2020 Niner Baseball Thread

I’m glad ya’ll are excited. Leave it at that

1 Like

Instead of wearing your narrow prejudice on your sleeve and that huge chip on your shoulder, why don’t you do what I did when I was concerned that our new coach came from a background that wasn’t compatible with our environment and objectives? I met with him, stated my genuine concerns, and listened to what he had to say.

After doing so, I’m convinced that he’s all in; that there’s nothing he wouldn’t do to build our program to an elite level. Along with that, I don’t think there’s anything he’d rather do than take our baseball program to a level that consistently exceeds that which had been achieved by the program that he came from.

After our conversation, I also don’t think that we should expect to see an immediate improvement. He and his staff have committed themselves to an approach that places player development at the pinnacle of their objectives, and that’s the consistent message that’s being communicated to recruits; but, it will take a couple of years for a sufficient number of elite players who share the staff’s aspirations to join the effort. As a result, I’m expecting results similar-to-modestly-improved for this coming season with material improvements in each of the next several seasons after that.

So, back to you and others who are reluctant to let go of their prejudices: My recommendation would be to find an opportunity to talk at length with Coach Woodard. Attend the upcoming tournament, for example. He told me that he’s particularly interested in talking with program supporters there who harbor any doubts.

However, if you can’t make it that weekend, contact him. Have lunch with him. Speak honestly with him. That gives him an opportunity to respond to heartfelt reservations; and, at the same time, communicate his many aspirations for the program.

One thing he said to me that really hit home with me and surprised me to quite an extent: He told me that, if he and his staff can take the program to the level he envisions, he sees himself potentially being here for a long time; it has that high an upside for him. His roots in Charlotte are deep, and there’s nothing he’d rather do than take his home town’s only DI baseball program to a level where it’s routinely known for preparing its players to go on to the upper reaches of the game and consistently vying for the National Championship. That’s exactly what he told me when I met with him.

9 Likes

Helluva post @ricko

Thanks for the free advice. Clearly, I’m not as nice of a person as you.

Outstanding post Ricko. Although I do see both sides of this one.

I’ll never believe Hibbs got a fair shake here. He did choose to stay, but his program was never funded fairly. I’m not gonna hash it out for the millionth time here.

I was hesitant when we hired Robert. He’s been as transparent and open as anyone could have possibly wanted or expected. I love the direction he’s taking the program. We all knew we had to get better on the mound. I think he’s the guy to do it. I am THRILLED mike hill sees the need to invest in baseball.

I don’t understand the concern with the guy. No person who is in sports will tank a job in order for a former team to stay ahead. Athletes and coaches are too competitive to do that. The best feeling a guy could get would be to beat his former club especially with the odds stacked against him.

3 Likes

With respect to dollars invested in the program: Don’t assume that capital improvements are coming from the Athletic Department; now or in the future. We’re going to see an ongoing, consistent orientation by this coaching staff toward sourcing funds from individuals and companies who see and share the vision of what our program can be.

The dramatic improvements in UNC-CH’s Boshamer Stadium, those that came in the major renovation of 2007 and all of them subsequently (including all of the state-of-the-art technology the stadium contains) came from one source: private donations. One man, their head coach Mike Fox, has been the architect and constant leader of that effort. Coach Woodard brings this approach with him; believing that the program’s future is valuable enough to warrant significant investment from people who share his and his staff’s outlook and determination to improve it.

Independent sourcing for baseball is hardly some new idea. That’s how the indoor facility was built.
Too bad for us that George Steinbrenner’s daughter doesn’t attend Charlotte.

Who said he was going to intentionally tank the job?

Yeah, Loren had asked for a Director of Baseball Ops position for 10 years and was denied every year by previous AD. Mike Hill’s first year as AD, we added the position.

Who knows what else was in the plans for the coming years. Loren and staff worked very hard to raise the funds for the indoor facility after banging their heads against the wall for years with the previous AD. Getting that facility built really sets the foundation for all the other player development tools we are investing in. We would have likely seen some of this if Loren hadn’t left, but to a lesser extent than what Woodard is doing.

Wasn’t trying to imply that, but was curious why you don’t support the program?

Read my previous posts. More like indifference than not supporting, at this point. I’m fairly certain that I’ve spent enough time, money, and emotional capital following 49er sports of various types through many years that I have the right to cull just one of them now. Also, I’m “narrowly prejudiced” as another poster so kindly pointed out.

It is pretty obvious that everyone in today’s Athletic Department needs to be able to sell and fund raise from AD down to Asst Coaches. Old school coaches who just love the game and coaching it will slowly be weeded out. The amount of money and arms race in athletics has cemented this. If I were an up and coming Coach I would look at a city like Charlotte as much as the job so I know I could pull resources to give me an advantage.

Summer Ball Recap:

2 Fall Exhibition games have been announced:

9/6 host Florence - Darlington Tech
10/5 host Walters State CC *MLB Scout Day

1 Like

John Stott added to Coaching staff. I am guessing he might be a grad student assistant unless we have some other creative title for him.

Looks like he was a student assistant/ bullpen catcher at UNC-Chapel Hill in 2017 and worked with Woodard there with the pitching staff.

3 Likes

Ross Steedley has taken an Assistant job with Jacksonville. He was in line to be our Volunteer Assistant. Assuming he’s a Full time assistant and possibly the recruiting coordinator there.

John Stott will be our Volunteer Assistant now. That explains his hiring this week.

1 Like

Interesting

Fall exhibition game tonight at the Hayes starting at 6. First chance to get a look at the 2020 squad in game action. Lots of defensive shifts in the scrimmage last week.

Here is a roster breakdown:

Starting line-up

1 Like