2022-23 MBB - UTSA @ Charlotte, 1/14 2:00 PM ESPN+

1. You donā€™t just snap your fingers and schedule top 50 programs. They have to agree to play you and nothing in our recent history says itā€™s worth playing us.

2. If we did schedule those games early how do you think this team would have done? Iā€™ll tell you, we probably lose them early as the team was still gelling. There is a reason those great teams lost crappy games early then went in a run in conference.

The issue is this is a bad league and we have not been a top performer in a bad league. Luckily we are moving on.

Good win by the Niners.? There are highschool teams that could beat UTSA.

I will never get excited about a win over a 300+ rated team. Itā€™s completely worthless.

I will also never be happy when my team is led by a coach that has no clue how to win a league or build a post season team after 5 years.

Good talent on this team the last 2 years and 2/3 of his wins the last 2 years are from Quad 4 teams. Soā€¦2/3 of his wins came against JV type teams that we could have literally won without a coach.

2 Likes

Not saying we schedule top 50 teams at allā€¦just not 330+. Thatā€™s what our non-conference SOS isā€¦330+.

Thatā€™s embarrassing and says alot about what the expectations are of this team.

Schedule a 150-175 NC schedule. At least challenge the guys. Let them learn something. Give them a damn chance to play DECENT competition and prepare for a CUSA tourney run of some sort.

We just fā€™n gave up before the season started.

Maybe with Sanchez leading usā€¦thatā€™s the smart play.

Good to know.

2 Likes

Teams wins you complain, team loses you complain, if they won the conference you would find something to complain about it I am sure.

8 Likes

The question at the end of the season is going to be, is Sanchez the guy that can contend for conference championships at the AAC level, but in year five under Sanchez, what are the expectations for our fan base for the remainder of the season and tournament play in order to justify Sanchez leading us next year into the AAC?

1 Like

FWIW sos was around 150 before Christmas.

1 Like

I want top 4 and at least quarters of conf tournament.

3 Likes

I think what TRLeader is trying to say is that we have to be careful about lowering our expectations and standards by getting overly optimistic about beating teams that we historically should beat, and that a true measure of our progress is against the upper echelon of the conference, and an extremely weak out of conference schedule just complicates measuring our potential progress

1 Like

Good thing about AAC next year is that it will basically be C-USA this season. Former is #9 in current NET, while latter is #10. And that AAC number is definitely being propped up by #1 Houston.

Not sure what relevance that has at allā€¦our 12 games out of conference is literally and currently ranked #333.

It is what it is.

1 Like

But what should happen if we dont meet the minimal expectations, we have shown improvement, but it is a weak schedule, and we are going against stronger competition next year, and this is year five for Sanchez, it is very difficult to gauge progression and development from a weak schedule, I think that it comes down to how far we progress in the conference tournament because we will be playing the upper echelon

Enjoy the win Niners!!

Idk Pls Reblog This Will Ferrell GIF

5 Likes

Ok so everyone keeps saying year 5 but Iā€™ve gone on record saying he got his best year taken from him with Covid shut down and then the following year I donā€™t count with the Covid impact to the team.

I get the lowering of expectations but we also have to be realistic with what possible in the current league and recent production. We canā€™t do what we did in CUSA 1.0. We just canā€™t. So I canā€™t hold the team to a bar that is impossible to reach.

I want to see where we finish and decide how I feel about Ron. Top 4 in league is what I want to see about feeling good about going into AAC. Iā€™m not a huge fan of Ron but I am a fan of winning regardless of who we play. We havenā€™t lost at home and are winning more than not on the road. Iā€™m not going to be angry about winning. Conference tournament is important too.

All I know is winning is more fun than losing and Iā€™m going to enjoy it. If you are angry when we lose and angry when we win close and angry when we win big well then you are just an angry person. Probably need to go get a drink and relax.

3 Likes

This one never seemed in doubt, UTSA was pretty bad. Niners had a few bad plays, but overall did what they should against a bad team. Team let up a bit last 10 minutes, which isnā€™t a great thing to do sometimes, but most teams do this when up 20 and cruising. I thought they played better than they did against FIU (also not a great team) even with correcting for it being a road game. Too bad we only play UTSA once, could pad our conference record a bit.

Also like to see the team spreading around the offensive production again. Itā€™s fun when Williams goes off, but weā€™re probably a better team when everyone is involved on offense and not hanging back waiting for one guy to score. Would love to see Patterson get it going again, his shot has been off lately.

4 Likes

FWIW, we do play everyone twice in conference play this season. Go to UTSA on March 2nd.

1 Like

The reality is that itā€™s been a long time since weā€™ve consistently beaten the teams weā€™re supposed to beat. Not saying we should be satisfied with that, but I think itā€™s fair to call it progress from where weā€™ve been recently.

1 Like

Winning is more fun than losing when you accomplish something to be proud of. Are you really accomplishing anything to be proud of by beating mostly scrubs??

Againā€¦donā€™t need to play a bunch of top 50 teamsā€¦but I canā€™t celebrate that weā€™re beating down Quad 4 teams. Even other Quad 4 teams can beat Quad 4 teams.

7 of our 12 wins are against teams WORSE than App State. Add App St to the mix and we have 8 of our 12 wins that were absolute laydowns (2/3). Sorryā€¦I canā€™t get excited over that.

If we literally scheduled middle school teamsā€¦would we be proud that we were undefeated and winning by 75 pts per game?? Some probably would.

I can agree that we need to see where we finish. We need a Top 3 finish and a trip to the semis in CUSA to be considered a good season. Top 4 and Quarter finals should be an absolute minimum for the season not to be considered a disappointment.

But all of the cupcake wins do nothing to make me think we can do either.

Whoops, youā€™re right of course, was looking for them around the UTEP road game (which is paired with N. Texas). We should win that game too, as long as we donā€™t play like that FIU game again.

Losing to Kent state didnā€™t make me feel like we could beat Sincy but we did.

1 Like