2015 Fall Baseball

There will be no Green-White Fall WS this year, but the Niners will host the Ontario Blue Jays again in an exhibition game on October 17th.

The 2016 roster has been updated on the official site:

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=23200&SPID=44796&SPSID=363414

A few notes on the roster:

• we lost Seniors Brad Elwood, Pat Raley, and Brett Bond.
  • also gone from the roster are Trevor Gay, Matt Davis, and Danny Raley. Matt Davis was injured last year and may not be playing baseball anymore. Raley was a big surprise who stepped up last year and was productive in the lead-off spot as a DH. He ended up going closer to his hometown in Tennesse, ETSU maybe? Trevor Gay is the most interesting loss. He was having a great summer in the CPL and then all of a sudden he transfers to UNC-CH. I don’t know any of the details, but it sounds pretty shady to me.
  • Derek Gallello was granted a 5th year and is back this season.

New additions to the roster:

Reece Hampton OF- He played summer ball in the SCBL as an incoming Freshman and I expect him to jump in at CF this year and bat lead-off. He has the speed we have been missing for the last few years.
Drew Ober IF/ OF - Also played in the SCBL as an incoming Freshman. His bat may get him into the line-up this year maybe in the OF or at DH.
Derek Fritz C- JUCO transfer who originally committed to FSU out of HS. He will be a significant upgrade offensively at our catcher position
Conner Thompson C- Probably will not make an impact in 2016 but will hopefully sit and develop behind our veteran catchers.
Holden Capps LHP- JUCO who should compete for innings right away.
Zach Flannagan RHP- JUCO who will compete for innings right away.
Gavin Helman RHP- not sure how much he will contribute as a frosh.
Drew Morrison LHP- not sure how much he will contribute as a frosh.
Colton Laws RHP- transfer from ECU after last fall semester. Was an SCBL All-Star this summer. Might compete for a starter position this year.
Jackson Mims IF- transfer from ECU who started at 3B for the Pirates last year for a portion of the season. CPL All-Star this summer. Will sit this year as a transfer.

We also have a couple of guys who sat last year as transfers and are eligible this season. Philip Perry transferred from ECU and should help our bullpen this season. Brandon Casas transferred from Maryland and he will compete for a starting spot on the mound after a great summer for the Gastonia Grizzlies.

Two guys who signed with us did not make it on the 2016 roster. Andrew Jordan was drafted and signed with the Reds. Skyler Bean ended up at Oklahoma City University (NAIA).

Great update Mr. B. Thanks.

No mention of turf field.

I believe the plan is to turf the infield before the '17 season.

I believe the plan is to turf the infield before the '17 season.[/quote]

I did see on twitter that there is supposed to be some BIG announcement regarding the Hayes in the coming weeks.

Derek Gallello was granted a 5th year and is back this season.

Glad to see this news about Derek.

Trevor Gay is the most interesting loss. He was having a great summer in the CPL and then all of a sudden he transfers to UNC-CH. I don't know any of the details, but it sounds pretty shady to me.

And I guess Trevor Gay just decided he was tired of being required to attend classes.

I did see on twitter that there is supposed to be some BIG announcement regarding the Hayes in the coming weeks.[/quote]

It will certainly help with the early part of the schedule when it’s done. They’ve still got to do something about the headlights shining into the stadium from the new road.

[quote=“49r9r, post:6, topic:29860”]

Derek Gallello was granted a 5th year and is back this season.

Glad to see this news about Derek.

Trevor Gay is the most interesting loss. He was having a great summer in the CPL and then all of a sudden he transfers to UNC-CH. I don't know any of the details, but it sounds pretty shady to me.

And I guess Trevor Gay just decided he was tired of being required to attend classes.[/quote] Well, I got called to task awhile back regarding Chapel Hill and gays, so no comment.

I did see on twitter that there is supposed to be some BIG announcement regarding the Hayes in the coming weeks.[/quote]

It will certainly help with the early part of the schedule when it’s done. They’ve still got to do something about the headlights shining into the stadium from the new road.[/quote]
Can you spill the beans about what this “announcement” is?

It will certainly help with the early part of the schedule when it’s done. They’ve still got to do something about the headlights shining into the stadium from the new road.[/quote]
Can you spill the beans about what this “announcement” is?[/quote]Is it not the turf field they are mentioning?

Can you spill the beans about what this “announcement” is?[/quote]Is it not the turf field they are mentioning?[/quote]

I don’t think we’re sure about what they were referring to in that tweet.

Can you spill the beans about what this “announcement” is?[/quote]Is it not the turf field they are mentioning?[/quote]

I don’t think we’re sure about what they were referring to in that tweet.[/quote]WDKWWDK.

Turf done by thanksgiving

I like it. :+1::+1:

12 inning scrimmage against the Ontario Blue Jays on Saturday at 1:00. The Blue Jays are basically a High School All-Star/Travel Team from Canada that has been playing exhibitions against college teams all over the US this fall. They just recently played the defending national champions UVa.

http://ontariobluejays.com/home/

http://www.pointstreak.com/baseball/team_schedule.html?teamid=92319&seasonid=29831

Also Ryan Butler is pitching in the Arizona Fall League with some of the top prospects in MLB. He is currently ranked as the 11th best prospect in the Padres org.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=210420303

If the Big News ends up being turf I will be sorely disappointed.

Are they going to turf the baselines and batter area like at Wake Forest’s Ernie Shore Field?

@Diamond9erFans: .@NinerBaseball will host @NCStateBaseball at BB&T Ballpark uptown on 3-29-16 according to NCSU schedule release.

Great news! That was a fantastic event last year, glad we’re doing it again. I can’t recommend attending this enough, even if you’re not a huge baseball fan it’s still a ton of fun.

I still chuckle at the lady next to me at the last game that was wondering why all these UNCC people were at the game. She thought “Charlotte” meant the Knights were playing NC State.