2018 Baseball Thread

After waning interest since the A10 days, I have to say this year’s squad has started pulling me back in. Having 4 guys in the Minors doing well certainly helps, especially during the long break between baseball and the start of football.

As Mr. B said, should be adding to those ranks with the upcoming MLB draft.

2 Likes

An AD from the U of F might have some ideas to promote baseball. Maybe have a promotion where every student who rides the light rail to a game at BB&T gets a tee shirt and gets entered into a lottery for something.

Charlotte’s baseball recruiting should pick up each succeeding year in CUSA. The A10 was a great conference to accumulate titles, but not overwhelming talent.

2 Likes

A little investment in time and money would go a long way for the baseball program. The marketing $ and effort has been lacking. That has gotten a little better this past season but there is a long way to go.

The way I see it, we have from mid-February to early April( when the minor league teams in the area get started) where we are the only game in town as far as baseball goes. The wheel does not need to be re-invented. Just take a look at what promotions that the minor league teams and collegiate summer ball teams in the area (like the Gastonia Grizzlies) do and use some of the same promotions. Bring in the owner of the Grizzlies, Jesse Cole, and pick his brain for a day. http://web.gastongazette.com/interactive/jesse-cole-traveling-from-gastonia-grizzlies-to-savannah-bananas/

Invest a little into a beer garden area to make it a more permanent feature. Make it as close to a minor league ballgame atmosphere as possible.

3 Likes

Speaking of, Zach Jarrett hit a HR last night in Kannapolis vs the Intimidators. Double header up threre today.

2 Likes

MLB Draft starts tonight and we will likely be impacted. 1st and 2nd rounds are tonight, 3rd - 10th Round Tuesday, and 11-40 on Wednesday. Here are some Niners that could go:

Seniors: Josh Maciejewski & Jonah Patten. I feel like Josh has a chance to go in the Teen rounds or so and I think Patten has shown enough for someone to give him a shot.

Juniors: Reece Hampton will likely be our highest draftee. Jackson Mims and Harris Yett are both likely to get drafted as well. We will see how high they go.

Drew Ober, Cammarratta, and Bullock are also eligible, but I doubt we see them get drafted this year.

Recruits:
Hard to follow but I know that RHP Mason Herbert has been getting some looks from pro scouts.

Alec Roberts is another guy that might get some looks. He’s a 6’3 215 lb OF that has a lot of power.

Here is a list of the eligible HS seniors that we have coming in:

Josh Haney|IF|Stanley, NC (Southlake Christian Academy)
Alec Roberts|OF|Alexandria, VA (Edison HS) (West Potomac)|
Carter Foster|C/ OF|Yadkinville, NC (Forbush HS)|
Mason Herbert|RHP|Canton, NC (Pisgah HS)|
Bryce McGowan|RHP|Cary, NC (Cary HS)|
Chance Howard|RHP/ OF|Princeton, NC (Rosewood HS)|
Riley Cheek|OF/IF|Shelby, NC (Crest HS)|
Justin Offschanka|RHP|Cornelius, NC (Hough HS)|
Will Palinkas|RHP/ 3B|Charlotte, NC (Providence HS)|

The past 3 seasons we have lost 1 of our recruits to the pro draft each year. It is a fine line to walk in recruiting. Hopefully we get the guys on campus.

2017 Tyler Esplin - Red Sox
2016 Zach Featherstone - Twins
2015 Andrew Jordan - Reds

1 Like

Great post Mr. B

1 Like

Someone will steal a future star in Hampton…hope its the Cardinals !

Zach Jarrett has been named to the SAL All Star Team. The AS Game is in Greensboro this year at the Grasshoppers Ballpark on June 19th. I’m assuming he will be in the HR Derby the day before too.

https://www.milb.com/delmarva/news/three-shorebirds-headed-to-sal-all-star-game/c-279872558

2 Likes

It cannot be said enough: IF YOU’RE GOOD ENOUGH, THE PROS WILL FIND YOU NO MATTER WHERE YOU ATTEND SCHOOL.

1 Like

Josh Maciejewski goes in Round 10, No. 307. Expected pick value $137,800. Congrats to Josh.

2 Likes

Any recruits drafted yet?

Awesome to see Josh go on Day 2. Credit to him for the work he put in this off season to go from off the radar to top 10 round pick. I think a lot of credit also goes to pitching Coach Shohn Doty. He’s had 2 guys in his 1st 2 years here go from off the radar to becoming staff aces, 1st team all conference, and Top 10 Round pitchers. I hope the trend continues and more and more guys buy in and put in the work.

1 Like

Who picked him up?

NY Yankees

Nope.

1 Like

Reece Hampton to the Tigers…round 12.

2 Likes

I’m guessing Reece will get offered a bonus in the 6 figures. He still has some leverage of coming back to school so hopefully he gets a little more than his slot value. I’m thinking he will sign.

I’d think he would too, not much incentive (aside from finalizing degree) to come back IMO.

especially considering all the baseball players are only on partial scholarship and he is paying a good % of his tuition. If someone offers you over $100,000 to play baseball, why would you continue to pay to go to class and play ball?

1 Like

Unfortunately, I agree…hate to see him go though…and the Tigers STOLE him at 12 !