2021-22 MBB - Georgia @ Charlotte Exhibition, 10-24 3:00 PM

we were miserable from the free throw line as well if I recall

Yep, mostly misses by Trapp. Checked his Clemson stats and he was a 61% career FT shooter there. Not great but certainly much better than what he did today. (IIRC, only made one FT vs UGA on a number of attempts.)

We were 10-19 from the FT line.

Khalifa was praised by Sweirad over and over for his passing ability, especially hitting cutters, and one time he must have threaded a tight pass because Matt was saying he “looked like Aaron Rodgers out there”.

1 Like

Did not get pushed around. Great passer. A lot of plays went through him at the top of the key. Kept a lot of plays alive on the offensive boards. Even my son said " wow, we have a big guy that can actually move".

Young’s stat line is impressive. He looks like he is going to be assertive this year, hope that continues. He seemed so upset when last season ended, wonder if he’s using that as special motivation this time around.

Like that Trapp and Butler are playing hard. That kind of thing can be contagious.

Interesting that Khalifa got more minutes than Garcia. Maybe that’s just because it’s a scrimmage. Doesn’t look like Threadgill played, is he injured too? That surprises me a bit. (Edit: Whoops, missed Threadgill’s name in the box score, he was in there). Any more word on Williams redshirting? I wonder what the injury is that they would be saying that so soon.

As well as Ali played, Garcia had a lot of good plays as well. Looks much more mobile this year.

Matt Sweirad said on multiple occasions during the radio broadcast that it is likely that he will redshirt. He even said it when he was interviewing Coach Sanchez during pre-game and he did not correct him so I assume that its true.

Young and Trapp played crazy minutes in the exhibition. I bet you don’t see that in anyone else’s boxscore for an exhibition game.

For Trapp, Butler and Braswell on the offensive end, were they more looking to attack the rim, jump shots in the arc or hanging outside around the 3 line?

So have the DNP reasonings for Jallow, Francois, and Vasic been released yet?

Impressive play especially from Young , Trapp and Butler. Also nice to have a center that actually contributes for a change. Khalifa is so much better than centers we’ve had in the past and is an excellent passer. The fact he is just a freshman bodes well for the future

Trapp is definitely a drive to paint type guy who can occasionally hit an open jumpshot. He shot 35% from 3 last year so he will keep people honest but is more of a threat driving the lane. I think Butler is a good mix of both. He can hurt you both ways. He was a little out of control on a few drives to the lane. In all honesty he is probably the best all around rebounder on the team. Braswell is a long athletic wing and is a high riser. He seems best inside the three point line, but can also knock down the three. He alters a lot of shots on the defensive end with his length.

I’m pretty sure Jallow is injured. Francois and Vasic I think are coaches decision. This team is deep and someone is going to get left out of the rotation and right now Francois and Vasic seem to be good candidates. When Jallow is able to go I think Cannon will go to the bench.

For those that watched - just reading the box score and understanding this was just an exhibition - any concern young and Trapp were pur leading rebounder, not any of our bigs?

Did Sanchez have more emotions on the sideline or just stand there with the towel draped across his shoulder?

Given the minutes played I don’t think you can take much from those numbers.

When big men box out well it is usually the small guards that crash and actually get the rebound. This is exactly what would happen. On the other end there were a lot of tip backs that enable the guards to get the ball.

With Ally and Garcia splitting time it would not surprise me if Butler is our leading rebounder. We have very good rebounding guards and wings.

Trout was a beast. Very high basketball IQ with great anticipation. Butler’s experience was evident and in my opinionAly did not disappoint. They took George’s best punch (shot nearly 70% for most of the first half ) and literally did what good teams do (punch them in the mouth ) we haven’t had a group do that in years. It’s going to be an interesting season