/07/mid-summer-49ers-update.html[/quote]

Updated the 2nd-Post, more insight from GTG this evening.

Hope we can add another couple of higher profile games. Wish OSU would have happen this year. I do not like seeing Coppin State and ETSU at home. I know all games are not big games, I like to see some better teams visit Halton. We need to work on our schedule for the next couple of years to improve the RPI.

Unfortunately we have to earn our respect back to get good home games IMO. So far I like what I see. There are a few disappointments, but I think the schedule looks better than the last couple years as far as RPI is concerned. I like that we could play up to 3 ACC opponents this year.

ETSU was good last year, & has been consistent for 5 years.

eesh, this thing is suppose to be out in a month and we still have a lot of question marks, hope Major is working overtimeā€¦

Itā€™d be cool if we could get State at TWC. I bet the building would just about sell out.

Judy wonā€™t let him

[font=verdana][size=small] The 49ers are talking to two other ACC schools, but nothingā€™s been firmed up yet. Charlotte had an offer from another ACC school on Dec. 3 (it would have been on the road), but couldnā€™t get the East Carolina game moved.[/size][/font]

[font=verdana][size=small]If I read that correctly, thatā€™s three ACC teams that we have talked to beyond Miami. I wonder who they are? Iā€™m going to assume itā€™s not Duke or UNC. Maybe VaTech since we have a connection through Odom. Any thoughts on the others? Regardless of what we think around here, the ACC has prestige and any chance to beat one of them at their place is great.[/size][/font]

Charlotte plays Davidson at Halton on Dec. 10 [b]and also travels to Radford and East Carolina on Dec. 3[/b].

That reads funny. The ECU game is in Halton, correct?

[quote=ā€œX-49er, post:139, topic:25098ā€]

Charlotte plays Davidson at Halton on Dec. 10 and also travels to Radford and East Carolina on Dec. 3.

That reads funny. The ECU game is in Halton, correct?[/quote]

Incorrect. They will be in Halton for the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons.

i just hope we donā€™t play anymore 300+ rpi teams. Last year we had 2-3 I think which is awful. we need to hire a full-time pro #1 draft pick schedule maker.

The schedule is a HUGE factor in the success of a program and crucial to gain community support imo. Winning is important and helps, but the casual fan would look at a 5 point loss to a top 25 team better and with more ā€œrespectā€ than a 20 point win against #300 team.

No one cares about these awful teams. Every team has cupcakes on their schedule, but we seem to want the whole batch.

We need to be and stay visable. Playing teams no one has heard of will keep you in the gutter.

Is it really that hard to schedule OOC games against teams that have a real good shot of being 1-200 rpi?