2021-22 MBB - Charlotte @ Valpo, 12/11 1:00 PM ESPN+

51% from the field and 65% from 3, and we only won by 1 pointā€¦

I am happy that we won but if Valpo fans are mad about the no call, I understand.

1 Like

Valpo was favored to beat us by 6 or so.

Sucks where the program is at, we donā€™t look particularly good. Just super inconsistent everywhere.

Wins a win tho.

I am really hoping for loses since these damn little moral victories against $hit teams will just allow Hill to make excuses for Sanchez to stay. We are going to be manhandled in CUSA play, so these little irrelevant victories does more to hurt our future that help it.

1 Like

clt says the average fan doesnā€™t know how good valpo is

1 Like

Apparently we are 0-8-1 vs other teams in just the 2nd half.

We have yet to finish any game strong.

1 Like

Didnā€™t think that no-call at the end was actually a foul, our guy stood his ground with the Valpo guy running into him, and didnā€™t think Khalifa hit him (the Valpo guy was falling down at that point). Wouldnā€™t have been surprised to see them call that though. Refs did us a couple other favors on some other plays, though they also missed a ton of traveling calls on Valpo (their big man traveled almost every time he caught the ball, I could hear the Niners bench calling for it).

Yes I am glad someone else noticed their big man traveling - everytime he caught the ball at the 3pt line he would take an extra step.

1 Like

Glad we pulled that out, did not think we would do that even with Valpo not being a strong team. The shot clock violation out of a time out with around 2 1/2 minutes left was just a killer, coaches have to do better there in setting up a play.

I still really like Garciaā€™s potential, think he can develop into a good player, but itā€™s pretty clear we donā€™t play as well with him in for Khalifa. Iā€™m not sure why we seem to be running mostly the same plays when heā€™s in the game, heā€™s just not as good at passing and finding lanes as Khalifa is, and his defense was pretty suspect. That said, several guys played poor defense, including Young who let that slow white guy blow by him several times for layups. And it killed me when they started to heat up from 3, guy hits two straight long ones, and then we lay off him on an inbounds.

Nice to see Young on offense though, he shot well, as did Butler and Braswell. I did see our offense move quickly a few times and we often scored when that happened. Would help if Trapp could get going again. And happy to see Cannon hit those FTā€™s to close things out, he played hard again.

Although Iā€™m dissatisfied with the results, which had me post some negative comments on Twitter, I was quite surprised by a certain commenter. Mike Hill actually reached out to me and wanted to either meet in person or by means of a Zoom call to discuss my discontent. He even told me that he would allow me to sit in his basketball seats the next time I attend a home game. Got to give him a little bit of props for reaching out to a little fry like me. I will definitely be taking him up on his offer to talk at the next basketball game I can attend since I live in Garner.

Tell him you want to talk before the game because Sanchez might put you to sleep before halftime.

He really doesnā€™t know where the discontent comes from!?!?!?!

15 years of sucky ass basketball and Sanchez may be the worst of the bunch since Lutz. He does ZERO coachingā€¦ZERO. No game planning no adjustmentsā€¦nothing. Run Pack Line on Defenseā€¦Run Shitty ass motion on offense and hope we win is his coaching philosophy. We were BLOWN out at home against Davidson, have yet to outscore ANYONE in the 2nd half in 9 games so far (with an overall weak ass schedule), our Ken Pom rating is in the 200ā€™s and we are 4 points from being 2-7ā€¦all after Sanchez has arguably the best CUSA recruiting class 2 years running as well as the best transfer class in the conference this past year from the portalā€¦ AND HE WANTS TO KNOW WHERE THE F@CK THE DISCONTENT COMING FROM???

Jesus Christā€¦heā€™s trolling you. No way in hell heā€™s that stupid.

2 Likes

We won. Enjoy the win. You never know if it can spark the team to a winning streak.
I, personally, am proud of the team for the effort and heart they showed to win on the road. Never easy.

4 Likes

We will find out soon as I will be taking him up on his offer to talk. Not just about the current state of the actual football and basketball programs, but the overall Niner environment and experience. This means Niner gear, game day experiences, etc.

I applaud Hillā€™s proactive approach. He has my respect. I only hope he keeps a finger on the pulse and truly considers our suggestions and input. I know his job is not easy.

Posted earlier about this seasonā€™s MBB rules changes in Collegiate Sports. Here specifically is the section on traveling:

Another thing that Iā€™ve noticed is that palming / carrying the ball is pretty much ignored now after being a point of emphasis for a time.

1 Like

Whereā€™s your twitter comment link?

I deleted it since I was calling for both Sanchez and Hillā€™s job pretty adamantly. I stated that I am tired of these moral victories against extremely bad teams and that if Sanchez isnā€™t removed, maybe Hill needs to go. After him personally reaching out to me asking to talk about my concerns and recommendations as a fan, I deleted out of respect for Hill, however I still told him that Sanchezā€™s type of play just isnā€™t working with both the players and fans and unless something drastically changes, he needs to be removed. Hill still has a lot to prove and Iā€™m not letting him off the hook, but I do respect a leader (such as an Athletic Director) that will personally reach out to me.

3 Likes

clt says palming could be called on every possession

1 Like

For me, having an AD who talks to unhappy fans is a lot better than what we had previously.

2 Likes

Completely agree.