2018 Baseball Thread

Reece Hampton named C-USA Hitter of the Week

3 Likes

Way to go Reece!

I’m suddenly optimistic about our chances for a good finish in the conference, since the toughest part of our schedule has been played. This probably means I will experience the usual disappointment which goes with being a Charlotte fan.

The team has lost a number of games they shouldn’t have, but there is still time to do some good things. I hope they do it.

clt says they should open the gates to the baseball game and allow spring game tailgaters in

1 Like

Not counting weekday games, in conference, we play the fifth, seventh, tenth, eleventh, and twelfth teams as of today’s standings.

We’ve played 16 games against teams ranked or in the top 25 of the RPI.

I absolutely think we will finish strong.

2 Likes

I agree.

The team has definitely been through the ringer. We haven’t taken advantage of our opportunities against top competition but we’ve snagged a few good resume wins. Wake Forest, Arkansas, LaTech(x2). 11 of our 17 losses were against Top 20 RPI teams. We’ve taken some lumps and I hope it will pay off down the stretch and in the tournament.

We should win our 3 remaining home series (ODU, Marshall, WKU). Hopefully a sweep or 2. At Rice will be a toss-up. Who knows what you will get from them this year. The last series at UTSA will be big. They are pretty much in the same position as we are now. They just finished their toughest part of their schedule too.

Solid mid-week win over HPU this week. RPI is now down to 98. We’ll have to go on a helluva tear the rest of the way to get the RPI down to bubble worthy. If we can rack up some wins, we might get there.

Big series this weekend vs ODU. Lots of promotions. Fireworks on Friday night, 40th Year celebration on Saturday, Bark in the Park on Sunday. I think you get in free with your Spring game ticket on Saturday.

Brett Netzer will be in Winston starting tonight through Sunday to take on the Dash. He’s been doing well so far this season. Check him out if you are in the area this weekend.

TJ and Zach are having a hot start this season as well. Both hitting in the top of the line-up for Delmarva.

2 Likes

Good to hear about TJ and especially about Zach.

walk off win tonight. came through in the clutch.

1 Like

Took 2 out of 3 from ODU this weekend. Currently 0.5 games out of 4th place. I think FAU, USM, and LaTech have the top 3 spots locked down, and everyone else will be fighting for 4th.

We have a mid-week with WF at the Hayes on Tuesday, before heading out to Rice this weekend. Who knows what to expect down there with all the chaos going on with them. It came out yesterday that this would be Wayne Grahams last year, and I don’t think Graham wants it to be. Then they had a crazy game vs FAU full of controversy.

What kind of controversy?

What was the controversy?

Definitely glad to see baseball getting it done as of late. Getting good at these walk-offs.

C-USA has a travel day rule in baseball, that you can’t start an inning after a certain time in order to give the visiting team time to get ot the airport, etc. Rice & FAU agreed to a 4:15 time for Sunday. Both teams agree on this before the series.

They were tied at 6 going into the 9th inning. FAU catcher hits an RBI double down the line in the top of the 9th to take the lead 7-6. Rice comes out to argue the call. The umps talk about it for a good 5 minutes before overturning the call and calling it a foul ball. Rice gets out of the inning, and comes to bat in the 9th. As 4:15 is quickly approaching, FAU starts to use delay tactics. They’ve already won the first 2 games of teh series so they are happy with a tie. They have several meetings on the mound, pick-off throws, intentionally walked a guy. So Rice has guys at 1st and 2nd, no outs, it is now 4:15. The entire FAU dugout jumps out on the field and starts the hand shaking line. Words are exchanged between teh 2 teams, but the FAU players ans staff all head on into the clubhouse to get ready to leave. The umps also leave. Wayne Graham chases the umps into the clubhouse to argue but the game is final. 6-6 Tie. FAU remains tied for 1st place because of it.

1 Like

Damn, taht’s some bush league stuff you see in travel ball, :joy:

But the inning started before 4:15 I would think they would still have to play it out.

“Planes don’t care when innings start” was the quote I heard.

Seems to me they should start the game with four hours to play it. The game in Rice started with basically a 3 and half hour time limit.

I’d pay just to see Wayne Graham chase the umps. That must have been the slowest chase since O.J. in the white Bronco.

Sounds like the umps were total incompetents. You don’t discuss a “fair or foul” call for five minutes. You also don’t call the game if the inning isn’t over if that what was agreed upon beforehand. Good freakin’ luck to us to get good umpiring the weekend.

1 Like

I understand that but they agreed that an inning couldn’t start after 4:15 before the game started. If the 4:15 time that Bojangles stated was that play ended at 4:15 regardless of the situation then that is different however I am not familiar with this rule or what the coaches agreed upon.

Based off of the narative that Bojangles put together the coaches agreed that an inning couldn’t start after 4:15 and since the inning started before that deadline then it should’ve been played out or FAU forfeited the game.

Nothing will be changed with regards to the outcome at this point so I’ll just have to agree that it was a bush league move by FAU.

I would also agree that series finale games should start at 12:00 to allow a full 4 hours of play for travel purposes.