2019 Niner Baseball Thread

My hope is that he will rediscover his desire to play (not “stick it out”)
but if he doesn’t, my hope is that he will wind up on something that will light up his life. if he hasn’t already.
i’ve walked away from several things that might have paved a way for me. and one or two might have offered something significant, but following my gut has been good for the most part.

clt says this is what happens when you have athletes that actually go to class.

1 Like

We play Davidson in a Fall exhibition at the Hayes this Thursday at 6:30. First chance to see the new guys in action. Also #DuckFavidson

1 Like

Full 2019 Schedule has been released:

Interview with Hibbs this morning on 730.

http://www.espncharlotte.net/the-wake-up-call-loren-hibbs-10-3-2018/

We beat Davidson 12-0 in a 12 inning exhibition game last night. Our pitching only allowed 4 hits and had 15 K’s. At least 1 K for each of the 10 pitchers we used. The only times that they really threatened were due to a few free passes we allowed them. There were only a few balls that they hit solidly. 1 was a warning track shot that would have been a HR, but they were using wooden bats for some reason.

Offensively we struggled a bit, but were able to score 5 Runs while our starters were in. Our new CF Pat Wheeler hit a 3-run HR, and Ober had 2 hits and an RBI in the 1st 6 innings. We piled it on with our subs as we got deeper into their bullpen.

Our starting line-up:

2B Johnson
SS Bullock
C Yett
DH Vazquez
LF Ober
1B Gonzales
RF Cammarata
3B Haney
CF Wheeler

P Matt Brooks

The pitchers we threw:

Matt Brooks 2 IP
Carson Pinkney 1
Will Palinkas 2
Colby Bruce 1
Spencer Ard (LHP) 1
Ryan Czanstkowski 1
Joey Cooner (LHP) 1
Justin Offshanka 1
Bryce McGowan 1
Chase Gooding 1

2 Likes

Aaron Fitt from D1 Baseball, formerly from Baseball America was at the Hayes last night. Nice to see him leave Chapel Hill for a change. He was impressed with Freshman RHP Will Palinkas out of Providence HS.

1 Like

Good Lord, I remembered the fall exhibition game today. Sucks to be old.
Glad we prevailed even if its just an exhibition. Duck Favidson.

1 Like

What he said.

Another exhibition coming up Friday at the Hayes vs the Ontario Blue Jays. They are a traveling team that are playing several college teams along the east coast this fall.

1 Like

The pre-season previews are starting to come out.

CB Daily posted their C-USA preview last week. They pick the Niners to finish 6th.
Yett & Ober picked for 2nd Team All-Conference
Cammarata & Bullock - Honorable Mention

I have seen Haney, Cheek, McGowan, Offschanka and Palinkas play, and this is a very gifted class. Baseball continues to be a model of consistency at Charlotte. Could not be more thrilled with Coach Hibbs, Borob, Tyler and Doty.

1 Like

From what I saw this fall, I think Haney will be our starting third baseman and Palinkas has a chance to be a weekend guy. We have been plugging holes recently with some solid JUCOs and I’m excited to see how the past 2 freshman classes develop.

I think 6th is a fair assessment at this point. If the pitching depth develops we could place higher.

Niners picked 6th by the C-USA Coaches for the 3rd year in a row. We’ve finished higher than we were picked for the past 4 years and hopefully that continues.

I think USM and LaTech are teh favorites. LaTech brings everyone back from a bubble team they had last year. USM lost some studs but bring back probable 1st Round Draft pick in OF Wallner and 2/3 of their weekend starting pitching. We took 2 of 3 at LT, and split with USM in the C-USA Tourney last year.

After that, I think we could be right in the mix for 3rd-6th. Rice will be improved with some guys coming back from injury, but they have a new coaching staff so who knows. FAU lost a good bit, and FIU has had lots of top talent in their recruiting classes that hasn’t materialized into Wins.

1 Like

Also, some new Nike jerseys for this season

https://twitter.com/CharlotteBSB/status/1088496796224159744

https://twitter.com/CharlotteBSB/status/1088491647703355395

2 Likes

Mr Bojangles approves of the pinstripes, one would assume.:grin:

3 Likes

Anyone know when the tickets for the Uptown games go onsale?

There is a pre-sale for Baseball Season Ticket Holders but here is the ticket info:

Tickets for the @SunbeltRentals Collegiate Baseball Series will go on sale at 10:00 AM at BB&T Ballpark on February 9th.

Starting at 12 Noon on Feb. 9th, tickets will be available online (http://CharlotteKnights.com ) & by phone (704-274-8282).

clt says use promo code homer for a free pretzel at the park