2021-22 49er Basketball ⛏️🏀

Losing by 10 now…come on Karen!

…and ya’ll bitch about Sanchez. :laughing:

2 Likes

Women go 1-1 in Gulf Coast Showcase, with game #3 today cancelled.

Nov 26:

Nov 27:
FFOemCoXsAcpfms

Nov 28:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Charlotte_WBB/status/1465020586036547584

Who is Coach AJ?

Aaron Johnston is the South Dakota State HC. Haven’t seen anything more about the situation.

Hate to hear that, but at the same time, glad it wasn’t anything to do with us.
Dude has been at SDSU for 22 years and they are always competitive.

Yep. The Jackrabbits beat #15 UCLA 76-66 yesterday.

1 Like

We beat St Johns (FLUSH THE JOHNS!) worse than UCLA beat them and UCLA was a top 20 team going into this tournament. Hopefully, this is the beginning of a season long recovery from the unspeakable loss to the Holes.

3 Likes

clt says good job karen.

Karen says “thanks, clem”

After seeing the letdown in the Nassau showings I have a question. I caught some of the Loyola Chicago vs. Michigan State last week. A perennial top 25 team that LC led much of game and ending led up falling short by 2 points. There’s no reason we shouldn’t be competitive (even against top 25 programs). Does it boil down to lack of talent or is this strictly coaching?

Both (terrible answer I know. If players are missing open shots then that’s talent right? If players look confused on both sides of the ball and fail to get open looks and fail to be in position to defend… then coaching right?)

I think it’s a system issue which kneecaps recruiting. Players don’t buy into the system and don’t want to play here imho. Chicken and egg type of answer but that’s what I’ve seen the last few years.

This. No top 100 player that has Pro aspirations of any kind wants to play for a defense oriented system where the leading scorer is lucky to score 15pts when the team scores 60. It is not an attractive system to the players that want their offense showcased for the next level. Now…if it were a winning system, that could attract players too…but it apparently doesn’t win either.

Impossible to snag great talent when you don’t win with a boring and low scoring system.

1 Like

Overall I agree with this, the only thing is UVA sent multiple guys to the NBA in this system. Now the questions is how did Bennett get these high level recruits to come to UVA in the first place and play a slow defensive style? I don’t know the answer to that but we can all agree the level of player at UVA is much much higher than what we have, even when we get players that seem to be pretty good, like Trapp, Young, Garcia he hasn’t shown he knows what to do with them…

We are four years in and look absolutely nothing like UVA. We need to stop kidding ourselves that we are running the same system. It’s not remotely close to what UVA runs.

That’s fair, so what system do we run?

I’m unclear. Something that is a grind out defensive minded system, but it isn’t the pack line that UVA runs and our offensive “system” is, uh, incomprehensible, despite me having watched dozens of games over the last few years. I’ve even watche’d breakdowns of UVAs offensive system online to try to understand. It looks nothing like what we do on offense. So, I dunno? Ron Sanchez’s patented “Trust the Process - Learning and Growing” system?

I think we can both agree if Sanchez has a losing season this year (3 out of the 4 he has been here) we need to fire him at the end of the season, will Mike Hill do it with all the dead money we will have to eat… who knows… but this was a make it or break it year and he’s still losing to Drexel…

Because they are in the ACC arguably the best basketball conference in America…

I forgot to add that nugget… Conference affiliation. Thanks… Allow me to edit.

Hard to attract any top 100 prospects with any professional aspirations to a boring, low scoring system that can’t win… In CUSA, one of the worst basketball conferences in America.