2016 Summer Movies!

March 4
Zootopia – Animated movie from Disney, trailers have been pretty damn funny
London has Fallen – This is London! OK Well it’s got Butler reprising his role from Olympus has Fallen.
March 11
The Brothers Grimsby – Sacha Baron Cohen vehicle about a football hooligan and an MI6 agent.
10 Cloverfield Lane – Existing in the same universe as Cloverfield from a few years back JJ brings us another installment. Managed to film this under the radar of Hollywood so details are hard to come by.
March 18
The Divergent Series: Allegiant – I didn’t see the first one, but teen novel trying to capture the Hunger Games crowd
March 25
Bats v Supes – First big tent pole of the season. Rumors from early reviews are all over the place. Wonder Woman supposedly is stealing the movie. Obvious cash grab from DC to kick start their universe. A lot rides on this movie as DC has spinoffs all lined up.
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 – Looking to grab the female non comic crowd with counter programming
April 1
Amityville: The Awakening – Apparently The Force isn’t the only thing that has woken up! Latest horror movie installment from the Amityville series.
April 8
Hardcore Henry – Pushing the POV of a first person shooter this movie could be either awesome or make you sick
April 15
The Jungle Book – Directed by John Favreau Disney continues the practice of bringing animated classics to life
Barbershop: The Next Cut – Who knew they were still making these?
April 22
Elvis and Nixon – Kevin Spacey as Nixon and Michael Shannon as Elvis, films recounts the morning of 12/21/70 when the two met – a story that has never been told
The Huntsman: Winters War – Hemsworth is back as the Huntsman this time with Emily Blunt, Charlize Theron and Jessica Chastain – so before you say no to your wife wanting to see Hemsworth think about that trio of ladies.
April 29
Keanu – Ever wanted to see a movie about a cat being kidnapped? Here is your chance. Stars Key and Peele
May 6
Captain America: Civil War – Nearly all the avengers are back for a family feud! Billed as a psychological thriller with a controversial ending this movie is sure to set the stage for Phase 3 of the MCU – Also SPIDERMAN!
May 13
Free State of Jones – All right All right All right lets watch this McConaughey movie set in the civil war about a county in Mississippi that tried to leave the confederacy
May 20
Angry Birds – Yes those angry birds. In a movie. Ugh
Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising – More hijinks from Rogen and Efron but this time with some ladies
The Nice Guys – Crowe and Gosling and takes place in the 70s with down and out PIs
May 27 – First big showdown weekend on Memorial Weekend
Alice through the looking Glass – Johnny Depp back in the lead role with big budget Disney picture
X-Men Apocalypse – Some hold overs like Lawrence and Fassenbender join a cast with recast young roles. Apocalypse looks kinda crappy, but it might look fine in the movie.

June
June 3
TMNT: Out of the Shadows - Makes me wanna sing the song…… T – U – R – T – L – E POWER!
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping – The lonely island guys meet up with Apatow so this could either be really really funny or really bad.
June 10
Warcraft – For all the gamers out there who have never had sex they can live their ultimate fantasy
The Conjuring 2 – I never saw 1 so no idea what to expect but it’s gonna try to scare you
Now You See Me 2 - Another sequel to a movie I didn’t see, but this one has a solid cast coming back from #1. Woody Harrelson, Mark Ruffalo, Daniel Radcliffe, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Jesse Eisenberg, Jay Chou, Lizzy Caplan, Dave Franco
June 17
Central Intelligence – Kevin Hart continues his assault on the movie industry but this time he has The Rock along with him
Finding Dory – So you know that annoying blue fish from Finding Nemo? Yeah here is a movie about her
June 24
Independence Day: Resurgence – So apparently uploading a virus via AOL really pissed them off and after a few years to get their s*** straight the aliens decided to take another shot at us. No Will Smith but some of our other favorites will return.
July
July 1
Legend of Tarzan – Guy grew up with apes and then was domesticated by Jane aka Margot Robbie (I would let her domesticate me too). Samuel L and Christopher Waltz also appear as Tarzan returns to the Congo
BFG – Speilberg movie from Disney based on Roald Dahl work about a big dude.
The Purge: Election Year – So you thought Purge movies were done? Nah – here is another one for you but this has the blonde chic from Lost in it with Crossbones from Captain America as they try to tie politics with the Purge.
July 8
Secret Life of Pets – It is about pets, it is animated, trailers are funny as s***
Captain Fantastic – Aragorn, I mean Viggo Mortensen lives deep in the woods and is forced to leave, part comedy and part drama and ZERO comic superhero, did they trick you with the title?
July 15
Ghostbusters – DO NOT GO SEE THIS MOVIE – HOLLYWOOD SHOULD NOT BE REWARDED FOR DESTROYING THIS FRANCHISE. ALL WOMEN??? WTF
July 22
Star Trek Beyond – The rebooted Star Trek goes out for it’s third movie. JJ no longer in the directors chair and Simon Pegg helped write the script. Movie promises to bring something new while honoring the spirit of the original tv series.
Ice Age: Collision Course – I had no idea these movies were still being made
July 29
Jason Bourne – Damon said he would come back if Paul Greengrass came back, Paul Greengrass said he would come back if there was a story to tell – they are back so I guess we have a story to tell.
August
August 5
Suicide Squad – Bring a bunch of bad guys together to go do something good, basically the dirty dozen but with comic book bad guys. Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn seems right, Jared Leto as the Joke is iffy at best. Bats and Supes either doing great or doing poorly will probably impact this one to some degree
9 Lives – Kevin Spacey as a cat or something, Jennifer Gardner is in it too. This makes me think two things, Underwood is a cat? Come on. I miss Alias. F you Ben Afleck.
August 12
Ben Hur – Are you thinking wait isn’t that an old movie? Yes it is, but this is a new version!
Pete’s Dragon – Disney goes back to their well once again with a movie many of us remember from our childhood, but different
August 19
Kubo and the Two Strings – Epic action adventure set in Japan and computer animated. Solid voice talent in McConaughey, Theron, Mara, Fiennes
August 24 & 31
Nothing really exciting

Fall Movies

October
Underworld 5 - Kate Beckinsale in leather!
Jack Reacher 2
November
Dr. Strange
Fantastic Beasts
Bad Santa 2
December
SW: Rogue One
Assassins Creed
Beverly Hills Cop

Three comments:

Now You See Me - You should see this. Entertaining summer movie full of twists. Shows that well done CGI is not just for blowing stuff up and blue aliens.
Jack Reacher - Reacher is 6’5", 250 lbs, and they cast Tom Cruise. :-[ See the movie, but read the books.
Kate Beckinsale in leather - That is all I needed to hear.

Am I the only one disappointed by that list? Not much on there I care to see. The kiddie stuff is some of the most promising, and that’s just sad. Star Wars should have been a summer movie, like the original damnit. The Fall/Winter list looks stronger

I will say that the suicide squad preview I saw @ Deadpool had me thinking it might not be as terrible as I was expecting. May even be watchable. Jared Leto could ruin it though if his Joker sucks. Also, I am fairly certain Margot Robbie never said “puddin” once in the trailer, and that is important.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:5, topic:30212”]Am I the only one disappointed by that list? Not much on there I care to see. The kiddie stuff is some of the most promising, and that’s just sad. Star Wars should have been a summer movie, like the original damnit. The Fall/Winter list looks stronger

I will say that the suicide squad preview I saw @ Deadpool had me thinking it might not be as terrible as I was expecting. May even be watchable. Jared Leto could ruin it though if his Joker sucks. Also, I am fairly certain Margot Robbie never said “puddin” once in the trailer, and that is important.[/quote]

I don’t have a ton of excitement for these films but I can count maybe 8 or so that I will probably see. Even with a nice home theater setup I much prefer to see action movies in a theater. Civil War, Bats/Supes, Suicide Squad, ID, Star Trek, X-Men, Bourne and Cloverfield seem like ones I wont want to miss.

You better get used to SW happening in Dec because I think they will all move there. The total domination of the Force Awakens at the box office is too strong. Why come out in the summer when in a week or two another tent pole comes out? Just drop in Mid December and own the Box for 6-8 weeks. I am looking forward to Dr Strange Underworld and Assassins Creed and I loved Bad Santa so will be down for that again all though if Lauren Graham isn’t saying F me Santa not sure if I will like it as much.

[b]Civil War, Bats/Supes[/b], Suicide Squad, [b]ID[/b], Star Trek, X-Men, Bourne and Cloverfield seem like ones I wont want to miss.

The fact that I have zero interest in the first two is probably why I am feeling this way. I’m probably in the minority, and I know it is part of pre-established comic book plots, but the vs mode stuff still plays like a gimmick and it has turned me off. ID is a rental unless I am bored. I think I can write the script and dialogue, right now, completely drunk off my ass. I guess it’ll be fun as a sing along. I’ma little nervous about Star Trek and X Men - though I really liked that storyline in Xmen. Star Trek - the first preview was garbage, which apparently Simon Pegg thought too. Bourne is a must see, and Cloverfield looks interesting.

You usually leave off the indie films I like to see from these lists - and maybe that’ll be the redeeming quality this year. Also, My son likes those Divergent flicks (theyre corny, but whatever), and I’ll still get a kick out of seeing that and the other kiddie fare with him.

I think I am in the mood for some mind blowing high concept sci fi. Been a coupla pretenders to that crown the last coupla years, though at least Interstellar tried.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:7, topic:30212”]

Civil War, Bats/Supes, Suicide Squad, ID, Star Trek, X-Men, Bourne and Cloverfield seem like ones I wont want to miss.

The fact that I have zero interest in the first two is probably why I am feeling this way. I’m probably in the minority, and I know it is part of pre-established comic book plots, but the vs mode stuff still plays like a gimmick and it has turned me off. ID is a rental unless I am bored. I think I can write the script and dialogue, right now, completely drunk off my ass. I guess it’ll be fun as a sing along. I’ma little nervous about Star Trek and X Men - though I really liked that storyline in Xmen. Star Trek - the first preview was garbage, which apparently Simon Pegg thought too. Bourne is a must see, and Cloverfield looks interesting.

You usually leave off the indie films I like to see from these lists - and maybe that’ll be the redeeming quality this year. Also, My son likes those Divergent flicks (theyre corny, but whatever), and I’ll still get a kick out of seeing that and the other kiddie fare with him.

I think I am in the mood for some mind blowing high concept sci fi. Been a coupla pretenders to that crown the last coupla years, though at least Interstellar tried.[/quote]

Yeah I don’t dive into the depths for the indie stuff. Too many to list. I am very nervous about bat/supe and I think there is a good chance it will be poor. Civil War though - the reviews coming in early on it rave about it. The Russo’s taking over I think is perfect. The comic storyline is one of the most popular and well received critically storylines in comics in the last 25 years. I am very excited to see how it plays out. ID I am really not too excited about but me from 1996 would be really pissed at 2016 me for not going to see this movie. ST - I am really not sure what to expect. The first trailer was bad. If this one doesn’t do well it could be the end of the rebooted series.

clt is pumped for titanic 2.

First big movie of the season is this weekend. Reviews coming in aren’t too good.

Well there’s a shocker.

I actually liked Man of Steel too. It wasn’t so bad. Cavill was a good Supes.

Brother saw a early screen of BvS last night said it was pretty good but too long, dark, and gloomy like most Snyder stuff. He said he liked the marvel flicks better. Said the action sequences are really well done but it just tries too hard.

Free State Of Jones…Action drama set during the Civil War starring Matthew McConaughey.My kind of movie…true story with release date of June 24th.

clt recommends zoo lander 2

With the summer movie season drawing to a close its time to wrap this up.

My main review here is that having a 5 year old and a 5 month old will greatly impact your ability to watch movies. Where we used to not miss a big movie we saw only a few this year.

Some clear winners - Civil War, Finding Dory, Zootopia
Some clear losers - Bat/Supes, Idependence Day, Ghostbusters

For me I pretty much loved Zootopia, Civil War, Cloverfield Lane and the wife says Dory and Jungle Book were very good. Bats/Supes I really thought was bad and the more I think about the worse it gets - MARTHA!!! Star Trek was a big surprise. I really liked it. I think I liked it better than the other two in the rebooted series. Suicide Squad up next and its getting hammered by the critics. DC has their work cut out for them. Looking forward getting pretty amped up about Rogue One as well as Assasins Creed. Dr Strange is looked really good - at some point Marvel has to mess up and make a stinker right? I don’t think it will be this one.

Seeing Jason Bourne tomorrow. Probably won’t report back so you might as well see it for yourself.

Yeah may check that one out this weekend.

Yeah may check that one out this weekend.[/quote]

Saw Star Trek Beyond and Jason Bourne this weekend (visited relatives out east). Both are good summer action films. Don’t take a 1st trimester pregnant woman to see either though. Lots of wildly moving camera angles.

Bourne is exactly what you’d expect, a Bourne series movie. It doesn’t disappoint, but nothing Earth-shattering either.

Star Trek Beyond is a great movie if you can forget everything about Star Trek you learned before going into the theater and accept it just as another space-action-adventure-special effects movie. The actors can play their parts well even when looking back to the original crew, but the “changed setting” of this Star Trek Universe is way over the top for anyone that grew up on Star Trek before the movie series reboot.

To a Star Trek “purist” this is like a caricature of Star Trek, or maybe more like Star Trek on steroids and LSD.

Saw Star Trek Beyond and Jason Bourne this weekend (visited relatives out east). Both are good summer action films. Don’t take a 1st trimester pregnant woman to see either though. Lots of wildly moving camera angles.

Bourne is exactly what you’d expect, a Bourne series movie. It doesn’t disappoint, but nothing Earth-shattering either.

Star Trek Beyond is a great movie if you can forget everything about Star Trek you learned before going into the theater and accept it just as another space-action-adventure-special effects movie. The actors can play their parts well even when looking back to the original crew, but the “changed setting” of this Star Trek Universe is way over the top for anyone that grew up on Star Trek before the movie series reboot.

To a Star Trek “purist” this is like a caricature of Start Trek, or maybe more like Star Trek on steroids and LSD.[/quote]

While I don’t disagree - I think this is the most Star Trekish of the rebooted films.

To a Star Trek “purist” this is like a caricature of Start Trek, or maybe more like Star Trek on steroids and LSD.[/quote]

While I don’t disagree - I think this is the most Star Trekish of the rebooted films.[/quote]

It wasn’t as badly “telegraphed” as Into Darkness. The whole repeat of the Wrath of Khan death scene was cheesy as hell. All in all I have liked the reboot of Star Trek better than what I saw in Star Wars Episode VII, which is almost a scene for scene redo of Episode VI.