2011 Men's Hoops Coaching Carousel

And let the changes begin!

Alabama A&M - Vann Pettaway - replaced by Willie Hayes (Alabama A&M asst)
Alcorn State - Larry Smith - replaced by Luther Riley
Arkansas - John Pelphrey - replaced by Mike Anderson (Missouri)
Bethune-Cookman - Clifford Reed
Boston U. - Patrick Chambers - replaced by Joe Jones (BC asst)
Bradley - Jim Les - replace by Geno Ford (Kent State)
Cal State Bakersfield - Keith Brown - replaced by Rod Barnes (ex-Georgia State)
Colgate - Emmett Davis - replaced by Matt Langel (Temple asst)
Dayton - Brian Gregory - replaced by Archie Miller (Arizona asst)
Eastern Washington - Kirk Earlywine - replaced by Jim Hayford
Fairfield - Ed Cooley - replaced by Sydney Johnson
Florida A&M - Eugene Harris - replaced by Clemon Johnson
Florida Gulf Coast - Dave Balza - replaced by Andy Enfield
Fresno State - Steve Cleveland - replaced by Rodney Terry (Texas asst)
George Mason - Jim Larranaga - replaced by Paul Hewitt (ex-Georgia Tech)
George Washington - Karl Hobbs - [b]replaced by Mike Lonegran /b
Georgia State - Rod Barnes - replaced by Ron Hunter (IUPUI)
Georgia Tech - Paul Hewitt - replaced by Brian Gregory (Dayton)
IPFW - Dan Fife - replaced by Tony Jasick
IUPUI - Ron Hunter - replaced by Todd Howard
Kennesaw State - Tony Ingle - replaced by Lewis Preston (Penn State asst)
Kent State - Geno Ford - asst. HC Rob Senderoff named interim
Lamar - Steve Roccaforte - replaced by Pat Knight (ex-Texas Tech)
Louisiana Tech - Kerry Rupp - replaced by Michael White (Ole Miss asst)
Loyola Chicago - Jim Whitesell - replaced by Porter Moser (Saint Louis asst)
Manhattan - Barry Rohrssen - replaced by Steve Masiello
Maryland - Gary Williams - replaced by Mark Turgeon (Texas A&M)
Miami-FL - Frank Haith - replaced by Jim Larranaga (George Mason)
Missouri - Mike Anderson - [b]replaced by Frank Haith /b
Missouri State - Counzo Martin - replaced by Paul Lusk (Purdue asst)
Monmouth - Dave Calloway - replaced by King Rice (Vandy asst)
Murray State - Bill Kennedy - replaced by Steve Prohm (Murray State asst)
Navy - Billy Lange - replaced by Ed DeChellis (Penn State)
NC State - Sidney Lowe - replaced by Mark Gottfried (ex-Bama, ESPN)
Northern Illinois - Ricardo Patton - replaced by Mark Montgomery (Michigan State asst)
Oklahoma - Jeff Capel - [b]replaced by Lon Kruger /b
Penn State - Ed DeChellis - replaced by Patrick Chambers (Boston U.)
Pepperdine - Tom Asbury - replaced by Marty Wilson
Princeton - Sydney Wilson - replaced by Mitch Henderson (Northwestern asst)
Providence - Keno Davis - replaced by Ed Cooley (Fairfield)
Radford - Brad Greenberg - replaced by Mike Jones (VCU asst)
Southern - Rob Spivery - replaced by Roman Banks
Stetson - Derek Waugh - replaced by Casey Alexander
Tennessee - Bruce Pearl - replaced by Counzo Martin (Missouri State)
Tennessee Tech - Mike Sutton - replaced by Steve Payne (TN Tech asst)
Texas A&M - Mark Turgeon - replaced by Billy Kennedy (Murray State)
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi - Perry Clark - replaced by Willis Wilson (Memphis asst)
Texas Tech - Pat Knight - replaced by Billy Gillispie
Towson - Pat Kennedy - replaced by Pat Skerry (URI asst)
UC Davis - Gary Stewart - [b]replaced by Jim Les /b
UNLV - Lon Kruger - replaced by Dave Rice (BYU asst)
Utah - Jim Boylen - replaced by Larry Krystkowiak (NJ Nets asst)
Valparaise - Homer Byrce - replaced by Drew Bryce
Vermont - Mike Lonegran - replaced by John Becker (Vermont asst)
Wyoming - Heath Schroyer - replaced by Larry Shyatt (Florida asst)

SI.com: 2011 Coaching Carousel

Interesting. Rod Barnes gone from Ga State. Their only commitment? One time Niner target and Charlotte big man Jervon Pressley.

http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=24913.0

Wonder if his grade issues (if they were there, nothing for sure) have cleared up yet? Just a thought…

Some of those schools are almost impossible to win at. I guess you take the gig and just hope for a steady paycheck for 4 years or so.

Re: Pressley, in retrospect, the book on him is that he’s undersized (though big wingspan) and raw. So far, Major’s staff has seemed focused on getting guys with real size. As PB pointed out, so we can play Temple style. Big team that can defend. Pressley seems more like a Lutz player.

I didn’t even know Perry Clark was a head coach, and now he’s not. An old Niner rival from the 90’s. The first big Niner win that I was at was when we beat Clark’s Tulane team in 1993 that was in the Top 25.

Was that the “posse” second starting five squad he had? I remember that win though!

My first big Niner wins was the Diet Pepsi Tourny with Alabama and Depaul. Rodney Odom = BEAST (if only for a weekend)

Was that the “posse” second starting five squad he had? I remember that win though!

My big Niner wins was the Diet Pepsi Tourny with Alabama and Depaul. Rodney Odom = BEAST (if only for a weekend)[/quote]

I vaguely remember them being referred to as the posse. They basically came in for a few minutes at a time and pressed the hell out of you, then went back to the bench.

Anthony Reed and Leveldro Simmons were the two guys on that team I remember. Reed was swole up.

The Posse predated Nolan Richardson’s 40 minute sof hell.

It looked like a hockey game doing line changes when they’d sub in, all at once. Besides cranking up the pressure, I think he believed that playing the same 5 guys together on his 1st and 2nd teams built chemistry.

That was Jerald Honeycutt’s team? No?

A bit of trivia - Duquesne head coach Ron Everhart was a Clark assistant at Tulane during the “Posse” era, while current Tulane assistant Kim Lewis (1991 Metro ROY) was an intergral player on those teams in the early '90s. I remember well attending the Metro tourney in Louisville in 1992 at that dump of an arena, Freedom Hall!

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:7, topic:25118”]The Posse predated Nolan Richardson’s 40 minute sof hell.

It looked like a hockey game doing line changes when they’d sub in, all at once. Besides cranking up the pressure, I think he believed that playing the same 5 guys together on his 1st and 2nd teams built chemistry.

That was Jerald Honeycutt’s team? No?[/quote]

Honeycutt was at Tulane 94-97. He was at Tulane the entire time I was at Charlotte. I was thinking that “the posse” pre-dated him mainly while I was in high school(circa 1992 and before) and my first year or so at Charlotte, because I don’t remember Clark running that system once we both joined CUSA for the 95-96 system, or even during our last year or two in the Metro.

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/110199aaa.html

Barry Rohrssen out at Manhattan. Expect the higher profile firings to come after this weekend.

Georgia Tech reportedly firing Paul Hewitt: http://jeffgoodman.yardbarker.com/blog/jeffgoodman/source_georgia_tech_parts_ways_with_hewitt/4371255

Wow. Felt was right. Surprising, but after seeing their crowds (or lack thereof) this season it’s easy to see that many have lost faith in Hewitt. Hewitt will be well paid in his departure. Good situation for a new coach to come into, as they will have a new arena in 2012-2013.

Hewitt is a great recruiter, bad coach. Will find a job easy as an assistant

Jim Boylen fired from Utah.

http://jeffgoodman.yardbarker.com/blog/jeffgoodman/sources_utahs_boylen_fired/4371782

A bit of trivia - Duquesne head coach Ron Everhart was a Clark assistant at Tulane during the “Posse” era, while current Tulane assistant Kim Lewis (1991 Metro ROY) was an intergral player on those teams in the early '90s. I remember well attending the Metro tourney in Louisville in 1992 at that dump of an arena, Freedom Hall![/quote]

Good catch. You can see the influence in the Duquesne teams. I was always surprised Richardson was not able to sustain his program. I know he ran into issues, but the program was already declining prior to that. Mike Anderson seems to be sustaining the system better than Richardson did.

John Pelphrey is getting fires at Arkansas. He had a top 5 recruiting coming in next year.

My first big Niner wins was the Diet Pepsi Tourny with Alabama and Depaul. Rodney Odom = BEAST (if only for a weekend)[/quote]

I was there too…huge weekend…and the 4th team was NC State, they lost so we didnt get a chance to play…those were the days when depaul was a team that had national respect…

Wow. Felt was right. Surprising, but after seeing their crowds (or lack thereof) this season it’s easy to see that many have lost faith in Hewitt. Hewitt will be well paid in his departure. Good situation for a new coach to come into, as they will have a new arena in 2012-2013.[/quote]

Better job Georgia Tech or NC State? Discuss.

Wow. Felt was right. Surprising, but after seeing their crowds (or lack thereof) this season it’s easy to see that many have lost faith in Hewitt. Hewitt will be well paid in his departure. Good situation for a new coach to come into, as they will have a new arena in 2012-2013.[/quote]

Better job Georgia Tech or NC State? Discuss.[/quote]

Ga Tech. No duke and chapel hill to contend with minutes from your doorstep, great area for basketball recruiting in ATL, and a fanbase that can’t be quite as delusional as ncsu.

Better job Georgia Tech or NC State? Discuss.[/quote]

Ga Tech. No duke and chapel hill to contend with minutes from your doorstep, great area for basketball recruiting in ATL, and a fanbase that can’t be quite as delusional as ncsu.[/quote]

NCSU
2 National Championships, better recruits/players in place, and intense rivalries.