2021-22 MBB - UTSA @ Charlotte, 1/15 1:00 PM ESPN+

Scoring droughts donā€™t mean you didnā€™t have plays that got you open looks. I counted at least ten times the offensive motion got wide open looks that didnā€™t go in. You shoot 34.7% turn the ball over ten times in the second half your not going blown many teams out.

Too many times people are so negative on coaching that you canā€™t even see past that sometimes coaching canā€™t solve a bad shooting night or players that make bad decisions with the basketball.

The good thing I saw was in this game they kept up the defensive intensity through the offensive struggles where in past games they let that go too.

3 Likes

UTSA is the worst team on our schedule. Itā€™s hard for me to credit the team or analyze play when we played such a terrible team. If we sucked I guess you could criticize but Iā€™m not giving props for the win. Iā€™m happy they didnā€™t lose though. On to the next one. Keep on winning!

Iā€™ll say it again, I canā€™t believe after Threadgill hit 2 in a row from 3 in the first 4 min of the game it took him over 26 min to take his next 3. Isnā€™t there a play Sanchez can call to see if ur guy is feeling it?

2 Likes
4 Likes

Open looks does not equate to easy points. When we are in scoring droughts it is because we are not getting the ball in the paint. I would like to see a play where we get it into the paint for an easy shot. This does include a back door play.

1 Like

He missed his next three point attempt.

He went cold. You donā€™t ice the shooter.

1 Like

If it was that easy to put in plays to get those easy layup then wouldnā€™t they run them all the time. There is no play that can guarantee a layup, and they have plays in the offense to try to get those baskets, including the backdoor plays. Some of those kick outs to open looks were due to UTSA rotating and not allowing the layup to occur. They just didnā€™t make the baskets and if they would have shot the 47.5% they averaged on the year they would have scored in the mid 70ā€™s.

1 Like

Iā€™m more disappointed in the rebounding effort than lack of offense. That goes for this game and the season so far.

I thought defense looked great this game. Whether it was the opponent making us look good or coaching or good effort, it was encouraging to see.

3 Likes

Those threes going in early led to a lot of later misses. I guess you play the odds. Went away from the back door cuts for about 25 minutes to long.

1 Like

We have a full bench and they had 4, then three. He should have substituted every dead ball and ran those guys to death, and saved out guys legs at the same time.
We just dont have a killer instinctā€¦reflection of the coach IMO.

1 Like

Amazing that we have a 4 game win streak, despite a 20 plus day layoff in the middle, and people continue to bash coach and the team.
Our players are playing well and hard. We are 2-0 in conference and gaining confidence while working in Musa. I like this team and their play.

Go Niners!!!

12 Likes

We are 142 in the NET and 190 in Kenpom. That should be unacceptably bad. Pardon me for not tap dancing in the street.

1 Like

Not asking you to lead a parade, just enjoy the fact that we have won 4 in a row. Am I happy that it has been decades since we last danced, no. I am happy to see better athletes and a team that I believe can be good, yes. Will we dance this year, probably not, but can we gain momentum and confidence for next year, hopefully.
The glass is not always half empty, it could actually be half full! Just one, long time Niners thoughts.

4 Likes

Iā€™m happy we didnā€™t lose to a bad team, not that we beat a bad team.

Letā€™s beat North Texas and la tech and Iā€™ll be happy as long as we donā€™t drop games against the other poor cusa teams. While I donā€™t expect us to go undefeated in cusa, I hope we donā€™t lose to the bottom 6-7 teams.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I mean by not having a true go to guy. When Jobey was here if he got an open look you could write it down. We just donā€™t have that now

1 Like

4 of the next 5 are on the road. These games should tell us a lot about the team. Would love to go 4-1 but 3-2 is probably more realistic.

1 Like