2021-22 49er Basketball ⛏️🏀

Based on how he has been described here (defensive animal, zero offense), no one thinks Jallow is starter for Ron Sanchez?

Are we sleeping on Aly Khalifa here? He came in highly rated and has had a redshirt year to mature and learn the system. My gut says expect him to be a far bigger contributor than expected.

I also like the fact that the kid didn’t let the academic eligibility issues from transferring overseas make him decide to quit the team and run home. That seems to show some backbone.

1 Like

Jallow will start and play big minutes. From what I hear he’s the best defender on the squad and that is the biggest thing to RS

Whatever happens we can assume it’s in service if winning now. Sanchez is obviously under pressure. I doubt he factors in things like player expectations and connections to the program. Its win at all costs.

I could him starting some bc of defense and athleticism.

He seems like he is all in and appears skilled and with great size but extremely limited athletically.

Yeah the lack of raw athletic ability may hold him back. We may see a lot of him in select matchups. He seems to have gained a lot of mass since the highlight videos a couple of years ago. Hopefully Between him and Francois we have a couple bigs that can at least battle inside and not get their ass kicked.

And if he shoots the three then that can create matchup problems for the other team.

Fingers crossed and cautiously optimistic.

At least on paper we seem deep and have a bunch of versatility.

I’m not sleeping on him but I’d rather wait to be optimistic on him until I actually see him play. We haven’t had any luck with underclassmen big guys.

I know I’m always hyping him up bit I think Garcia has sky high potential. He has size, strength, athletic ability and is a skilled offensive player.

1 Like

Is Garcia an under the basket player or shooting guard?

Face up 4, imo but can play center. Has a nice touch from 3 and plays with an edge

I hope he improves from last year and does well.

1 Like

I think Garcia has the potential to play inside with his physical tools but his skill level is really high. He showed great flashes of passing ability last year and a willingness to shoot from outside that tells me they have confidence he will improve in that area. I’m with ninerfan55, I think he has sky high potential.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to seeing the Holy Cross guy

2 Likes

Reviewing the roster in full reminds me that this team is deep and experienced with a lot of good positional size and athleticism. If we can assume the transfers are all going to contribute then the only real question marks are inside with Khalifa and Francois. If they can produce somewhere around league average for that position then this team should be good.

If Sanchez cannot be upper half of the league with this group then I’m not sure what can be done moving forward.

3 Likes

The starting five at the beginning of the year will be different than at the end of the year. I can see Ron starting Jallow and Braswell over Butler and Williams at the start of the year. Butler will be our spark and I see Williams and Braswell as the same type of player with similar builds. Also khalifa will be a surprise for us. Threadgill will not start but, I believe his minutes will increase as the year goes on.

2 Likes

I agree with you. It is time for Sanchez to prove something. The 2021-2022 schedule isn’t that daunting. Mike Hill extended the guy through 2026 so he’ll probably be here a while no matter the record.

1 Like

clt wants more threadgill

New day. Incoming freshman may be important, but who you keep or can steal from other programs seems to be the thing.