2022-23 Niner Basketball šŸ€

Braswell would have to sit a year correct and only have 1 yr of playing eligibility? If so, I donā€™t see him doing that.

Correct, but since his first transfer was immediate eligibility and he gets an extra year for Covid, he still gets 4 years of playtime. Unless he red shirted at Syracuse a year. Not sure if he did.

1 Like

I believe Braswell has 2 years of eligibility left. Would hate to see him transfer.

I think those guys can and will step up. The challenge IMO is I donā€™t see any of them with the ability to bail us out when the offense stops, which under Ron. is often. I feel like half of jahmirs points were when he was operating and creating on his own. I think next seasons offense will look more like the previous slow down offenses than what we saw last year. Keeping point totals low is Ronā€™s only shot at decent number of wins.

1 Like

I can see this as a possibility.

Especially with the move to the American conference soon, I think we need to get a new coach ASAP. I have never seen a college basketball coach sub players out after they make a great play, which forces the other team to call a timeout (did this religiously with Braswell last season). The pace he wants his players to play is pre-historic, look at all of the good college teams, they run. The plays in game that Ron runs are reminiscent of when Bob Cousy played ball, theyā€™re out dated and simple. Ronā€™s philosophy is seriously questionable, especially with the fact we have I think a total of 4 Quadrant 1 and 2 wins over his tenure. I donā€™t know how to see the positive in the team next year with Mir leaving, and so far no exciting news on any recruits or transfers.

2 Likes

FWIW, North Texas - the most successful C-USA program post Kermit Davis - was ranked 13th in offense at 65 ppg this past season. Of course, was the #1 defensive team.

1 Like

That is interesting to note. But based on our complete lack of offensive success in all of Ronā€™s years, and never being good defensively against good teams, I think that is a telling sign. And donā€™t make me bring up his road record! (Bad coaches canā€™t win on the road)

Who wants to take the time and put our current roster list together?

Isnā€™t it

Guards: Folkes, Berry, Graves
Wings: Braswell, Williams, Threadgill, Jallow
Bigs: Aly

We have lost a LOT more than we are gaining right now

The only change Iā€™d make is Threadgill to guard.

It is crazy to me we only have 8 players right now and one of those will be coming off a season ending ACL injury.

This has to be the low point right? Itā€™s like we are rebooting but forgot to make the coaching change that goes with it.

6 Likes

For any coach after an offseason departure like this, the next year would be considered a ā€œrebuildingā€ year right? How does Mike Hill fire Sanchez after a rebuilding year?

Iā€™d think unless Sanchez pulls a rabbit foot out of his ass he gets fired after next season. Hopefully Hill doesnt think rebuilding and patience.

Hill should have been able to see this coming. It was a miracle this didnā€™t happen after last season & looking back it must have been Jahmir that helped keep it all together & attract the transfers. If Hill was planning on that happening again, he is out of touch with how these things usually go. Feels like, by keeping Sanchez, he just sacrificed next season for basically nothing except saving a little on his buyout. This is not the way to energize a fan base that has suffered for way too long.

2 Likes

I sure hope this is the low point. I endured the Wissel Eraā€¦

6 Likes

I had emailed Mike after the season trying to figure out what his rationale was. I told him the only thing I could think of was keeping Jahmir around (no offense to the other guys). He didnā€™t directly reply to that (probably canā€™t even if he wanted to), but it comes off as they put their eggs in that basket and it didnā€™t happen.

Now Sanchez has to pull a rabbit out of the hat to salvage any chance of this season not being a dreaded rebuilding year with an incomplete roster. Losing Jahmir was brutal, but we also lost so much more as others have pointed out. Butler was another guy who could just go get us a basket when we needed one. We have some decent talent left on the roster if we had a great class of experienced transfers coming in, but we donā€™t, and I donā€™t see enough activity in the transfer recruiting to feel confident we will land what we need.

I donā€™t think we have anyone that is ready to be the man / go get us those points when we need them. Thatā€™s gonna be really painful to watch next season. All of those infamous Sanchez scoring droughts are going to drag on and on without a couple of dynamic scorers on the floor that can either get the bucket or get to the line at will.

3 Likes

Yeah itā€™s hard to imagine what those scoring droughts could have looked like over the past three seasons without Jahmir in the game. He and Butler were the only guys who seemed willing to take shots when we needed one and now they are both gone. Last offseason Butler committed around April 1st. So far we donā€™t have any committments and a lot of the guys we have reached out to have already committed to other schools. Most of them were not really anything to get excited about and we still didnā€™t get them. I just donā€™t see next season going well. I hope they prove me wrong.

3 Likes

The transfer portal is moving at a glacial pace compared to this time last year. So far only one player weā€™ve contacted - DQ Nicholas - has made a commitment to a new school and that was to Gardner-Webb.

With over 1000 players in the portal, maybe Ron is waiting until closer to the end, when players are scared after not getting the offers they wanted, making them more desperate

1 Like

If we are competing for Gardner Webb guys that tells me about all I need to know

4 Likes

Not only competing but letting GW out do us.

1 Like