2021-22 MBB Charlotte vs Wake Forest @ Spectrum Center, 12/17 9:00 PM ACC Network

ACC team playing at home getting lots of free throws? Shocker!

2 Likes

May be better for us that Wake pulled this one out. Probably won’t matter but I really wouldn’t have liked our chances with them coming off of a loss.

3 Likes

9PM tip off? Rather late don’t you think?

1 Like

They won’t tip until closer to 10pm is my guess. I wonder who selected the order. I’m guessing tv. The 3rd game would seem like the best time slot.

2 Likes

I’ll be asleep. I value my rest, time, and sanity more than Niner basketball these days.

In years past, I would have not only been at this game but either expected us to win (back in the day) or been hopeful we would win. With Sanchez at the helm I have no doubt we will lose, I just hope we don’t embarrass ourselves in our own city.

Wake Forest has the easiest game planning possible. They know EXACTLY what we will do on defense, so all they have to do is game plan sets and motion that exploits the pack line knowing we won’t make any adjustments.

We do the same thing over and over again and expect different results. It’s maddening to watch. Looks like a Y league coached team.

I predict pain

There are plenty of programs who play just one defense. Syracuse and their 2-3, classic Temple teams that played the matchup zone. Numerous teams that will not come out of man to man.

It’s all about how well you do it. I don’t think the pack line is anything other than a marketing term - @hootie has probably nailed it by calling it man to man with no help side defense.

But that doesn’t matter - what matters is that we aren’t playing it well. Whether that’s because of personnel or a flaw in the scheme matters, but it just isn’t working. I do not have confidence that we can get stops against any opponents and that is a problem when that is your identity as a team.

When something like this that you rigorously adhere to doesn’t work, it does start looking like a clown show. If you think this is bad, ask the really old farts on here about Half Wissel and his cue cards… If he was around now, I think half of this board would have to be committed to an asylum.

1 Like

Our best 3pt shooter Braswell averages only three 3pt attempts per game. He is 14/30 47%. It may be in Sanchez’s best interest to get him 6+ attempts per game. Who knows, maybe run a play or two for the guy. Hitting a lot of 3s is our only way to win these games against better teams.

(Garcia at 2/4 is excluded due to only 4 attempts)

3 Likes

Good coaches make adjustments my friend.

This This This This… 100000 x This.
Could not agree more.
D. O. B. A.
Every word.

Didn’t realize the game was at 9. I’m going to be a half dozen drinks deep at a Christmas party by that point.

Well that’s a new wrinkle from them.

They’ve played 2-3 for what? 30 years? 40?

Wonder if that has to do with Boeheim hanging it up.

Edit… I was curious. This is from a 2013 story:

Boeheim has won 915 games at Syracuse, placing him second in Division I men’s basketball history. He has employed the zone in each of his 37 seasons, though he said it “finally dawned on me” that he should switch to it exclusively only a few years ago.

What is this “run a play” you speak of. I do not recognize the phrase or concept.

I will be pregaming at Belfast for anyone interested.

Part of Syracuse’s defensive fine-tuning came from the center position. In the first half, Edwards and Anselem aggressively closed out when the ball entered the high-post. In the second half, the centers remained anchored in the paint when the ball entered the free throw line area.

Any “scheme” requires adjustments based on opponents. We do not make adjustments.