2022-2023 Baseball offseason thread

Chance to get a first look at what the 2023 squad will look like this weekend.

https://twitter.com/CharlotteBSB/status/1569493042452889600?s=20&t=KZpqD8ieaKb93YctmikOaw

1 Like

Anything on todays game ?

Haven’t watched it yet but I’ve heard we won by a score of something like 15 to 10.

3 Likes
3 Likes

https://twitter.com/charlottebsb/status/1572611005171249152?s=46&t=WCJQj4upwAja_NLpuA3CEg

Twitch link to watch the scrimmages:

2 Likes
3 Likes

D1 has been releasing their Top 100 programs, 10 teams at a time over the past few days. The last time they did this in 2019 we were not on the radar. We are now 74th, which is a pretty big jump. Its always nice to see how others perceive our program on a national level.

Here is what the rankings were based on:

For the purpose of this exercise, we don’t care what happened in the 1970s or 80s, or even the 90s or 2000s — that’s ancient history to a potential recruit in 2021. Tradition is nice, but it’s more important to establish a tradition of consistent winning in the last decade, and especially in the last five years. Our ultimate goal here is to identify the programs in the best shape right now, with an eye toward the next five to 10 years.

So we began by awarding each program points for making regionals, winning regionals, reaching the College World Series, and winning the national championship in the last five (completed) seasons, and a fewer amount of points for success between six and 10 years ago. That gave us a starting point; then national writers Aaron Fitt, Kendall Rogers and Mike Rooney made adjustments based on evaluations of coaching staff quality and stability, facilities, scholarship/financial aid situation, conference dynamics, momentum, and recruiting and player development proficiency. As the chairman of the Division I Baseball Committee likes to say every year, it’s more of an art than a science, but we tried to take many factors into consideration and debated our rankings internally at length.

I feel like we should be a little higher on the list but I am pretty biased.

Here’s some teams of interest on the list so far 61-100:

63 South Florida - AAC
64 Old Dominion - C-USA/ Sunbelt
66 UNC Wilmington
67 VCU - A-10
74 Charlotte
80 Rice - C-USA/ AAC
91 UCF - AAC/Big 12
96 UNC Greensboro
97 Tulane - AAC

2 Likes

66 seems high for UNCW

2 Likes

UNCW was #46 on their list in 2019 so they are slipping. They have 5 Regionals in the last 10 years so that is holding them up there. In my eyes we have already passed them. We beat them head to head in a series in 2021 too.

2 Likes

Some national pub.

1 Like

51-60 announced today. FAU added to the list. We are 6-2 against them since new coaching staff started.

52 Florida Atlantic - C-USA/ AAC
63 South Florida - AAC
66 UNC Wilmington
67 VCU - A-10
74 Charlotte
80 Rice - C-USA/ AAC
91 UCF - AAC/Big 12
96 UNC Greensboro
97 Tulane - AAC

clt says we are a top 35 program

1 Like

41-50 released yesterday. Wake, Campbell, & LaTech are the teams of interest. Campbell has been successful in the Big South, but we have a 12 game win streak against them dating back to 1987. We also beat them pretty handily last season 12-4 in Kannapolis.

41 Wake Forest
46 Campbell
47 LaTech - C-USA
63 South Florida - AAC
66 UNC Wilmington
67 VCU - A-10
74 Charlotte
80 Rice - C-USA/ AAC
91 UCF - AAC/Big 12
96 UNC Greensboro
97 Tulane - AAC

Rice making a comeback?

I hope so for the conference’s sake. I didn’t realize this but the article said that since their last NCAA appearance in 2017, they have had 5 straight seasons below .500. They’ve had 3 different coaches since then too. This will be year 2 under Cruz, but from watching them here at the Hayes last year, they have a long way to go. They did get rid of their pitching coach from last season. They gave up 37 runs in the 3 games here last year.

1 Like

Wayne Graham firing=bad karma.

1 Like

Are you suggesting that firing your program’s all-time winningest coach creates some kind of curse or something?

3 Likes

I heard this works for basketball, too.

10 more today. Clemson, SC, & Duke added. Clemson has a new coach and SC fans want a new coach so both programs are in flux at the moment.

31 Clemson
32 South Carolina
33 Duke
41 Wake Forest
46 Campbell
47 LaTech - C-USA
63 South Florida - AAC
66 UNC Wilmington
67 VCU - A-10
74 Charlotte