2013 Commitments Only Thread?

Why thank you, I’m glad I took the time to read that, I know much more about the status of our recruiting now… (end extreme sarcasm)[/quote]

Well I sure as hell haven’t seen Ben Cherry’s name pop up on the board before.[/quote]

Here you go
http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=31569.msg577038#msg577038

I wasn’t really meaning to be a smart ass to you, this recruiting thing is frustrating… oh well we are a football school now anyway!

[quote=“ninermike, post:16, topic:27683”]Update from David Scott http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/24/4002175/with-urgency-rising-charlotte.html[/quote] See my bitch about this article in the Clark transfer thread. Thanks for the link.

It is baffling that we have five scholarships and haven’t signed anyone. You have to wonder whether Major is so particular about a player fitting his system that he narrows the pool of recruits down to almost zero or more likely just has trouble closing the deal. Lutz went after big name recruits and then struck out and went the JUCO route. Major has apparently set his sights lower and still misses the mark. It would be interesting to find out what is really going on behind the scenes.

I too feel the anxiety and frustration of waiting with this year’s class, only because we have not heard anything yet. However, I think by mid-May, we will have signed a decent freshman big (or two) and two transfers. Most recruiting battles don’t have the drama that we went through with Atewe. If one of the bigs is a JUCO, that’s fine by me.

One could only wonder what would have happened if Clark announced his transfer plans before Atewe made his decision.

This is just my speculation, but I think the staff felt like we were in a good position next year and didn’t need much in the way of recruits. They went after Atewe pretty hard (because they felt we needed more FC depth like the rest of us) and were content with Lester and Atewe if that were our recruiting class. Then we lost Mayfield, damaging but not ruining because we were adding Lester and we might be able to pick up a senior transfer (like Cherry) to make up for losing Mayfield.

Then Atewe signed with someone else. Then we lost Clark and things got real ugly, real quick. It was a perfect shit storm, and I hope we’re able to recover with some decent players (be it Juco, transfers or a late signing gem). This off season could end up breaking Major’s career though. We should still be solid next year, but not as good as we could have been. If we don’t lose Clark, if we sign Atewe, if Mayfield doesn’t burn out, things look better next year. But all three happened and we suddenly went from being able to be picky to being desperate.

Coaching staff should have accounted for someone transferring, because it is the norm in college basketball. It is a tough place to be in, but it is the reality of college sports today. I still think leaving 2-3 scholarships open for next year is ideal, but ugh.

This is just my speculation, but I think the staff felt like we were in a good position next year and didn’t need much in the way of recruits. They went after Atewe pretty hard (because they felt we needed more FC depth like the rest of us) and were content with Lester and Atewe if that were our recruiting class. Then we lost Mayfield, damaging but not ruining because we were adding Lester and we might be able to pick up a senior transfer (like Cherry) to make up for losing Mayfield.

Then Atewe signed with someone else. Then we lost Clark and things got real ugly, real quick. It was a perfect s*** storm, and I hope we’re able to recover with some decent players (be it Juco, transfers or a late signing gem). This off season could end up breaking Major’s career though. We should still be solid next year, but not as good as we could have been. If we don’t lose Clark, if we sign Atewe, if Mayfield doesn’t burn out, things look better next year. But all three happened and we suddenly went from being able to be picky to being desperate.

Coaching staff should have accounted for someone transferring, because it is the norm in college basketball. It is a tough place to be in, but it is the reality of college sports today. I still think leaving 2-3 scholarships open for next year is ideal, but ugh.[/quote]

You may have a point, but the coaching staff should have had some type of contingency plan for whatever may happen. After all, we are the Niners.

And I said as much in my post.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/25/4004028/former-olympic-high-hoops-star.html

Any possibility we are on this??

[quote=“TRLeader, post:29, topic:27683”]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/25/4004028/former-olympic-high-hoops-star.html

Any possibility we are on this??[/quote]

Did you see who he’s getting recruited by? we have a negative chance.

[quote=“Savio, post:30, topic:27683”][quote=“TRLeader, post:29, topic:27683”]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/25/4004028/former-olympic-high-hoops-star.html

Did you see who he’s getting recruited by? we have a negative chance.[/quote]

You are probably right about this, but this just shows how far we have fallen in the last 6-7 years. There was a time (not that many years ago) when our fans AT LEAST thought we had a chance recruiting against “big name” schools, especially local guys. We’ve fallen so far down now that our own fans accept that we have no chance with these guys. :frowning:

[quote=“919R, post:31, topic:27683”][quote=“Savio, post:30, topic:27683”][quote=“TRLeader, post:29, topic:27683”]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/25/4004028/former-olympic-high-hoops-star.html

You are probably right about this, but this just shows how far we have fallen in the last 6-7 years. There was a time (not that many years ago) when our fans AT LEAST thought we had a chance recruiting against “big name” schools, especially local guys. We’ve fallen so far down now that our own fans accept that we have no chance with these guys. :([/quote]Let’s be real elite talent has been leaving Charlotte for longer than 6-7 years. Who was our last big signee out of Charlotte? Withers? He was in 2002 and even then it’s not like we had a clamp on top talent in the city.

[quote=“2k, post:32, topic:27683”][quote=“919R, post:31, topic:27683”][quote=“Savio, post:30, topic:27683”][quote=“TRLeader, post:29, topic:27683”]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/25/4004028/former-olympic-high-hoops-star.html

You are probably right about this, but this just shows how far we have fallen in the last 6-7 years. There was a time (not that many years ago) when our fans AT LEAST thought we had a chance recruiting against “big name” schools, especially local guys. We’ve fallen so far down now that our own fans accept that we have no chance with these guys. :([/quote]Let’s be real elite talent has been leaving Charlotte for longer than 6-7 years. Who was our last big signee out of Charlotte? Withers? He was in 2002 and even then it’s not like we had a clamp on top talent in the city.[/quote]

And I don’t recall us winning many of those battles with the bigger name schools. I’m still stung we lost Jason Parker.

[quote=“919R, post:31, topic:27683”][quote=“Savio, post:30, topic:27683”][quote=“TRLeader, post:29, topic:27683”]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/25/4004028/former-olympic-high-hoops-star.html

You are probably right about this, but this just shows how far we have fallen in the last 6-7 years. There was a time (not that many years ago) when our fans AT LEAST thought we had a chance recruiting against “big name” schools, especially local guys. We’ve fallen so far down now that our own fans accept that we have no chance with these guys. :([/quote]
Good take. We also have fallen so low we are just glad to get “depth” or warm bodies. We have so much to offer.

[quote=“MKNiner, post:33, topic:27683”][quote=“2k, post:32, topic:27683”][quote=“919R, post:31, topic:27683”][quote=“Savio, post:30, topic:27683”][quote=“TRLeader, post:29, topic:27683”]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/25/4004028/former-olympic-high-hoops-star.html

You are probably right about this, but this just shows how far we have fallen in the last 6-7 years. There was a time (not that many years ago) when our fans AT LEAST thought we had a chance recruiting against “big name” schools, especially local guys. We’ve fallen so far down now that our own fans accept that we have no chance with these guys. :([/quote]Let’s be real elite talent has been leaving Charlotte for longer than 6-7 years. Who was our last big signee out of Charlotte? Withers? He was in 2002 and even then it’s not like we had a clamp on top talent in the city.[/quote]

And I don’t recall us winning many of those battles with the bigger name schools. I’m still stung we lost Jason Parker.[/quote]

MK, that doesn’t matter. We were better off being on a list of a highly touted recruit that we had no chance at so we could get burned by them and end up with the Wabash Valley JC All-Stars.

[quote=“2k, post:32, topic:27683”][quote=“919R, post:31, topic:27683”][quote=“Savio, post:30, topic:27683”][quote=“TRLeader, post:29, topic:27683”]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/25/4004028/former-olympic-high-hoops-star.html

Never said we were WINNING a lot of those battles, but at the very least we were trying. We tried hard for guys like Parker and atleast were on his list late (even if he knew he was going to UNCCH it was still good press) and occasionally we would land one…Demarco Johnson, Jobey Thomas, Curtis Withers, etc. were all top 150 or better and had “bigger name” offers. Have we gotten any Charlotte area top 150s lately? Have we even been on any final 3-4 lists with top local talent (100-150) lately?
In any case, it just seems even worse to me when our “message board fans” (ie; our biggest fans) don’t expect anything out of us in terms of local recruiting now. Back then, maybe we were over-confident about who we could sign but atleast we were “in the game” (in our own minds atleast).

We were in with Shelton Mitchell, Tyler Lewis. Recruited Braxton Obugeze, Demery plays in Charlotte and is blowing up.

Lester was top 150 at Rivals until he came here.

[quote=“2k, post:37, topic:27683”]We were in with Shelton Mitchell, Tyler Lewis. Recruited Braxton Obugeze, Demery plays in Charlotte and is blowing up.

Lester was top 150 at Rivals until he came here.[/quote]
Good points, no doubt.

To expand on this a little----you did remind me of some local “talent” we were after, but the other point I had emphasized was our own fans low expectations. I bet if I went back and looked at posts, almost no one on this board ever thought we had a chance with any of them (including myself) and that is sad…yes, I realize we did NOT land any of these guys. :frowning:

Maybe it’s time I adopt Twitter so I can follow 2K from there. It’s so tiring reading all the recruiting nonsense just so I can get to 2K’s next post where he drops the real knowledge and shuts everyone up.

whats 2k’s twitter?