2019 Spring Practice Thread

Offense in general looked good today. Pope stood out again. Reynolds had a really good practice as well. Keane not on campus yet, but Iā€™d call it a two horse race between those two.

Terrick Smalls is a gifted back. I think he will turn some heads this year.

Healy said after practice Mike Hill received an email from a long time staffer that said in the last 2 months heā€™s seen more manners from these football players than any athletes at Charlotte in a long time. I found that comment particularly interesting and it made me very proud of our kids and our program.

Healy was wearing a 704 shop hat.

Music was a little quieter today, but same energy for sure.

Also punters were, get this, punting. No more rugby nonsense.

5 Likes

I attended the spring workouts today. I was very impressed with the staff and the atmosphere.

The offense definitely ruled the day today. There were several big plays out of the offense from the passing and the running game and this was without Lemay or Tucker playing in the scrimmage. There were many different young players making play after play. And coach let the defense know that the offense ran over them today.

There were a few things that were noticeable today. One the overall spirit of the team. The entire sideline cheering on players on the field. They were giving the younger players tips after they left the field. And the entire sideline celebration of big plays was contagious. The second thing I noticed today was depth and speed. There were so many players making big plays. Im not gonna try to list names but #4, 22, 26, 31, 81 to name a few made plays that caught my attention. As Imfromclayton mentioned 31 Small made a spin move and accelerated so quickly that it was a great site to see. The last thing that I saw were the players coming to the community. Iā€™ve been a season ticket holder from the beginning and I got to talk to more players and coaches today then I have over the previous years. They constantly came over and thanked me for being supporter and you can feel the confidence in them that they are going to be successful.

I will disagree with imfromclayton about the quarterback position. I donā€™t see Pope in the running at all. To me Shirreffs looked the best today. Heā€™s got the strongest arm and throws the best deep ball out of any of the quarterbacks. He even scrambled a couple times and kept the ball on a read option today. I talked to a couple people and they say he looks like a different guy then the guy from last year. Reynolds looks like the run, run, short pass with occasional deep ball. Shirreffs looks like the quarterback who is going to take a lot more deep options. He did make some bad throws today too but I also saw some throws he made that the other ones arenā€™t capable of making.

7 Likes

Great post! Welcome to the board.

2 Likes

Good post. Youā€™re gonna be in the minority by being a Shireffs fanā€¦ Speaking from experience :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Welcome to the board!

1 Like

Exciting to hear to offense is looking capable so far. As pathetic as it has been the last 4 years i would almost take less wins if it meant we were actually fun to watch.

Never said I was a fan. I had high hopes last year for him and was disappointed overall in his performance. But at practice yesterday, he looked like a different player. He looked more confident and he was the first quarterback on the field during the team scrimmage.

And we still have the transfer coming in who will probably factor into who is the starter.

Welcome to the board!

I completely agree. The past few years, we have ran the same pass routes and the same run plays over and over. We rarely threw the ball between the hash marks nor did we throw the ball deep. I saw many different routes that we havenā€™t ran in the past. I saw movement and misdirection on the run plays. I saw many passes right down the middle of the field. I think we will definitely lose our predictability patterns that we have shown in the past.

1 Like

It was a joke. Sorry about that.

I also went on Saturday. Here are my quick opinions.

When I checked in, the folks seemed to know me which surprised me as I am really only in for football games. He said " we know you already have four, but would love for you to check in anyway". Really good first impression ā€¦or we are down to so few FSL holders that we can be memorized.

I was with the group that went down to the weight room. Kevin Donnalley did his spiel. He really is an asset to the university and we are luck to have him. He did a great job playing host.

Will came in (yes, Iā€™m calling him Will) and did his usually speech that you hear on the radio. For a while, I worked for a promoter that secured autograph guests for sports cards shows. Some of out guests, usually the one who were on TV or were managers had a certain aura about them . Will Healy was like this. He has a presence that makes you want to look at him and digest everything he says. Heā€™s also got a depreciating attitude and youthful demeanor that is going to slay with recruits, students and younger alums.

Someone thanked him for missing practice time to talked to us and he said something like, ā€œIā€™m the CEO. Iā€™ve got absolute faith in my coaches to get things done in my absenceā€. I think the coaching staff is tight and hope that they are also competent.
He also said ā€œNo coach will leave Charlotte to take a lateral moveā€, which I though was interesting.

Another interesting tidbit, he said that he did a home visit with Cruz, and that heā€™s never done that with a guy already here on scholly and that Cruz could take the next six months off and show up in September

We then took a tour of the rest of the facility which was impressive, but I agree with Donnalley that the locker and training rooms are bland and need to get the skins on the wall like the weight room does.

As for the scrimmage, being on the field, you couldnā€™t tell what was going on a lot of the time. I didnā€™t get much out of the football going on around me, but I was impressed by Smalls #31 and think he will be a good player.

After practice, the guys were called to the middle of the field and Healy praised their effort and talked about keeping the enthusiasm up on the sidelines, ā€œYouā€™ve all played football before, you know what itā€™s like when there is a turnover. One teamā€™s body language changes and that affects play on the field. We need to be up all the timeā€.

After the practice, I sought out several of the Greensboro kids that my oldest daughter went to school with and they were all very excited about the program and all of them said they had ā€œbought inā€ and while no one buried Lambert, they talked about how it wasnā€™t like this last year.

I had several players on their way off the field thank me for coming.

I also had a nice conversation with Jonathan Francois #50. He approached me to thank me for coming and I told him I followed him on twitter. He told me about his hometown and who else recruiting him. He seemed to be a nice guy, but was probably a bit of an introvert, so coming up to me was probably hard for him, so I think Healyā€™s having the players meet the public is probably good for some of these guys.

I left when the scrimmage was over, so I drove around 170 miles to hang out around 2 hours.

If you are in the area, or have the time to get there, I would definitely try to get there. It will reinvigorate your fandom and give you faith that the football team, while results might not be there this season, is in good hands.

4 Likes

I follow Francois too, and I really want to see him play. I liked his effort and energy on his highlight reel coming out of HS.

When I checked in, the folks seemed to know me

Confirmed @Tintin has a dossier in the #BadFan filing cabinet.

2 Likes

Same thing happened to me once. AD employee called me by name. We had never met before.

1 Like

Saturday morning opened up for me. Excited to get out there see what the buzz is all about. The First 49 is tailgating near Gate 1, should be a great morning for it.

1 Like
3 Likes

If we start winning, youā€™re going to see a lot of hate directed towards thisā€¦I love it.

2 Likes

W.A.R. ā€œWe are relentlessā€ā€¦ On third down. Gave me cold chills!

Gotta get the students in on this, I feel like it would take off like wildfire.

So, you fancy yourself as a cat herder? Maybe winning will do the trick.

1 Like