2021-22 MBB - Charlotte @ #12 Arkansas, 12/7 9:00 PM SEC Network

I do not feel super optimistic about the season but 19.5 points seems like quite a bit, feels like a good bet to have us covering.

2 Likes

Looking at the stat comparison for the game if we can keep our turnovers down there is no reason this shouldnā€™t be a competitive game. Its funny that the one thing that we are supposed to be good at (defense) is the very thing that we are horrible at. They seem to be pretty good at offensive rebounding so if we can hold our own there as well we should be ok.

Nicr, our defensive rebounding seems like a weak point for this teamā€¦we will see.

Depending on the book, it now ranges between 17.5 & 18. Opened at 19.5 and it has came down. Itā€™s a lot of points but wouldnā€™t be surprised either way.

All I see there is that Arkansas is not a good 3pt shooting team and gives up a lot of them as well. Also fouling them looks like it isnā€™t a terrible strategy.

If they come out and start hitting 3s against us like Davidson did, itā€™s gonna be a long long night.

They can still beat us handily without hitting 3s, but we seem to like to give up career days to opponents on the road. Just going with the theme.

Winless Texas Southern beat florida last night on the road. Keep hope alive!!

2 Likes

I have some strange feeling we surprise in this one.

1 Like

I guess we arenā€™t hanging our hat on our defense this year. Our FG and 3PT defense is ranked very low. And I donā€™t think we have the firepower to light anyone up on offense. I hope we keep it respectable.

Iā€™d venture to say perhaps our scoring defense has been more a symptom of running the clock to 0 on offense Over the past few years. This year we have been more up tempo than in the past and thus our defense is more exposed for what it is.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/i/status/1468268869383041024

Even in prior years our defense wasnā€™t good, but we are going in the wrong direction. The last three years our FG % Def has increased. We are on tract to be even worse this year at .478.
.478 (21-22)
.448 (20-21)
.441 (19-20)
.438 (18-19)

Edit: I looked up the FG% Def for the last year of the Price era and guess what it wasā€¦ .478 Same as this year so far.

Wow! Dead last. Ok Iā€™ll stop there.

Yep we played tempo not defense.

Are we getting paid? I canā€™t remember how but games work in basketball. They arenā€™t coming back to Halton are they?

Could be gasā€¦.

1 Like

Haha! Iā€™ll take both if it yields a victory! I remember being a recent graduate, and was living and working in Manhattan. I took off work to watch the 2005 NC State / Charlotte tournament game. After we blew that, Iā€™ve had hope EVERY SINGLE YEAR. For some reason, I have this feeling like this is the game that turns it all around, just as that was the game that sunk us.

1 Like

That game is on YouTube in ridiculously high definition (both widescreen and crystal clear, which is rare for its age).

I revisited that game for the first time since it happened. I wanted my son to see what things were like back then. Rewatching the game, I see now how Sendek made a single halftime adjustment of putting his best defender on Plavich and telling him not to let Plavich get off a single shot. It crippled our offense and we could not score enough to hold NCSU off. Frustrating, but there was a lot of talent on that 49er team. Withers, EJ Drayton, Basden, Plavich, Baldwin. Off the bench were guys like Martin It and Leemire Goldwire. Even though it was painful I am glad I finally rewatched it. Maybe I can finally be free of the curse of that game.

Its here if you wanna see it:

2 Likes

An in game defensive adjustment? Can you send that to Sanchez?

2 Likes
1 Like

A sea of red in BWA:

1 Like