2021-22 MBB - Monmouth @ Charlotte, 11/9 7:00 PM CUSA.tv

I am looking to the future, and we have got to get significantly better at recruiting, we are going to be playing the likes of Memphis, SMU, Wichita St and Temple, and unless we are going to have 5 players come in from the transfer portal every year, we are in trouble, where is the Sanchez recruited talent outside of Jahmir Young, we should be blowing teams like Monmouth out if we are going to be competitive in the AAC

1 Like

Jallow will start when he is healthy. Threadgill is playing because he actually plays good D. I do wish he will shoot more. Braswell likes to hang around the 3pt line and was not getting involved in the 2nd half. That is why he sat.

Individually, I like the players. They need gel as a team though. First game and Monmouth was a very physical and scrappy team. I am still optimistic about the season.

Well we dont have an AAC roster we have a CUSA roster because we are playing in CUSA, but I agree recruiting will need to improve as we step up but I think the transfer portal is going to become standard protocol for us going forward with the no sit out rule. I just hope we come out on the winning end on it.

This is one game. Does Houston suck for only beating Hofstra in OT?

1 Like

I saw that Arkansas struggled to put away Mercer.

At this point in the season itā€™s about winning any way you can, but we need to watch for trends and weaknesses.

Heard Williams had surgery, torn cartridge, will be red shirt this yr. Braswell and Garcia need some minutes.

2 Likes

So, he would have three years left correct?

This is more than one game, this is a continuation of below average play from last year, losing to or barley beating teams that we should be dominating, if we are going to get our basketball program back to where it used to be, we have to dominate teams like this regularly, and be competitive against elite teams

Iā€™d prefer to give the team to that town drunk in Hoosiers, but only for a game and only if he were sober

The team shot very poorly. Young was off on the offensive side. When Young has an off night you hope you have guys to score and help pick up the slackā€¦ they did. Hopefully Young doesnā€™t have a lot of poor shooting games. I donā€™t like the final score but Iā€™ll give sanchez a pass until I see more. TBD. Iā€™ll give Sanchez credit early on for flipping the roster from last year. Itā€™s really remarkable really when you compare.

This take is far too reasonable

Last year team would of lost this game. I saw a lot of hustling and grit tonight. Monmouth also got a few gimme buckets due to the ball bouncing right into their hands. There is also a lot of areas we can improve on. A lot of new faces that are learning to play together. Time will tell if they learn to play together and if they do, we will be very good.

I thought Khalifa did just fine for his debut. Pleasantly surprised.

My guess is against teams with quicker bigs we will see more Garcia.

I thought Young seemed to be taking it too easy before it got tight. I like the way he responded though. I think he needs to grab hold of the game from the start though.

Wes Millerā€™s younger brother Walker #4 definitely had his coming out party after riding the pine in Chapel Hill. And Seton Hall transfer Shavar Reynolds #33 wasnā€™t too shabby either.

And after what George Papas #5 did at Kansas a couple of years ago, why would anyone be surprised by any of his antics in Halton?!

There was a tall Hawk in street clothes and a brace, but not sure who he was since nothing in game notes mentioned anything about injuries to their team

Anyway, we won. Hopefully Young and Butler donā€™t have many off nights offensively.

On a high note, App St lost!

1 Like

You do recall that even in our best years we dropped games to inferior teams regularly especially early in a season.

Itā€™s one game. Just enjoy the win and see how the new roster comes together. Iā€™m not convinced on Ron but in 19/20 we set a record for wins at Halton and went into the conf tournament looking good before Covid shit it down. Last year was a disaster for various reasons. If this team picks up where the 19/20 left off then we may be onto something. If not we will start over, again.

2 Likes

5 Turnovers all game. We will win alot of games if we keep this up. Ball handling was one of my concerns this year as Jahmir and Clyde are not natural PGs. Monmouth also tried to make passing hard all game.

4 Likes

Donā€™t just look at the name, Monmouth was an experienced team that looked to be well coached. They will make noise with 4 and 33 as they were talented.
The first few games are a feeling out process on lineups and seeing where our needs are on the court. I think all that was accomplished.
Our overall athleticism has improved dramatically and I feel good about our prospects for this year. Time will tell but good early test that was passed.

2 Likes

The pep band had some kind of mask that allowed them to play their instruments while wearing the mask. Seems to be pointless if there is nothing at the end of the horn, IDK.

3 Likes