2017 Baseball Thread

Fall practice is underway, and a few games from the schedule have been released. Looks like another tough schedule to prepare us for C-USA play. Also some future games released today.

http://charlotte49ers.com/news/2016/9/13/baseball-to-play-ecu-arkansas-in-home-and-home-series.aspx

2017:
Opening series we host WVU.
at ECU for 3 games
at South Carolina for a mid-week
Home & Home with NC State
Home & Home with Wake Forest

Host ECU
Host Arkansas
at Georgia

2019:
at Arkansas

I don’t follow baseball at all. How is the team shaping up Mr. B? Have any notable recruits?

Hard to follow baseball recruiting in too much detail, but we had 2 of our recruits get drafted. One signed with the Twins, the other, Zack Smith chose to come to Charlotte instead of signing with the Indians. He mainly plays catcher. It was a Top 50 class and we only lost 1 to the draft so that’s a good thing. Brad Elwood’s little brother Todd is an incoming freshman. Hopefully his career will be as productive as his brother’s.

We have also added a RHP transfer from Arkansas & our 3B transfer from ECU, Jackson Mims will be eligible this year. Those are probably the big additions

Almost everyone is back from last year. There have been some staff changes as we now have a new pitching coach. Bo Robinson has moved in to the Recruiting Coordinator position.

Assuming that is a 3 game return series with ECU in '18.

Nice to see them on the schedule. Like the idea of drawing more attention to Niner program within the Carolinas.

Gotta credit Hibbs for creating a challenging schedule.

After the success this summer from the folks in Conway SC, I did a little digging into their program:

–$1.2 million for a hitting/practice facility

–$15.2 million overhaul of facilities during '13 and '14 seasons.

They spent $700,000 on a video board/scoreboard. Not sure, but I’m willing to guess scoreboard at the Hayes is operated from a Radio Shack TRS-80 computer. The scoreboard system at the Hayes looks like it might have cost $600.00-$700.00 back in the early 1990s.

CCU looks like a classic case of “if you build it, they will come”.

Any games uptown? I hope so.

I would guess that we would play NC State uptown again. That game seems beneficial to both programs. I hope we can continue doing this because it is one of the most enjoyable events we do each year.

I would guess that we would play NC State uptown again. That game seems beneficial to both programs. I hope we can continue doing this because it is one of the most enjoyable events we do each year.[/quote]

clt wonders if the Knights will cancel that series due to hb2 and the Zika.

Hard to follow baseball recruiting in too much detail, but we had 2 of our recruits get drafted. One signed with the Twins, the other, Zack Smith chose to come to Charlotte instead of signing with the Indians. He mainly plays catcher. It was a Top 50 class and we only lost 1 to the draft so that’s a good thing. Brad Elwood’s little brother Todd is an incoming freshman. Hopefully his career will be as productive as his brother’s.

We have also added a RHP transfer from Arkansas & our 3B transfer from ECU, Jackson Mims will be eligible this year. Those are probably the big additions

Almost everyone is back from last year. There have been some staff changes as we now have a new pitching coach. Bo Robinson has moved in to the Recruiting Coordinator position.[/quote]thanks!

Almost everyone is back from last year. There have been some staff changes as we now have a new pitching coach. Bo Robinson has moved in to the Recruiting Coordinator position.[/quote]thanks![/quote] Mr B is encyclopedic in his baseball knowledge [Note to millennials: use the internet to look up “encyclopedia” along with “record player” and “phone booth”]

Full schedule released:

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/news/2016/10/26/baseball-announces-toughest-schedule-in-program-history.aspx

Very strong schedule this year with OOC weekends being WVU, @ ECU, Rider, & Xavier. Mid weeks with SC, NC State, & Wake.

We play WKU for the first time this year, and drop USM from the C-USA schedule.

Home C-USA weekends: LaTech, FAU, MTSU, Rice, UTSA
Road C-USA Weekends: FIU, ODU, WKU, UAB, Marshall

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:11, topic:30527”]Full schedule released:

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/news/2016/10/26/baseball-announces-toughest-schedule-in-program-history.aspx

Very strong schedule this year with OOC weekends being WVU, @ ECU, Rider, & Xavier. Mid weeks with SC, NC State, & Wake.

Road C-USA Weekends: FIU, ODU, WKU, UAB, Marshall[/quote] Good to see another downtown game against State. Looking forward to seeing Rice at The Hayes, too. Also nice to see we are no longer scheduling Cheat. Hope that lasts a few more years.

South Carolina has a fantastic stadium, may try to make it down there depending upon the time of the first pitch.

I’m gonna try to go to that game. That’s a great schedule we have this year.

Is .500 the goal this year?

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:11, topic:30527”]Full schedule released:

Road C-USA Weekends: FIU, ODU, WKU, UAB, Marshall[/quote]
There’s no explanation for WHY they chose to create the toughest schedule in history.

[quote=“sportsman1417, post:15, topic:30527”]Is .500 the goal this year?[/quote] 56-0

[quote=“emf, post:16, topic:30527”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:11, topic:30527”]Full schedule released:

Road C-USA Weekends: FIU, ODU, WKU, UAB, Marshall[/quote]
There’s no explanation for WHY they chose to create the toughest schedule in history.[/quote]

Why not?

The schedule is good enough to get us an at-large bid if we have success. I think that should be our scheduling philosophy across the board. At worst you take some lumps OOC and get better prepared for a tough Conference like C-USA.

I’d also think that playing a schedule like this is attractive to recruits and fans.

To be the best, you have to play the best!

Do you think our AD may attend a game this year?