2018 Baseball Thread

Details would be nice, like score, for those of us who missed it.

This board is fun. We were fourth for the year and finished fourth in the tourney. It’s getting a 3 on your performance review. Not great, not terrible.

We lost 6-0. It was 2-0 in the fifth and they hit two HR in the sixth to make it 4-0. Added a couple more. We had like 2 or 3 hits the entire game.

3rd in the tournament actually but that doesn’t really matter.

This board really is fun. Simplistic analysis by disinterested observers is awesome.

Unfortunate, but not a bad year. We mostly beat the teams that we should have beaten, but struggled with top 50 RPI teams. Coming up on the last week of the season we we’re like 1-11 against those teams.

I was expecting a step back given all we lost so I see this as a successful season. With the indoor facility, hopefully we will see a jump in recruiting that makes us a contender every year.

2 Likes

I know Southern Miss comes on to our schedule next year. Anybody know which conference team drops off?

Believe it’s LT.

We did some good things and hopefully we have a bunch of people back and good recruits coming in. I watched the game yesterday and there is a pretty sizable talent gap between us and a top 20 team.

It was fun to actually have a team playing for something…

speaking of top 20 teams, Here’s a list of the top 16 seeds:

1. Florida
  2. Stanford
  3. Oregon State
  4. Ole Miss
  5. Arkansas
  6. North Carolina
  7. Florida State
  8. Georgia
  9. Texas Tech
  10. Clemson
  11. Stetson
  12. East Carolina
  13. Texas
  14. Minnesota
  15. Coastal Carolina
  16. NC State

we played 5 of them this year, and went something like 1-8. If we steal just a couple more of those games we may still be playing, but we just couldn’t do it.

clt says lots of good teams in the Carolinas.

Starting at the 1:30 mark…you tell me what you would rather hear.

1 Like

I’m ready to play this afternoon is one thing I would rather hear.

I know. I can feel your disappointment. I just hope you can overcome it in time to offer your outstanding support again next season.

BaaHaHa.

I bet there aren’t 3 coaches at Charlotte that would have said 3 months ago that winning the conference was their goal. Hibbs is one of them. Today, I bet most would (cringing, and no clue how they would pull it off, but they would say it). #goldstandard

2 Likes

Coach Olesen (Track) has that as the goal every year and they got 2 titles this year… I would hope every coach has that goal, whether or not they obtain it that should be in the opening statement first week on campus every year

1 Like

Pretty good assessment there NN.

I was expecting a drop-off from last year after we lost our top 3 hitters, a 4 year starter at 1st Base, and 2 of our weekend starters on the mound. We were picked to finish 6th in the league and we ended up 4th for the second year in a row. We didn’t have any of those “WTF” losses this year. We also didn’t capitalize on the opportunities to knock off some top level teams.

Now this team was not as good as the team we had last year, but I think the staff did a pretty good job of plugging the holes we had after losing so much. This is going to be a regular yearly thing now, where we lose players / and recruits to the draft early and we have to keep re-loading.

Mims, Yett, and Hampton stepped up and led our offense this year. I think Hampton will get drafted and leave early. The other 2 could very well do the same thing. They struggled a bit to end the season though.

It took a little while but I think Cammarata settled in nicely at 1st. He started out in RF and I think he was just too much of a defensive liability out there, so we moved him in to 1B.

We plugged in another JUCO Tommy Bullock in at 2B, and he had a pretty good season. He started off really hot, went through a slump, and then finished strong, getting back into our lead-off spot. Not the offensive threat that Netzer was, but he plugged the hole at 2B nicely.

Ober returned from injury and had a pretty good year taking Jarrett’s spot in LF. Elwood stepped up this year and played pretty well defensively in RF after moving Dom to 1B. He ended up being a solid contributor offensively. Looking forward to his development.

As far as our pitching, Josh stepped up and filled the hole left by ace Colton Laws. After losing his starting spot late last year, he really stepped up and carried us in some games this year. He’ll be a pro in the next few weeks.

Brooks started the season as our Friday guy, but he struggled some. He went thorugh a bad stretch where he lost his starting spot, but he regained the Saturday slot and pitched solid the rest of the year.
We started the season with Patten as our Sunday guy, but he ended up moving back into the closer’s role where he was more comfortable. He excelled in that role and will hopefully get a shot to play professionally.

Another JUCO, Cooner, stepped into the Sunday spot, and was up and down. I think we saw both the up and down in Biloxi this week.

Overall, I’d say it was a successful season. We plugged the holes effectivley and maintained a top 4 spot in the conference. We finished 79 in the RPI which was 20 spots lower than where we were last year, but like I said, this team was not as good as last year’s. With the new indoor facility being up by the fall, the quality of players we will see here will only get better. I’m sure it will be enough to bump us up to contend for the league title on a yearly basis.

1 Like

We were 19-8 in our last 27. USM was 20-7.
We had a tough start, mostly due to the 1-12 run against ranked Arkansas, Chapel hill, State, ECU, FAU, and Georgia in the first 30 games.
Basically, we beat who we should have lost to who we should have and stole enough wins to finish fourth in record, rpi and tourney.
We only lost three conference series’ all season and I hesitate to count the last one versus USTA when we rested everyone.
We lost a ton last season and I think we had a good but not banner season.

Here’s the conference tournament wrap-up show. We’ll do one more show for this season after the MLB draft, which is June 4-6.

1 Like