2020 Niner Baseball Thread

New GS Club levels are out. Great way to support the program and get nice gear.

Also in the release, we will be hosting Wake and NC State uptown at BB&T Ballpark in March 2020.

They certainly went Go Big or Go Home with 10x previous giving levels, haha.

2 Likes

Not 10 times, but a substantial increase. I’d be interested to see the response or lack thereof.

Do the contributions to the GSC count towards your contribution level for athletics in general? Is this just a way to allocate specific donations to baseball?

clt is hopeful they will accept Bitcoiin2gen

Yes. Contributions to the GSC count towards your athletic contributions. for ranking purposes.

There was a time when GSC was NOT part of your giving amount to the AD if I remember correctly. Think that got fixed.

That is interesting then, because what I give now goes into a “general athletics fund”. It seems like it would be smarter for me to funnel it to the GSC and get some swag out of the deal, even if I never go to a game. Hmmm.

The top level before was $500 and now it’s $5500, so more than 10x.

2 Likes

How interesting it is that over the past several months, we’ve had all kinds of indications that the new regime is employing new methods to enhance player development and improve the program’s prospects in the future. Meanwhile, there’s been absolutely no acknowledgement here.

Not only that, but a golf tournament is held to bring former players back for the first time in decades as a consolidated effort to begin to instill a real sense of belonging to what has occurred in the past and what is to come in the future. Crickets here.

Then, the current staff makes public its ambitious fund-raising objectives via those who really support the program…and, we get a flurry of doubting, anchored-in-the-past posts.

So, here’s the deal: This staff intends to take this program way above what it has it has achieved in the past. Omaha is nothing less than the objective.

One of the elements that will propel that effort is a major commitment financially from those who are capable of doing so. It doesn’t mean that the rest of us are left behind in terms of being able to continue to enjoy 49er baseball; but, it’s going to take major levels of financial commitment to get us to where this staff is committed to taking us.

4 Likes

Glad to see we got an Omaha level on NNN.

Semantics. Grand Slam was the top level at $500. The “omaha” level is new. I believe the benefits for Grand Slam level are similar to what they were before. So, I’m comparing the $500 to the new Grand Slam requirement of $1750.
Again, semantics.

For those who constantly complained about our Athletic Dept being Mickey Mouse, this new level replaces the former “Orlando” level

2 Likes

Regardless of sport…maybe the donation level names should correspond to levels of achievement for that team…instead of different tiers with names tied to our mascot and colors.

For example…

Basketball giving levels could be:
Competitive
Contender
Conference Champ
Postseason Bid
The Big Dance
Final Four
Cut Down the Nets

Maybe donors would be more inclined to donate at a higher level that corresponds with what they want to see as a result.

If you at least donate something, you’re helping us be “Competitive”…but the larger your commitment equates to a larger investment in pushing the team’s future success.

1 Like

clt says don’t forget the student athlete experience level

1 Like

You are right ricko. Lots of positives over the past month or so. The golf tourney was a success from all I’ve heard, lots of player development purchases, and training during the fall season. I’ve been out to the Hayes a few times during the fall for a scrimmage and the exhibition vs FloDar and I have heard lots of positives. The players seem to be excited about the new staff.

We also now have 2 Baseball Analytics positions on staff, which is exciting.

Reminder: there is an exhibition at the Hayes on Saturday vs Walters State. They just beat Chapel Hill 6-2 last weekend. We should see lots of arms. The last exhibition we threw 8 guys.

2 Likes

What time Saturday?

1:15 PM. Nice weather on tap, too.

My only question is are you also Sueve

The Niners hosted the fall World Series this weekend where they split the team in 2 and scrimmaged each other for a 3 game series. Freshman Dave McCabe had 6 HRs over the 3 games including a Grand Slam as the ‘Gold dusters’ beat the ‘ Boat Paddles’ 2 games to 1. He homered from both sides of the plate and to all fields.

1 Like