2022-23 C-USA Basketball ๐Ÿ€

UAB defeats FAU 86-77

1 Like

Oh Iโ€™m sure of it

Jelly Walker had a modest 13 pts in his return but definitely important for the Blazers in their win over FAU.

1 Like

Week 12:

Latest NET (thru games played 2-5):

18 FAU
57 North Texas
72 UAB
106 CHARLOTTE
109 Middle Tennessee
143 LA Tech
152 Rice
174 UTEP
177 WKU
226 FIU
318 UTSA

Yes but Palm Beach County has almost 2400 Square miles compared to Mecklenburgโ€™s just over 500 square miles. If you combine Mecklenburg County with York County SC (Rock Hill and Ft Mill) then you have 2. 4 million in 900 square miles compared to Palm Beachโ€™s 2.5 million in 2400 square miles. So, the Palm Beach region by itself is not comparable to the Charlotte metroโ€™s 2.7 million. Palm Beach County is part of the Miami metro. The Miami metro is around 6 million .

Correction in above post. Meck and York County combined are roughly 900 square miles and a population of 1.4 million. Palm Beach County with almost 2400 square miles is 1.5 million. The Charlotte metro is 2.7 million. Palm Beach County is part of Miami metro . Miami metro is around 6 million.

I donโ€™t understand how we are still in the 100 range of the NET, we suck right now. Are there really 200 plus teams that are suckier than usโ€ฆ hard to believe soโ€ฆ

Margin of victory / defeat.

This was the only game we got beaten pretty soundly in quite some time.

1 Like

Net rankings make very little sense to me. Weโ€™ve barely fallen over the past month while going something like 2-7.

1 Like

Realize polls are just in-season beauty contests, but find it โ€œinterestingโ€ that last weekโ€™s #1 Purdue goes to Bloomington and loses to Big Ten preseason favorite Indiana, yet Boilermakers remain #1 in todayโ€™s poll.

On the other hand, #19 FAU goes to Birmingham and loses to C-USA preseason favorite UAB, follows that up with a win, yet Owls fall out of the top 25. Hmmโ€ฆ :thinking:

1 Like

Pretty sure weโ€™re also getting a lot of ride from the Q1 win over #27 Boise State.

1 Like

clt says Mecklenburg is a small yet dense county. Will not be the largest population in the state due to geography

No not due to geography. Due to square miles. Wake is over 800 square miles compared to Meck just over 500.

I did not a first understand your comment - it is geography. But we must go way back to understand. A nson County used to stretch from present day Anson to Rutherford County. Then present day Meck, Gaston, Lincoln, and Rutherford split off to form Tryon County. A few years later Tryon was dissolved and the present day counties were formed.

But Meck is not what we would call a small county in square miles. On the east coast Meck would be an average sized county in square miles. Palm Beach County, Dade, and Broward are all larger counties in square miles. The remainder of Florida has more average sized counties in square miles.

Meck and Fulton County GA are almost identical in square miles. Wake is a bit larger than the average sized county regarding square miles east of the Mississippi.

New England has much smaller counties in particular around NYC and Boston. There it is typical for a county to be 50-100 square miles.

Out west counties are typically muck larger in land area. But around San Franscuso counties are smaller. Denver county is smaller than Meck. Los Angeles is 4753 square miles.

Latest NET (thru games played 2-12):

20 FAU
49 North Texas
64 UAB
115 CHARLOTTE
122 Middle Tennessee
139 LA Tech
142 Rice
174 WKU
183 UTEP
204 FIU
317 UTSA

My personal opinion?

FAU and UNT both deserve to be in the dance. I think theyโ€™re clearly the best 2 teams in the league, and both good enough to win a 1st round game.

3 Likes

I agree with that. Honestly, I think North Texas is the better team for the tournament, but they both deserve to be there.

1 Like

Those UAB losses to FIU and WKU most likely keeping the Blazers out of the top 50. Anyway, definitely best C-USA has been in MBB since we rejoined.

2 Likes