2011 Men's Hoops Coaching Carousel

I was on topic nugget, it just digressed from stealing our coaches like another poster suggested. Overall the conversation was more about retread coaches though, which is what Gottfried and many on carousel are. Being a retread though I don’t think NC State has much to worry about from elite schools wanting Gottfried regardless of how well he does, and there is enough in his resume to believe he can have success at NC State.

If NC State hired the next hot up and comer like Shaka Smart #1 he could still be a fluke with so little history, and #2 if he had any success there in a few years one of the blue bloods would probably just take him away just like UCLA did to Pitt with Ben Howland, Kansas did with Illinois with Self, Kentucky did with Memphis with Cal. etc

It’s doubtful the elite programs would ever want Godfried though even if he was having similar success because they can get one just like him who is younger with no baggage or failures on the resume. It’s not a bad hire for NC State looking at the long term. That was more the point. He’s still in his forties and can probably stay at NC State a long time and build a nice top 25 program if they keep expectations realistic and don’t run him off too. In a lot ways I think Lebo is similar to other retreads and in that he doesn’t have a lot of upward mobility anymore and could probably be here a long time as well where as if we hired a hot up and comer and he had any success I agree he would be out of here quickly.

[quote=“StillJonesing, post:241, topic:25118”]I was on topic nugget, it just digressed from stealing our coaches like another poster suggested. Overall the conversation was more about retread coaches though, which is what Gottfried and many on carousel are. Being a retread though I don’t think NC State has much to worry about from elite schools wanting Gottfried regardless of how well he does, and there is enough in his resume to believe he can have success at NC State.

If NC State hired the next hot up and comer like Shaka Smart #1 he could still be a fluke with so little history, and #2 if he had any success there in a few years one of the blue bloods would probably just take him away just like UCLA did to Pitt with Ben Howland, Kansas did with Illinois with Self, Kentucky did with Memphis with Cal. etc

It’s doubtful the elite programs would ever want Godfried though even if he was having similar success because they can get one just like him who is younger with no baggage or failures on the resume. It’s not a bad hire for NC State looking at the long term. That was more the point. He’s still in his forties and can probably stay at NC State a long time and build a nice top 25 program if they keep expectations realistic and don’t run him off too. In a lot ways I think Lebo is similar to other retreads and in that he doesn’t have a lot of upward mobility anymore and could probably be here a long time as well where as if we hired a hot up and comer and he had any success I agree he would be out of here quickly.[/quote]

We didn’t hire Lebo, ECU did. I think you’re confused.

God I hope not. I dont want to have to root against Lutz

http://www.statefansnation.com/index.php/archives/2011/04/06/orlando-early-to-join-staff/

That would be interesting to say the least. With Early already there do we see 3 former Niner coaches in Raleigh?

The only place that NCSU BB is NOT irrelevant is Raleigh. Yow’s running a circus.

PS: I think Lutz has had enough of women AD’s.

God I hope not. I dont want to have to root against Lutz[/quote]

Even after he mocked us on the air?

Why not? Lebo is currently at a bad non-BCS job.[/quote]

I’m sure it has happened before but I can’t think of one coach ever.[/quote]

You should think harder, but then again you will say UMass was not a BCS job, but I’d say the BCS didn’t exist during his reign, and he went from NBA to Menpiss.

Even after he mocked us on the air?[/quote]

wait…what?

Why not? Lebo is currently at a bad non-BCS job.[/quote]Why would he go to a lower tier BCS school like Oregon St[/quote]
I dunno, ask Larry Eustachy. Coached at Iowa State, went to Southern Miss, and campaigned for the Oregon State job.

Southern Mississippi coach Larry Eustachy has some baggage, but his record is outstanding and he wants a shot at the Oregon State job.

Even after he mocked us on the air?[/quote]

wait…what?[/quote]
he made a joke about still being paid when Mac said they couldnt pay him for the interview, Lutz said “thats okay, I’m still being paid by Charlotte” I thought it was funny and in good taste

Yeah, I though it was funny as well.

Yeah, I though it was funny as well.[/quote]

It was…some just try to bad-mouth Bobby at every opportunity.

It was…some just try to bad-mouth Bobby at every opportunity.[/quote]

It was a classless pot shot and out of character for someone who is supposed to be so classy.

It was a classless pot shot and out of character for someone who is supposed to be so classy.[/quote]I agree with 2002.

It was…some just try to bad-mouth Bobby at every opportunity.[/quote]Are those the same bad-mouthers that bashed Judy for firing Bobby? They bad-mouth everything.

It was a classless pot shot and out of character for someone who is supposed to be so classy.[/quote]While it might be better to hold your comments, it makes better radio to make the joke. I think when you get fired you are entitled to a couple of shots at the ex-boss. It is a part of the healing process.

It was a classless pot shot and out of character for someone who is supposed to be so classy.[/quote]

Sometimes we just need to get over ourselves. Bobby made a joke. Time to move on folks.

It was a classless pot shot and out of character for someone who is supposed to be so classy.[/quote]

No it wasn’t.

It was a classless pot shot and out of character for someone who is supposed to be so classy.[/quote]While it might be better to hold your comments, it makes better radio to make the joke. I think when you get fired you are entitled to a couple of shots at the ex-boss. It is a part of the healing process.[/quote]

It pissed me off at the time but yes, I conceded today at NNN lunch that in the same position, I’d take some shots at my boss if I was fired. Judy did the same thing earlier when she made references to the recruiting habits of Major vs. Lutz. I didn’t think that was cool either.