2011 Men's Hoops Coaching Carousel

[quote=“J Felt, post:218, topic:25118”]FTFY.

BTW, Lebo will leave EZU first chance he gets at a BCS gig.[/quote]

It’s highly unlikely. We pay like a low tier BCS school and with both sides of his family here and being a retread I don’t see it. What good BCS jobs are going to ever want a retread? Very few and probably none that would be good enough to make him leave a good situation here. Baring a couple of very deep NCAA runs I don’t think we have anything to worry about. Probably wouldn’t even if he made them.

With everyone else in the state so down and state in transiton and getting guys with no ties, not working, this is good timing to try to sign a big class next year.

You do realize NC State just hired a retread, right?

St. John’s hired Lavin.

If Lebo is successful at EZU, he’s leaving.

[quote=“StillJonesing, post:221, topic:25118”]It’s highly unlikely. We pay like a low tier BCS school and with both sides of his family here and being a retread I don’t see it. What good BCS jobs are going to ever want a retread? Very few and probably none that would be good enough to make him leave a good situation here. Baring a couple of very deep NCAA runs I don’t think we have anything to worry about. Probably wouldn’t even if he made them.

With everyone else in the state so down and state in transiton and getting guys with no ties, not working, this is good timing to try to sign a big class next year.[/quote] :))

If Lebo gets a program like ECU into the NCAA’s and wins a game or two, he will be a hot item. A “very deep NCAA run” will result in a number of job offers that would give him a better situation for continued success. Either would include ECU’s first ever NCAA win, right? But you’re right, you probably don’t have anything to worry about.

[quote=“J Felt, post:222, topic:25118”]You do realize NC State just hired a retread, right?

St. John’s hired Lavin.

If Lebo is successful at EZU, he’s leaving.[/quote]

#1 he didn’t have the same caliber of success as either of those coaches at the BCS level. Also dropping from an elite job like UCLA or even a solid job like Alabama is a lot different than one of the worst BCS jobs like Auburn.

#2 they were both unemployeed.

#3 how often does a coach’s parents and his wifes whole family live in the same city they are coaching. Rare.

#4 NC State was desparate, bottomline, wasn’t like he was their target.

No good jobs will want him even if he won a game or two in the dance, and that’s our gain.

That’s the most idiotic statement I’ve read all day.

If “no good job will want him” that means he’s done jack-squat at EZU. If other programs want your coach, that means he’s a good coach!

Then again, EZU is where basketball goes to die, so I’m sure you’re used to that. I’m sure you won’t have to worry about Lebo leaving, ever.

Do you really gain anything if the coach is not desirable???

I want Major to be a wanted commodity, it means he’s accomplished something will being here.

Ultimately I think the most important thing you ignore that will keep him here is the family aspect, but any “good” BCS job that would be much of a step up would have a HARD time selling Lebo as a good hire since Auburn fired him. Look at NC State’s reaction.

Many coaches have won games in the NCAA with bad schools and never get bigger jobs. Hell our last coach took #14 seed southern conf team to the sweet 16 and the only reason he even got our job was as an interim basis originally. Some coaches never get a chance and some have had them like Lebo. Highly doubt he gets another or would even want to leave a good situation here if he’s winning for a bad BCS job again that could derail his career. Familys big here too.

Bobby Lutz is a UNC Charlotte alumnus and his entire family lived in and around the Charlotte area. He practically begged for the Tennessee job.

These coaches make enough money to move their family any time they want.

You’re right, though, Lebo will probably be at EZU for the rest of his career.

The flip side is that a much more lucratice BCS gig would make him better able to provide for his family. I don’t really care if he stays or goes but to think that he wouldn’t jump at a major pay day is just being blind. I think the same about Major.

Had Lutz ever been fired at that point? BIG difference. Hell Lutz even wanted our job after you fired him and didn’t get it. when you get fired at a level you are at you hardly ever get a second chance even at worse percieved schools on that level .Especually if you fall below it first. And how many ever work their way back. Lebo could be massively successful here and never sniff another chance at a job like Tennesse… Those good schools have their pick of coaches and would want the next hot thing, not a retread from ECU and that’s great for us.longterm and I can’t see him leaving for bad BCS jobs anymore than Lutz did.

[quote=“2k, post:226, topic:25118”]Do you really gain anything if the coach is not desirable???

I want Major to be a wanted commodity, it means he’s accomplished something will being here.[/quote]

Stablity. He could have lots of success at this level and never be desrible for BCS schools again. Look at successful BCS retreds that drop to our level, who ever made it back? Doesn’t meant they can’t have tons of success though.

Why not? Lebo is currently at a bad non-BCS job.

I’m with StillJonesing, Lebo has everything he could want:

• family
  • new and awesomely amazing facilities
  • a fertile recruiting ground since he basically owns charlotte talent
  • a hot and aspiring city in Greenville
  • a fanbase that is rabid for more basketball
  • a UNC degree and ties which make him ultimately more bad ass than anybody else

and most importantly…

• Stilljonesing in his corner.

[quote=“X-49er, post:220, topic:25118”]
All of State’s prominance prior to Valvano hinges on David Thompson, and State and Duke both got put on probation for recruiting violations after their recruitment of Thompson. That was the only period where State was really “above” UNC-CH. State was definitely above Duke until 1978 and briefly in the ealry 80’s, but since then it’s been no contest.[/quote]

That’s not entirely true. They had 16 conference championships. Thompson was only involved with 2 of them. They had 2 National Titles and Thompson was only part of one of them.

[quote=“X-49er, post:220, topic:25118”][quote=“Normmm, post:216, topic:25118”]Prior to 1990, Valvano resigning:
NCSU: 2 National titles, 16 conference titles, 370-225 in conf, 890-376 over all
UNC-CH: 2 National titles, 11 conference titles, 450-110 in conf, 952-316 over all
Duke: 0 National titles, 8 conf titles, 368-235 in conf, 859-414 over all

Luckily for Duke they didn’t take the same stance when hiring Coach K as some think NCSU should now take in regards to their coach/program.[/quote]

Duke actually stuck with Kry after he got off to a bad start, and it paid off. He’s even said himself that after his 3rd season at Duke that he wasn’t sure if they were going to keep him. They did, and look where they are now. Where do you think State would be now had they kept Herb? Herb had 5 straight NCAA appearances, and had James Harden on the way to Raleigh.[/quote]

You’re comparing Duke to sticking with K after 3 seasons to State sticking with Sendek after 10 seasons?

If State had stuck with Sendek, who knows. But he only had a single Sweet 16 in 10 seasons. So I would guess over the past 5 seasons with Sendek they would have been 0-10 in ACC Titles, two first round NCAA games, and 2-12 against UNC-CH and Dook.

I believe NC State’s expectations for the coach they could hire was unrealistic. But I don’t understand why it’s a bad thing for them to have higher expectations for their program over all. I don’t see how a program can ever admit to not being able to do as well as their main rivals. I see it very similar to people trying to tell us we can’t succeed in college football.

Early and Moxley to NCSU?

I understand[/quote]

I’ve been trying to figure out if that really was Ron Steele’s girlfriend, as per the rumor.

Just been on the NC State board, I think they want Moxley as top assistant.

Why not? Lebo is currently at a bad non-BCS job.[/quote]

At every successful school there was someone that had to start that success. ECU hasn’t been very successful in the past but I wouldn’t call it a “bad” job, and Lebo had some success in his first year here. One thing is for sure, we’ve never been as commited in the past as we are now and are paying Lebo $612k a year. He also gets 100k bonus for every NCAA he makes and we could pay more if needed, like lower BCS schools. Why would he go to a lower tier BCS school like Oregon St if he is winning here, family is here, he’s making good money, etc. Lot more risk and no good BCS schools will ever offer him again.

I would like someone to name a guy that got fired on the BCS level… was rehired by a non-BCS… had success and then was re-hired by a BCS school. I’m sure it has happened before but I can’t think of one coach ever. I can however think of a lot of coaches that didn’t have success on the BCS level got fired and were hired by non-BCS schools that went on to have lots of success. I’d even say most even do, because like Lebo most were winners on that level before.

There are clearly advantages for hiring retreads, as they have less options and usually have won before at lower levels. Even if Gotfried is great at NC State, they probably never have to worry about the elite schools trying to take their coach with his history. They will just go hire the next hot young thing on his way up like Brad Stevens.

Jonesy, ignoring the goofiness of this board being your new home, does it really make any sense for us to be discussing Lebo on the Coaching Carousel thread? Wait until he leaves and then it fits. Until then try and stay on topic.

Lutz and Moxley to NCSU is new hot rumor

[quote=“Normmm, post:233, topic:25118”][quote=“X-49er, post:220, topic:25118”]
All of State’s prominance prior to Valvano hinges on David Thompson, and State and Duke both got put on probation for recruiting violations after their recruitment of Thompson. That was the only period where State was really “above” UNC-CH. State was definitely above Duke until 1978 and briefly in the ealry 80’s, but since then it’s been no contest.[/quote]

That’s not entirely true. They had 16 conference championships. Thompson was only involved with 2 of them. They had 2 National Titles and Thompson was only part of one of them.[/quote]

Thompson and the teams he played on is what most any fan would remember prior to Valvano. All of those other conference titles except for two date back to pre-1960. So since 1959, State has won the ACC Tournament 6 times. That’s 6 out of 52, and none in the last 25 years, yet they think they are “equals” to Duke and UNC-CH when it came to hiring a coach.

[quote=“Normmm, post:233, topic:25118”][quote=“X-49er, post:220, topic:25118”][quote=“Normmm, post:216, topic:25118”]Prior to 1990, Valvano resigning:
NCSU: 2 National titles, 16 conference titles, 370-225 in conf, 890-376 over all
UNC-CH: 2 National titles, 11 conference titles, 450-110 in conf, 952-316 over all
Duke: 0 National titles, 8 conf titles, 368-235 in conf, 859-414 over all

Luckily for Duke they didn’t take the same stance when hiring Coach K as some think NCSU should now take in regards to their coach/program.[/quote]

Duke actually stuck with Kry after he got off to a bad start, and it paid off. He’s even said himself that after his 3rd season at Duke that he wasn’t sure if they were going to keep him. They did, and look where they are now. Where do you think State would be now had they kept Herb? Herb had 5 straight NCAA appearances, and had James Harden on the way to Raleigh.[/quote]

You’re comparing Duke to sticking with K after 3 seasons to State sticking with Sendek after 10 seasons?

If State had stuck with Sendek, who knows. But he only had a single Sweet 16 in 10 seasons. So I would guess over the past 5 seasons with Sendek they would have been 0-10 in ACC Titles, two first round NCAA games, and 2-12 against UNC-CH and Dook.[/quote]

I disagree there. Herb had made it to the Dance with only one player the caliber of Harden, and he had Harden coming and was building something good. It took him 5 seasons just to get them back to the Dance. That’s how bad they were. He may have indeed been 0-15 now in ACC titles had he remained at State, but so would 8 other ACC members.

I’m not saying that they should not have high expectations, but State fans have unrealistic expectations. When your main rivals are annually ranked in the Top 10 and you’re not a Top 40 program, you really shouldn’t expect to beat them very often until you’ve given a coach the chance to build your program back up. Herb was just getting to that point, but he knew that they were about to axe him so he left town. Yes it took 10 years, but State was in terrible shape after Robinson left and after having been on probation.