2014 Charlotte Football Practice

Sunday Afternoon practice was a hot one… also was first day in full pads.

Team took day pretty light for most of practice keeping to schedule on ind drills leading to team 7-7 drills then a light scrimmage to end as always.

Tempo was really high all day and really showed in players. Few lineman threw up and slowed down late in practice. Even skill positions recognized the conditions but didn’t show any extra signs of fatigue.

Gonna jump straight to team scrimmage:

Johnson had great moments mixed with horrible ones. Could have thrown 3-4 picks (20-30 plays) today easily on routes jumped by defense. Only INT today was on 2nd play to Caleb Clayton-Molby who slid underneath a slant and made a solid catch.

Johnson had 2 perfect throws to Duke, one a deep seam route hitting Duke in stride for a untouched td. The other was a timing slant route perfectly thrown. (That mixed with play action slants/seams will be vital to offense)

Best route of day goes to Bostick, he ran a corner route perfectly leaving def 10 yards behind for easy 20 yd gain.

Best catch: FR WR Chris Montgomery went on a corner but was overthrown by McNeill. Montgomery made a turning leaping grab with his fingertips and took the hit hauling in the pass. Multiple players an Coach Mullen really reacted to play…

Best def play: Desmond Cooper with help defense over top on a H-back. Johnson threw a perfect ball hitting receiver in stride over the shoulder, Cooper punched ball out as it arrived for the in-completion. Aaron Curry sprinted the field to congratulate him on play.

Ratliff was fiery today as it was first real action for O-line against defense. Mostly good on exception of a missed assignment that made him explode on Casey Perry.

Barden had two great throws to open drills, perfect placement on both passes. Outside hitch he placed outside so only wr could catch. Quick slant to H-back he threw low to protect receiver. AS i typed twitter in praise he forced a corner almost intercpted by Terrance Winchester. (Growing but not ready this yr.)

Maetron Thomas a freshman RB looked very exciting today. Kid is quick and nice moves on his cuts. Excited to see more of him.

NT Tyler Fain looked like he rolled a ankle and was walking gingerly with shoe off after practice. Has had problem with blisters so could be that just getting worse?

Best news: Kalif and Ogunjobi participated fully with no restrictions and looked fine with full contact.

Practice Monday at 7:00 AM

Appreciate the insight! Good to get a glimpse of how things are going. Thanks!

[quote="#StateOfCharlotte, post:41, topic:28917"]Sunday Afternoon practice was a hot one… also was first day in full pads.

Team took day pretty light for most of practice keeping to schedule on ind drills leading to team 7-7 drills then a light scrimmage to end as always.

Tempo was really high all day and really showed in players. Few lineman threw up and slowed down late in practice. Even skill positions recognized the conditions but didn’t show any extra signs of fatigue.

Gonna jump straight to team scrimmage:

Johnson had great moments mixed with horrible ones. Could have thrown 3-4 picks (20-30 plays) today easily on routes jumped by defense. Only INT today was on 2nd play to Caleb Clayton-Molby who slid underneath a slant and made a solid catch.

Johnson had 2 perfect throws to Duke, one a deep seam route hitting Duke in stride for a untouched td. The other was a timing slant route perfectly thrown. (That mixed with play action slants/seams will be vital to offense)

Best route of day goes to Bostick, he ran a corner route perfectly leaving def 10 yards behind for easy 20 yd gain.

Best catch: FR WR Chris Montgomery went on a corner but was overthrown by McNeill. Montgomery made a turning leaping grab with his fingertips and took the hit hauling in the pass. Multiple players an Coach Mullen really reacted to play…

Best def play: Desmond Cooper with help defense over top on a H-back. Johnson threw a perfect ball hitting receiver in stride over the shoulder, Cooper punched ball out as it arrived for the in-completion. Aaron Curry sprinted the field to congratulate him on play.

Ratliff was fiery today as it was first real action for O-line against defense. Mostly good on exception of a missed assignment that made him explode on Casey Perry.

Barden had two great throws to open drills, perfect placement on both passes. Outside hitch he placed outside so only wr could catch. Quick slant to H-back he threw low to protect receiver. AS i typed twitter in praise he forced a corner almost intercpted by Terrance Winchester. (Growing but not ready this yr.)

Maetron Thomas a freshman RB looked very exciting today. Kid is quick and nice moves on his cuts. Excited to see more of him.

NT Tyler Fain looked like he rolled a ankle and was walking gingerly with shoe off after practice. Has had problem with blisters so could be that just getting worse?

Best news: Kalif and Ogunjobi participated fully with no restrictions and looked fine with full contact.

Practice Monday at 7:00 AM[/quote]

Looking forward to that combo of Kailf Phillips and Maetron Thomas. I doubt we see it this year, but next year for sure!!

Did Devon Johnson participate fully in practice? He is going to be key to our D-Line this year.

thanks for the updates #SOC… good stuff.

Not too encouraging to hear that Johnson could have had 3-4 picks on 30 or so plays, especially since defense is (presumably) still the weaker unit on the team.

Hopefully he’s getting all the bad ones out of his system .

Sounds like what we saw from Johnson last year. He can make big throws, which he has done consistently in games and throughout camp, but there were stretches where he made some pretty awful decisions as well. Our receiving corp and O-Line are strong, and should make his job easier. Hopefully he learns to play within his limits, and that he will have to produce if he wants to keep from losing his spot to Barden in 2015.

Despite hearing barrier, Hart ready to compete

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/08/02/5082495/despite-hearing-barrier-hart-ready.html#.U9-u6_ldUj4

Not directly practice related, but…as some of you know I am a staff writer at Underdog Dynasty, SBNation’s new site covering AAC, C-USA, Sun Belt, and Army/Navy football. We won’t be covering the Niners year-round since they haven’t made the jump yet, but they gave me the OK to give the team a little press anyway. :slight_smile:

Check it out!

I enjoyed that Sydh. Chuckled a little at the name thing.

Good to have you back, even in a limited capacity.

This year will be HUGE in whether or not that’s something he can realistically learn and improve on…or if it’s simply just a part of his DNA and who he is as a QB. Remember, he did not throw a lot in Highschool…so who knows, maybe he can keep learning.

If not…that’s what Barden is here for.

[quote="#StateOfCharlotte, post:37, topic:28917"]Can I take easy route on what Freshman will have biggest impact?

It will be Freshman Punter Arthur Hart. Really good hang time, decent depth. Looks good overall but I haven’t watched him closely yet just in passing. Lambert praised his hang time on punts. Interesting Note: he is hearing impaired. Lambert said it was a non-issue when recruiting him. He can hear some loud pitches and can read lips. Team met him at one of summer camps and felt communication was good and liked his kicking style so they offered him.

If I cant go punter IDK who I would go with yet. Maybe a receiver for Return reasons? Either Montgomery or Quattlebaum. RB Maetron Thomas is looking good but I think they look to red-shirt most of them.

When pads come on people will stand out more, freshman only get 10-20 reps in team drills compared to 70-100 for most players.

Today’s Notes:

• Justin Bridges-Thompson is playing both ILB and OLB. Still think they want to red-shirt him but seeing what he can do at both spots.
  • OLB race is Jalen Holt and Daquan Lucas. Lucas moved from CB but Lambert really likes him in new role. (Alcalde locked up other LB spot)
  • Loser of practice today: Devin Pearson- got in trouble on 7-7 for giving up on play and Lambert kicked him out of drills for rest of day.
  • Highlight of day: Matt Johnson faked out 3rd team defense on pump fake and hit Nesmith down field for 40 yd td.
  • FR-OT Chris Brown not practicing (Tweaked knee)
  • FS Prince Mayela having good camp, I dont think he can unseat Ardy Holmes or Desmond Cooper though.

Kick return options:

Order they went and who they paired with…

1st (Nesmith, Damarrell Alexander)
2nd (Duke, Tank Norman)
3rd (Will Thomas, Chris Montgomery)
4th (Afam, Mark Quattlebaum)

PR options:

Didn’t practice but according to Lambert- Damarrell Alexander, Duke, Holmes. (all he named I’m on lookout for that)[/quote]

Not sure if this had been posted before but this is a good article with a good video about Arthur Hart. The video shows him signing his letter of intent, donning the hat the sweatshirt and reflects his excitement and his schools pride in him signing with the niners. Our media dept needs to take note of how they subtitled the sign language. Good stuff.

[quote=“Gassman, post:52, topic:28917”][quote="#StateOfCharlotte, post:37, topic:28917"]Can I take easy route on what Freshman will have biggest impact?

It will be Freshman Punter Arthur Hart. Really good hang time, decent depth. Looks good overall but I haven’t watched him closely yet just in passing. Lambert praised his hang time on punts. Interesting Note: he is hearing impaired. Lambert said it was a non-issue when recruiting him. He can hear some loud pitches and can read lips. Team met him at one of summer camps and felt communication was good and liked his kicking style so they offered him.

If I cant go punter IDK who I would go with yet. Maybe a receiver for Return reasons? Either Montgomery or Quattlebaum. RB Maetron Thomas is looking good but I think they look to red-shirt most of them.

When pads come on people will stand out more, freshman only get 10-20 reps in team drills compared to 70-100 for most players.

Today’s Notes:

• Justin Bridges-Thompson is playing both ILB and OLB. Still think they want to red-shirt him but seeing what he can do at both spots.
  • OLB race is Jalen Holt and Daquan Lucas. Lucas moved from CB but Lambert really likes him in new role. (Alcalde locked up other LB spot)
  • Loser of practice today: Devin Pearson- got in trouble on 7-7 for giving up on play and Lambert kicked him out of drills for rest of day.
  • Highlight of day: Matt Johnson faked out 3rd team defense on pump fake and hit Nesmith down field for 40 yd td.
  • FR-OT Chris Brown not practicing (Tweaked knee)
  • FS Prince Mayela having good camp, I dont think he can unseat Ardy Holmes or Desmond Cooper though.

Kick return options:

Order they went and who they paired with…

1st (Nesmith, Damarrell Alexander)
2nd (Duke, Tank Norman)
3rd (Will Thomas, Chris Montgomery)
4th (Afam, Mark Quattlebaum)

PR options:

Didn’t practice but according to Lambert- Damarrell Alexander, Duke, Holmes. (all he named I’m on lookout for that)[/quote]

Not sure if this had been posted before but this is a good article with a good video about Arthur Hart. The video shows him signing his letter of intent, donning the hat the sweatshirt and reflects his excitement and his schools pride in him signing with the niners. Our media dept needs to take note of how they subtitled the sign language. Good stuff.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/recruiting-insider/wp/2014/02/11/model-pk-arthur-hart-signs-with-unc-charlotte/[/quote]

clt says that is very cool. Now we know how to sign “49ers”

Injuries starting to take a toll on the team:

ILB Nick Cook (R hamstring)

WR Workpeh Kofa (Knee)

H-Back Justin Bolus (Shoulder)

OT Chris Brown (MCL)

NT Tyler Fain (Right Foot)

[quote="#StateOfCharlotte, post:54, topic:28917"]Injuries starting to take a toll on the team:

WR Workpeh Kofa (Knee)

OT Chris Brown (MCL)

NT Tyler Fain (Right Foot)[/quote]
Wait until these crybabies turn 50. This is my list after I spend the day working in the yard. :))

[quote="#StateOfCharlotte, post:54, topic:28917"]Injuries starting to take a toll on the team:

WR Workpeh Kofa (Knee)

OT Chris Brown (MCL)

Not as concerned with Fain and Kofa… i anticipated they would both be redshirted… I just hope Cook, Bolus and Brown all recover in the next week or so.

[quote=“chasmo101, post:56, topic:28917”][quote="#StateOfCharlotte, post:54, topic:28917"]Injuries starting to take a toll on the team:

WR Workpeh Kofa (Knee)

OT Chris Brown (MCL)

Not as concerned with Fain and Kofa… i anticipated they would both be redshirted… I just hope Cook, Bolus and Brown all recover in the next week or so.[/quote]

I expect Cook will be out a few weeks minimum with hamstring, they can be tricky and really last all yr if you are not careful.

Brown is out and is expected to be red-shirted. 6-10 weeks with surgery expected.

[quote="#StateOfCharlotte, post:57, topic:28917"][quote=“chasmo101, post:56, topic:28917”][quote="#StateOfCharlotte, post:54, topic:28917"]Injuries starting to take a toll on the team:

WR Workpeh Kofa (Knee)

OT Chris Brown (MCL)

Not as concerned with Fain and Kofa… i anticipated they would both be redshirted… I just hope Cook, Bolus and Brown all recover in the next week or so.[/quote]

I expect Cook will be out a few weeks minimum with hamstring, they can be tricky and really last all yr if you are not careful.

Brown is out and is expected to be red-shirted. 6-10 weeks with surgery expected.[/quote]

Does that decrease the likelihood that Bridges-Thompson is redshirted?

[quote=“MikeNiner11, post:58, topic:28917”][quote="#StateOfCharlotte, post:57, topic:28917"][quote=“chasmo101, post:56, topic:28917”][quote="#StateOfCharlotte, post:54, topic:28917"]Injuries starting to take a toll on the team:

WR Workpeh Kofa (Knee)

OT Chris Brown (MCL)

Brown is out and is expected to be red-shirted. 6-10 weeks with surgery expected.[/quote]

Does that decrease the likelihood that Bridges-Thompson is redshirted?[/quote]

I hope not. In my opinion if they want and plan to red-shirt JBT it would be shortsighted to change that now.

I think ILB Karrington King will get an opportunity to earn time first. He has been behind in camp due to his mother getting married and missing a couple days. Lambert speaks very highly of him and was excited when he got into camp to have him back.

Kevin Utz @KevinUtz1 · 1h
Bad news: Starting Center Thomas La Bianca stays down with left knee. Carried off field.

NinerReport.com @CharlotteRivals · 51m
Heavy ice on the knee of Starting Center Thomas La Bianca. Walking on it now but very cautious.