2020 College Hoops Coaching Carousel

DeCourcy thinks Beilein is the Wake target:

My bet is Ryan Odum

2 Likes

lol. i hope so.

Beilein is going somewhere he can win a National Championship. Wake Forest isn’t that.

Well, he’ll probably be waiting awhile for that

He could have at Michigan.

Wake could have won a championship with Duncan. Had some really strong teams with Odom, Prosser & Gaudio. No reason they can’t do that again with the right coach. Everyone thought Virginia was in the same situation until Tony Bennett turned them around.

Definitely agree about Beilein if he’d stayed in Ann Arbor. Kept seeing his name mentioned with Texas but Shaka Smart saved his job by winning down the stretch. Of course, if the latter doesn’t get it done in 2020-21 with what he has coming back plus the addition of 2020 top 10 recruit Greg Brown, then there will be a change in Austin.

clt is hearing major to wake

1 Like

Has to be Miller or Forbes.

Beilein is 67. Rebuild likely isn’t in his vocab right now. Ryan Odom was coaching at LR only 5 years ago and has gotten worse each year at UMBC since the infamous win.

Pat Kelsey will be the coach for Wake when all is said and done IMO.

Miller is intriguing because of Dad, but he wants the UNC job. Wake would make it virtually impossible for him to go from Wake to UNC when Roy inevitably retires in the next 2-3 years

Wake is a straight up hard job in today’s age

No coach who really has higher level D1 team aspirations should go there. Only those that want the 5 year guarantee contract money and knows their next job is a lower than wake before they get to a higher profile job again. All about $$$.

This is just naive. Please explain this because I am both a Wake Fan (Lifelong) and Charlotte (Since going to school here). The same could have been said about Charlotte following Major & Price.

Wake has all the opportunities in the world to rebuild that program like we are doing here.

They have a brand new state of the art training facility. They have ACC associated with their name and a huge Alumni donation pot. They need a coach that truly believes in the program and can display that to the recruits and players. If they hire the young coach that sees Wake for what it was and can be they will be, it will be successful. Much like how Sanchez can see Charlotte for what it was and can be.

I just don’t see the huge negative at Wake like others, same way I didn’t see Charlotte job in basketball as a negative. In basketball, you are one recruiting and transfer cycle away from being competitive.

4 Likes

The problem at Wake is that while the ACC carries the name and they have a ton of history they have been relegated from conference elite through expansion. While once Wake/State/ChapelHill/Duke were really a 4 some it is now clearly Duke and Chapel Hill and they dont carry the fan base State does. On top of that with the addition of schools like Cuse and Lville Wake is way back in the pack in the ACC. Can they climb that hill? It is steeper now than it was when they were winning. I classify them much like GT. Ton of history but just not sure they can get back to where they once were under the current structure.

2 Likes

Virginia has climbed out of the ACC basement in the expanded version of the conference under Bennett so Wake can do it too. It’s not going to be easy but they have a fan base & donors that are willing to spend to make it happen. It will take the right coach & a little luck to make it happen but it’s not impossible.

Can and will are two different things. Not saying it cant be done - just a very steep hill to climb and harder now than it was when they were good.

I definitely agree it’s a difficult task. Should not be difficult for them to improve drastically & at least get into that second tier of ACC teams. Moving into the top tier will take a great coach & a lot of things going right for them. But I definitely agree with what you’re saying. I’m just saying that Virginia is a good example that it can be done.

Need to remember that at some point Ole Roy and Coach K will retire since they are either near or into their 70’s. I would expect both programs to take a little step back under a new coach which is normal just like when Dean Smith retire.

1 Like

Lutz to Wake and they will make that climb quickly!!!