2021-22 49er Basketball ⛏️🏀

Look for the offense to flow much better this year. I’m not a huge fan of Sanchez at this point but he had the team clicking at the right time in 2019. 2020 was a disaster. Had a few guys that basically derailed the season.

My expectations are just about at an all time low but also hopeful that I am really wrong. Question for me is which Sanchez do we get? 2019 version that had this team ahead of schedule or 2020 version that was awful. I have a feeling the new look for programs like ours is the transfer portal. Not sure we will ever see another Basden or Jarvis type of player here given the NCAA rules and transfer abilities which means working the transfer portal may be more important than HS recruiting. If Ron can do that and loosen up the reigns a bit on offense we may can win.

If we don’t Ron moves on and we start over again.

Charlotte can get talent. We’ve had it recently. AM recruited Charlotte and we got ACC level talent. Woods, Dorn, Lester and Izundu could play for anybody.

I’m just not sure guys like that want to play Sanchez style. I hope I’m wrong btw

4 Likes

Agree…his style is not a fun or aesthetically pleasing style for dynamic offensive players. Not sure it gets next level exposure either. Doesn’t seem to be a style where your stats will get you noticed by the league.

I’m hopeful that you’re all wrong simply because I don’t think I can take yet another reboot.

How many rebound coaches are we going to have since Lutz?

1 Like

Amen !

Ive been told the offense is going to pick up some this season. Hope thats true.

I also hope that last year was an anomaly in the rebuild and this season is picking up where the covid shutdown happened. We were playing some good ball going into covid spring.

I too hate the idea of another reboot. We need Sanchez to win. I am convinced if he doesn’t Mike will pull the trigger unless funds are stretched really thin with a conference move.

Same.

1 Like

Ouch.

Charlotte always seem to do better when expectations are not high. I am looking forward to a great year.

Tony Bennet has several players in the NBA right now. I follow the draft closely and I’ve never heard any draft analyst say the pack line is a detriment to pro interest.

It may actually be a net positive if you can prove you can work within a complex defensive system in college. NBA coaches detest players that cannot play at least average defense and work within a defensive scheme. That’s a fast way to get benched in the NBA unless your offensive game is just off the charts.

Wasn’t talking about Tony Bennet’s team…nor was I referring to the pack line defense.

Sanchez’ offensive system…if you can call it a system…is putrid. We run the clock down to under 10 secs to limit possessions and keep scores low. No way that looks attractive to a 3-4 star recruit with NBA aspirations. I doubt many NBA scouts give a 2nd look to very many CUSA players that avg 15-18pts per game on a bad team in a terrible league.

Could be wrong.

5 Likes

Look for that offensive philosophy to shift some this season.

4 Likes

I’m curious as to who starts. Do we think it’s safe to lock Butler in as a starter? With his credentials you would think he would have to be a lock. Even if he’s not as good as some others (which seems doubtful) it’s a bad look to not start a highly regarded transfer like that. At least until he’s truly beat out.

I think young, Butler, trapp start. After that,maybe Garcia or francois and Brice if he’s healthy.

I think the first 5 listed below need to start or get a bulk of the minutes. I don’t know if Brice can defend the 4 or not or if he comes off the bench at the 3. Perry may be a better 4 but haven’t seen him play. A lot will depend on the opposing team. Braswell would be a undersized 5. Perry and Musa if not starting should see some good minutes.

Jahmir Young
Clyde Trapp (Clemson)
Austin Butler (Holy Cross)
Brice Williams
Robert Braswell (Syracuse)

Perry Francois (Texas A&M-Corpus Christi)
Musa Jallow (Ohio State)
Jared Garcia
Jackson Threadgill

Aly Khalifa
Marvin Cannon
Luka Vasic

I bet we see a redshirt used with one or 2 guys.

Who would redshirt?

By the way, is this the worst incoming freshman recruiting class we have ever had?

We have 1 freshman and he looks pretty good from what I’ve seen on tape.