2018 Baseball Thread

UTSA has done it all in one inning

Our best pitcher may never see the field in this tourney.

That could raise some eyebrows !

Well, we did the exact same thing last year, sending a freshman Brooks out there for game 1 and saving ace Colton Laws for Game 2. It worked out great last year. This year, the same strategy didn’t. I still think you have to go for it, like we did.

EDIT: I think the bigger mistake was going to Perry 1st out of the pen.

1 Like

I guess it doesn’t really matter who is pitching when our offense can only get 2 hits. We got 2 hits in the 1st to take a 1-0 lead, then 0 hits the rest of the way. This team’s offensive slump has continued into the post season.

1 Like

True…but the common denominator to the entire slump (4 games) is UTSA. Perhaps its just a mental thing at this point…I am a believer in momentum/confidence playing a BIG part in sports, particularly baseball. That is why I thought Josh was the better option. We needed to change the momentum and build our confidence.

Josh in his final (I’m assuming) start shuts out UAB on 3 hits, one hit less than Southern Miss’s ace the day before.
Game over around 1:45 AM local time and 2:45 Eastern time.

1 Like

I stayed up and watched that masterpiece. Very tired now.

1 Like

Add this to the list of crazy things I’ve done to watch the Niners over the years. Running on 3 hours of sleep at work today, but totally worth it.

Josh pretty much put us on his back and carried us on to another day in this tournament. It was great to watch. An awesome story since last year down in Biloxi, it was Josh that came in relief and gave up the walk-off HR to USM when we were down to their last strike. No one knew what to expect from him after that. He bounced back strong after that this offseason and has made it a memorable Senior year. He went from losing his starting spot towards the end of last year to C-USA First Team this year. He’s also put himself in position to play professionally.

EDIT: Here are the post game interviews with Josh and Hibbs discussing some of this. Great story!

As far as the Niners go, we are still struggling offensively. We left lots of guys on base this morning and it almost came back to bite us. We grinded out 2 runs and it happened to be enough. It won’t be enough moving forwrard.

2 Likes

What a great representative for the program. If you’ve never failed it’s probably because you haven’t tried anything. Totally worth staying up to 3 AM to watch. Maybe he inspired the bats. We need offense in the worst way.

Friday night’s game postponed until 10 AM (Eastern) Saturday morning. There’s a spot in the semis on the line against UTSA.

Hopefully we can get some revenge on these guys today. Brooks on the mound for us. Time for the bats to wake up.

anybody have score?

It’s on espn3. Down 4-3 currently. Bottom 5th. More players than fans there.

thanks. not close to a TV

Niners up 10-4 now…Bottom of 7th

2 Likes

Elwood is clutch today!

When did baseball players start wearing baggy clown pants?

at least a decade ago.