2017 Baseball Thread

Full stadium for both games too, which greatly enhanced the atmosphere. I would be happy if we started every season by hosting WVU. They had good fan turnout, and I absolutely loved getting all those runs to stop their “Let’s Go… Mountaineers!” chant.[/quote]
It was very nice shutting that stupid chant up. And watching their fans file out in the 6th and 7th innings as the Niners drubbed them. A sweep would be awesome, I believe WVU is receiving votes to be ranked pre-season so big series win to start the season.

Don’t say anything about their cars though, they are very sensitive and protective of those.

All kidding aside today was a blast. The tailgating was fun and The Hayes had an overflow crowd. The team looked great, it would be fantastic to start the season with a sweep of WV.

Good to start with a pair of wins. Just looked at the Mountaineer roster and they have exactly one senior and a ton freshmen and sophomores.
It will be a big measuring stick against South Carolina in Columbia.

Niners strike Gold according to D1 Baseball

[quote=“NinerAlum18, post:85, topic:30527”]https://d1baseball.com/roundup/d1-digest-saturday-feb-18/

Niners strike Gold according to D1 Baseball[/quote]

Nice to get noticed. D1 is usually pretty brand name focused.

WVU got the victory today 6-3 in front of another standing room only crowd. Nice way to start the year winning the series versus West Virginia, and it would be massive if we can knock South Carolina off Tuesday.

It would be huge. Again bats looked very good with 11-12 hits, but not timely hitting. Niners hit a lot of hard balls, but all were caught.
Also Netzer and Sherer striking out in 8th with 1 out and bases loaded was a killer. Oh well, I’m optimistic going into the game Tuesday, it would be HUGE if we knocked off the #4 Gamecocks.

It would be huge. Again bats looked very good with 11-12 hits, but not timely hitting. Niners hit a lot of hard balls, but all were caught.
Also Netzer and Sherer striking out in 8th with 1 out and bases loaded was a killer. Oh well, I’m optimistic going into the game Tuesday, it would be HUGE if we knocked off the #4 Gamecocks.[/quote]

Do we know who the starting pitcher will be on Tuesday?

Also Netzer and Sherer striking out in 8th with 1 out and bases loaded was a killer. Oh well, I’m optimistic going into the game Tuesday, it would be HUGE if we knocked off the #4 Gamecocks.[/quote]

Do we know who the starting pitcher will be on Tuesday?[/quote]
I honestly have no clue. What is the status on Geohagen?

Lots to like about this weekend. We had three recruits on hand to witness Saturday’s beat down. I don’t believe we’ve seen Horkey yet. Maybe he is going Tuesday.

Do we know who the starting pitcher will be on Tuesday?[/quote]
I honestly have no clue. What is the status on Geohagen?[/quote]

They say Geoghegan still doesn’t have his full velocity back. I believe he had the same surgery as Matt Harvey of the Mets did. Hopefully he can keep getting stronger and work his way back into the rotation.

Jackson Mims named C-USA POTW

http://conferenceusa.com/news/2017/2/20/BB_0220170438.aspx

Mims had a fantastic debut in a 49ers uniform hitting for the weekend cycle with a .538 average in a series win over the Big 12’s West Virginia Mountaineers, who were a preseason pick to play in a June regional.

The Shelby, North Carolina, native began his Charlotte career with a double and RBI in each of his first two at-bats, added a single in his third at bat for three-straight hits and wrapped up the season opener 3-for-4 with his two doubles and two RBI in a 6-3 win for the Niners. For the weekend, Mims went 7-for-13 at the plate against West Virginia with two doubles, a triple, home run and pair of runs scored, all while reaching base in 10 of his 14 trips to the plate. Mims slugged a whopping 1.077 for the weekend with an on base percentage of .571 and racked up 14 total bases.

Defensively, Mims was a perfect 8-for-8 at third base as the 49ers were the only Conference USA team to not commit an error over the weekend.

Big game today at #4 South Carolina. We are throwing Jr lefty Matt Horkey and they have a highly touted freshman making his college debut today on the mound.

It has been almost 9 years, but the last time we went down there in the regular season, we beat down a #3 ranked Gamecock team 11-2.

Game is on ESPN3 if you want to tune in. http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule?type=upcoming&categoryId=484

5-4 loss today at USC, had the tying runner on 3rd with one out in the ninth and the 3 hole in the lineup coming up, just couldn’t plate him. All things considered good showing, and gets us tuned up for our other big games on the schedule for some signature wins (2 with NC State, 3 @ ECU, etc.).

Highlights from Gamecock website:

Yep, another chapter in the book of NINER MOMENTS. ::slight_smile:

I really like this team so far, they play with a bit of a chip and didn’t back down at all from a projected regional team in WV, and a top 5 team in South Carolina. It’s nice to be sitting 2-2 here, and hope we can get 3-4 wins this weekend.

[quote=“JB, post:95, topic:30527”]5-4 loss today at USC, had the tying runner on 3rd with one out in the ninth and the 3 hole in the lineup coming up, just couldn’t plate him. All things considered good showing, and gets us tuned up for our other big games on the schedule for some signature wins (2 with NC State, 3 @ ECU, etc.).[/quote]is ECU a signature win right now? Thought they were kinda down lately?

Good “name” on the resume.