2019 & 2020 Early Hoops Expectations

Every year I am overly optimistic and get let down, so I am trying to be more realistic as I read this thread. To me, the best indicator of where we might be next year, with an unknown schedule, and unfamiliar players, is to look at this year’s C-USA results. 14 teams is probably enough of a sample to provide some insight. Only 4 teams in the conference won less than 17 games, and I do believe we could get out of the bottom four in one year. The two middle teams by conference record had 19 and 20 wins, and I don’t discount the possibility of getting to the middle of the conference in one year. I believe it will be easier for us to move from #13 to #7 in the conference than going from #7 to #4, so I think getting 15 wins next year is doable and will make watching this team much more fun. Getting to 20 wins in two years seems reasonable if Sanchez is the right coach. 20 wins doesn’t get us to the Big Dance or NIT though.

NWA talked about getting 22-25 wins. At that point if we don’t get a postseason invite, we can blame the league.

Also realize what’s on the line if we move up to even the AAC. All of a sudden, we become a player for top tier guys like Jaelyn Withers and Patrick Williams due to the improved competition and real TV contract. It would be huge for the program.

1 Like

ODU is 25-8 and no shot at at large bid. League is already an issue, we just haven’t been good enough to file any complaints.

1 Like

I look forward to the day we win 20+ games and can complain about being screwed out of an at-large bid because of our crap conference. Since CUSA 1.0 we haven’t came close to winning any conference regular season or conference tournament.

2 Likes

clt says this recruiting class brings hope back to haltron

3 Likes

CUSA got 1 team in the NCAA tournament (aka the minimum) and 0 teams in the NIT. For some 2 year expectations it looks like It’s go from 13th to 1st in CUSA or win the conference tournament. 2nd guarantees not even NIT.

1 Like

So here is what post season looks like for C-USA in 2019:

1. ODU (Regular Season & Tourney Champ) - NCAA #13 Seed
  2. WKU - No postseason
  3. USM-- CBI
  4. UTSA- No postseason
  5. UAB – CBI
  6. Marshall – CIT
  7. FIU - CIT
  8. FAU- CIT

WKU and UTSA turned down non-NIT invites. WKU just won’t play in non NCAA/NIT events. UTSA has several injuries and decided not to play

Looks like FAU has accepted a CIT bid too. They finished 9th in our conference. Some teams in that tourney finished around .500.

http://www.collegeinsider.com/tournament/schedule-results.php

Updated my previous post.

Funny how WKU will pay their players but not pay to play in a post season tournament.

There is a proposal to move the three point line back more than a foot. If this happens Sanchez’s defense is going to punish teams.

3 Likes

I am seeing a lot of hype about the 2019/2020 squad. You guys might want to temper that a bit as I don’t see much production from old guys coming in and we know the struggles of young players coming in. Sanchez and co is doing a good job filling the cupboard with folks, but we are still lacking in talent especially with the bigs. I feel like we can get out of the cellar with this team, but I don’t think we will be in the top 4 or even best of the middle 4. We still have some work to do before we are seeing 4 - 8 experienced Juniors and Seniors. That is not transfer guys with 4 - 6 ppg at a P5 school, but guys that have come through the Sanchez system and we have seen growth in collegiate stats. It is my belief that if we get to that point we will be in the top 4 teams competing for conference championships.

Will a player averaging 4-6 ppg against P5 opponents be able to get 7-9 against C-USA teams? If so, we may win some games.

Are you saying we will win with playing guys that were off the bench guys on their previous P5 teams?

man, like you’re right, but this is the first full roster we’ve had in YEARS. God forbid we get excited?

Look man nobody is saying we’re going to get an at large next year but we FINALLY have a competent, healthy coach with a full roster, with better talent than we’ve been getting in a long time.

Rain on the parade all you want, but I haven’t been this excited about hoops in a long time.

1 Like

Agree, totally. There are too many variables to even make predictions.

I’m not making any predictions about the upcoming season but I do think that this year our roster is at least up to par with the rest of our conference. The final record will all depend on how well players develop & how quickly Sanchez can get everyone playing in his system. My excitement comes from the fact that we don’t have the obvious handicaps that we had last season with basically 2/3 of a roster and the three seasons before that with what turned out to be a not so great coaching staff. We can finally start to see what this coaching staff can do without any excuses.

Only David Scott can make the number one recruiting class in conference USA sound average

2 Likes

No, not really, I am just saying they might be slightly better here than they were there because of the level of competition. If we play 8 deep with guys that can put 8 points on the board then we have 64 points before anyone has a good game. The last few years we were lucky to have 3-4 players get 8 points in a game.

You know the Disturber.

“It’s an okay class, for C-USA, but on to talking Ah She She.”