2021 Summer Movies!

I think she hired Jenkins. Given her social justice stance on SW it tracks, but Jenkins is a solid hire. The problem is KK sticks her nose in the creative side when she didn’t come into movie making in the creative side.
She was always on the business end of producing. She’s had issues on the creative side of nearly every movie LF has made since Disney took over.

Yeah, no arguing that.

Here is what baffles me. Disney pays $4 Billion for SW rights, and their only plan was just to spit out movies annually? Like a lazy copy of the MCU, but without a defined narrative arc throughout all of them, and without decent scriptwriting?

Maybe the scriptwriting critique is harsh, but they had no plan for the main saga sequels. Other than to make 3. None. That is 100% on KK. How in the hell do you spend 4 freaking beeel-yun dollars and not have a completely vetted plan for the main story? “We will just hire multiple directors and let them wing it… from movie to movie… They don’t even have to talk to or agree with each other”.

Forget the fandom… How does her career not fully destruct on such a horrific business decision?

If I ever had literally one thousandth of that much money invested with someone who handled it that poorly, I’d be insane with rage. Putting that kind of price tag on the ineptitude is impossible to wrap my head around.

1 Like

Contrast that with what Favreau/Filoni are laying out now that Kennedy has had her creative powers taken from her on Disney + (with the exception of The Acolyte). I’m excited for Star Wars content again and was on the verge of finding something better to do with my time.

1 Like

It is mind blowing. The movie a year bit makes sense. How in the world Disney thought letting KK run the show was a good idea is beyond me though. The MCU works because Feige is first and foremost a fan with a deep understanding of the comics. KK on the other hand is not a creative leader and does not understand the SW universe or fans. From JJ or the Lords to Gareth Edwards and Rogue One - almost every movie she touches has production issues. Word is there is a JJ cut of Rise of Skywalker that makes the movie much better - but the KK was in the lead on editing. She has almost all on her own destroyed SW. Only Favs and Filoni and Mando have saved SW for where we may be headed. If it is true that KK has been sideline from all future creative control it means we hope.

1 Like

No release date for this,but it should appease my fellow nerds:

The War of the Rohirrim focuses on a character from the book’s appendix, the mighty King of Rohan, Helm Hammerhand, and a legendary battle which helped shaped Middle-earth heading into LOTR. The anime pic will expand the untold story behind the fortress of Helm’s Deep, delving into the life and bloodsoaked times of Hammerhand. Overall, the movie is a companion piece to New Line’s LOTR trilogy and is set roughly 250 years before that movie during the third age (Note Amazon’s upcoming Lord of the Rings mini-series is set during the second age).

1 Like

Family and I went and saw Cruella together, first time in a Theatre in over 18 months, really was surprised how much we missed it, we have Disney Plus so we could have spent half the amount of money and stayed home and watched it but there is a kind of nostalgia to going to a theatre, even went with another family.

Getting out with people again is one of the reasons I think the theatres will eventually be ok.

1 Like

I am looking forward to getting some quality back in the whole experience. Many good movies have been held over waiting for theaters to open back up.

So I have found myself making due with streaming crap like Shadow in the Clouds (Chloe Grace-Moretz, Hulu) and Awake (Netflix).

Ugh. On both. Just don’t.

Not a summer movie, but The Eyes of Tammy Faye just came out and I haven’t seen it yet. Y’all may see yours truly in it working in the background.

Went and saw Shangri-La last night with the kids, blew away my expectations, the story was original (well as original as you can get these days) and the movie kept our attention the entire time, another point that movies have a hard time doing these days. It was interesting that it was a “Marvel” movie but with the main characters being phased out it really didn’t feel like it. It was still great though. Looking forward to Eternals, hopefully it’s just as good.

@Nineradvocate we saw the trailer for Dune and my 13 year old son said he wanted to go see it, if we know nothing about the book or the “dune world” will we even understand it? Seemed to go in a lot of different directions in just the trailer…

Dune is a high level sci fi story but the cinema experience is going to be heavily tilted towards epic sized visuals, lots of hand to hand fighting, and political intrigue.

I think you will both enjoy it at any level.

Saw Dune tonight. Excellent film. But far more stark and deliberately paced than I expected. I think I went in expecting some very strong emotionalism at times and more of an epic rather than stark tone. That said, there is no debating its greatness, or how painfully long it will be before we get to see the payoff in part 2.

I missed some things from the dreaded Lynch version. I guess I didn’t mind the voice over inner monologues from that one (and I think they helped new viewers tremendously), and I loved the Toto score / soundtrack. I also found the 1984 Lady Jessica to be much more regal than Rebecca Ferguson’s version.

IndieWire: ‘Dune: Part Two’ Is Official: Denis Villeneuve’s Sequel Set at Warner Bros. with Theatrical Release.

Just saw Dune and wow, it was great. Such a dark setting, and the way they did The Voice along with the soundtrack. I blown away. I didn’t think Hollywood was capable of this kind of quality anymore. Bravo.

1 Like

I missed some key lines from the original.

“He who controls the spice controls the universe / the spice must flow”

“Long live the fighters” - as this is the Fedaykin battle cry, this might still appear in part 2.

And my favorite, said by Duke Leto to Paul:

The 2021 movie is fantastic, with an amazing performance by Javier Bardem as Stilgar (though most everyone is good), but I miss these charms.

Javier Bardem Breath GIF by Regal

Just saw it. I enjoyed this one wayyyyy more than previous version and it ain’t close.

Yeah there were some great lines in the original, I’m pretty sure we’ll get “The Spice must flow” in the next one.

It was an epic film, deliberately paced but never slow. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now if I can just get @NinerWupAss to watch WoT.

1 Like

I’ll probably watch it. Decent number of shows I’m excited to see in next few years

Give it a whirl. It may not be your thing, but I have growing confidence that it’s at least gonna be decent (as far as adaptations go). I do think the brighter lighting and color palette are going to make some people think it’s YA material, because we are so used to everything adult looking so dark and grim… But it’s not. It’s not going to the extremes of GoT, but it’s well past what we get in the Avengers and even a couple steps further than LOTR. Actually you could get it to GoT levels if you indulge in a few characters (Graendal, Semirhage, and heck the trailer even suggests Eamon Valda), but I’m rambling…

Anyway back to Dune - the most powerful moment of the movie for me is when Paul chooses to kill the Fremen who challenges him. He knows where that road leads to and chooses it anyway. Juxtapose that with Duncan Idaho’s sacrifice…

Then Jessica gives him one last out trying to get Stillgar to take them off world, and he says, nah, I am doing this… The first movie never addressed this properly or at all… (I’m going to avoid a spoilery statement I originally typed here). But if you don’t know how this ends (and I am talking about the rest of book 1 and Dune:Messiah which Villeneuve wants to make as the 3rd movie of a trilogy), then you need to start asking yourself what Paul’s motivations are in that moment? And are they healthy ones? Hasn’t he been warned in his dreams?

Then, when you are done thinking through all of that, you finally realize that Anakin Skywalker is just a dollar store Paul Atreides and that Lucas completely ripped him off from Frank Herbert.