2020-21 Men’s Basketball Schedule & Opponents

Rothstein has Davidson #7 and GW #11 in his early A-10 poll:

And in the AAC, he has ECU #9:

I’ve obtained the GW contract and Georgia State amendment, confirming David Scott’s report of road game at George Washington being Dec 22. The Georgia State game will be on Nov 15th

See that the Monarchs’ OOC includes a D-III opponent. ODU had been the one program in C-USA that had consistently played an all D-I regular season schedule year in and year out. Have to go back to 2004 for a regular season non-D-I opponent and that occurred in a holiday tournament in 2004 at TAMU-Corpus Christi.

Old Dominion announced their C-USA schedule today, as expected it is a reversal of the 2017-18 18-game slate. We’ll see WKU, Marshall, FIU & Florida Atlantic twice along with our travel partner, Old Dominion. Our presumed C-USA schedule is added to the top post.

Ideally we want our toughest opponent of the weekend on Saturdays. Of our three road trips last season we played the easier opponent on Thursday just once and won that game, Marshall. Having the easier opponent second means you run yourselves tired on a Thursday night then have a day of travel before playing another road game against a team you should beat. On those three weekends we played tough games against Louisiana Tech and North Texas but then got embarrassed by Southern Miss and Rice. Losses against Louisiana Tech and North Texas would have been easier pills to swallow if we had gotten road wins on Thursday. For this same reason the same is true at home, we want the better team after they’ve already had to deal with Old Dominion.

Weaker Opponent First
Week 1: MAR/WKU
Week 2: @ MT /@ UAB
Week 6: USM/LT
Week 9: RICE/NT

Stronger Opponent First:
Week 11: @ WKU/@ MAR

No Clearly Stronger Opponent:
Week 3: ODU
Week 4: FAU/FIU
Week 5:@ UTSA/@ UTEP
Week 7: @ FIU/@ FAU
Week 10: @ ODU

Big news yesterday with Ivy League announcing that their teams will not be competing before the end of the fall semester. I’ve already heard from multiple coaches that other conferences are likely to follow their example. This has an impact on the Myrtle Beach Invitational, as Penn was slated to be one of the participants. But this has a larger impact as I think it’s a matter of time before the forthcoming basketball season is at the very least delayed into December or November.

I can see basketball starting a little later than normal, but I think it is a matter of weeks till football is pushed to the spring. You are going to see schools that have no students on campus and no way they play football without students on campus. I think you will see Presidents stepping in and making the decisions.

This is going to hurt all schools, but you are going to see some big fallout at the G5 level with schools already losing money every year. When they miss the football gates for another 6-8 months some will not be able to continue at their current level.

Well we have two things going for us. Our gate has sucked anyway and most of our fanbase is accustomed to no football in the fall and spring homecoming.

With the realist/pessimist streak in me, I started psyching myself up for no sports until at least fall of ‘21. I’m pretty much at a level of serenity of acceptance of this nightmare scenario. Ommmm…

We may have to get used to the idea of having to do something productive with our time. Frightening prospect.

1 Like

See that one time cross county foe Luke Frampton will now be a conference one. Only played 5 games for Davidson last season, so not sure if he’ll be eligible for Toppers this season. Not surprised that he landed in C-USA though I would have thought Marshall the most likely landing spot.

His brother transferred out of Marshall. I was wondering if Luke was a head case when he took “personal leave”. Now that he’s chosen Western Ky, I’m really wondering. Pain in the ass three point shooter, though.

clt asks why are we posting about cross country runners transferring?

4ever, forgot about the older brother at Marshall. See that Noah ended up at D-II Glenville State in WV following an injury plagued couple of years with the Herd. In many ways, his story mirrors that of Jon Elmore and there is a connection - the latter’s brother Ot is an assistant coach at Glenville and recruited Noah after he left MU.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/charlotte-observer-sunday/20200726/281818581155247

EddV4iJXsAEEPyY

looks like cannon got his appeal approved. can’t wait for the season to start, this squad looks extremely exciting, especially with matos, cannon, shepherd, young, and the new freshman coming in

1 Like

I’ve seen 6 of those guys play.

not doubting but i thought he was a sit 1, play 1. are you sure he’s eligible this season?