2021-22 MBB - WCU @ Charlotte, 12/22 5:00 PM CUSA.tv

I think Folkes has looked good in limited time, need to see what we have here. We know Garcia has a high ceiling even if this year he has found his way to the dog house, or whatever is hindering his playing time. He looked promising last year. Threadgill is Threadgill.

Working the transfer portal going forward is going to be just as important as landing 4 year guys. We are going to have to get used to 1 and 2 year guys. Similar to the old Lutz juco model. Just have to find he right balance. Managing rosters in extreme flux is the new normal especially positioned where we are in the world of college Athletics. The fact Ron has landed the talent he has is a positive.

4 Likes

Dead spot on. Transfer portal is our new recruiting model, like it or not.

3 Likes

Folkes is a great defender. We saw glimpses of that even last year. He is the one guy on the team that seems to be able to stop dribble penetration. I’m just not sure what type of offensive game he has or if he can help on the boards like Trapp and Young.

Completely agree. Just wondering how fertile it will be when the Covid option players finally rotate out of the system.

There are a lot of players in the portal right now, and probably next year, which is good if we can work it.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. While we are seeing some extra players due to covid, we havent seen what the new normal will look like since the transfer no sit out rule and NIL rule have kicked in during covid. If we can some how manage to keep home grown top talent on the team while utilizing the portal to add talent thats a solid recipe. I am not convinced we can hold onto our guys but bringing in talent and using a system that gets them incorporated quickly will be key. Question is can Ron do that? His transfer in record has been mostly positive IMO. He has held onto Jahmir thus far.

1 Like

Daylen Berry will have also had a year in the system

Went and looked back at our overall record since we have been back in CUSA. Only 2 winning seasons. Our first season back and 2 years ago under Ron.

For us to finish in the Top 4, we will need to win between 10 and 12 conference games. I think it is possible, but put it at a 49% chance of finishing in the Top 4. Play like the past 2 and half games, I believe we can do it.

Play like we did the second half of the last 3 games and we can finish top 4 easily. We just have to avoid playing like we did in the first half of those 3 games. One day maybe we will put together an entire game.

4 Likes

We also need to remember we’ve only played 3 road games so far, so will be interesting to see how this team does on the road.

2 Likes

She dates Mariah Linney who played for outr women’s team and they were here for yesterday’s games.
I’m sure, talked to her and got a pic with her.
Very nice girl!

Impressed with Folkes last night.

He seems to have more pure point guard mindset than our other guards (extremely anecdotal and small sample size).

I would love to see him lock down more minutes and be ready to be a big contributor next year.

I hope that the younger players are thinking about the large number of players who will be gone next year and realize the playing time will be there.

This is what has me worried about Garcia. We need him to fulfill his potential, get back on track and be ready to play big minutes next year.

Also I would be shocked if Young transfers unless he just has soured on the coach. He has a guaranteed starting spot here.

IMO writing is on the wall for Garcia.

1 Like

Agreed. Even though not as bad as Garcia, I thought the same with Brice last year as he seemed to be in the dog house and had a short leash on him.

Yeah it doesn’t look good for him. Couldn’t get minutes last year behind Supica & Rissetto. Started out playing a little this year & already appears to have fallen behind Vasic & Francois. He must really do something, or not do something, that gets him on Sanchez’s bad side.

Defense with Garcia is even more nonexistent than it is with the rest of the team and that’s saying something.

Yes lack of defense for Garcia and then the amount of turnovers he has had on top of that.

2 Likes

Garcia has been foul prone. Add to the mix he has lost confidence on offense and has been fumbling away the ball. He has talent so I hope he can get it together. I hope Sanchez hasn’t given up on him, but we can’t afford to let him play much unless he can get a handle on the mistakes.

2 Likes