2022-23 Niner Basketball šŸ€

100% with Rob. If Snachez can win, heā€™s my guy. Otherwise time to move on.

5 Likes

That is a lie, but you stay positive

Umm. Not a lie. As soon as a new coach is named there will undoubtedly be a ā€œfire xxxxxx Coachā€ thread started.

My problem with Sanchez is a bad Coach with an even worse system for the fans. I would be more excited if the product did not just wear me down.

1 Like

I think some people just donā€™t get how far we have tanked, tanked, tanked and tanked, or what we were before the pit of hell we are in now. If you do and you are positive, shame on you. Here you go, best I explain:

The Niners have had made the NCAA Tournament 11 times. 10 of the 11 appearances happened during a 17 year stretch. The last Niners NCAA Tournament appearance was 17 years ago.

The Niners made the NIT 7 times, Subtracting the NCAA Tournament years during the NIT period after a 1976 appearance, 6 of the NIT appearances were in a period of about 14 years, the last 3 being 2006, 2008 and 2013.

Ron Sanchez 50-64 since 2018 In a weak conference

Fancher 3-17 Poor guy

Mark Price NBA Legend 31-43 2015-2017 Remember talks of him leaving for a better gig?

Ryan Odom 8-11 His dad was great, somewhere else.

Alan Major 67-70 2010-2015 Almost .500 seems like elite compared to Sanchez

VS

Bobby Lutz 218-158 in superior conference 1998-2010 5 NCAAā€™s HC + 2 as AC, 1 Conference title (it was a great conference most of the tenure)

Melvin Watkins 42-20 Ditto 1996-1998 2 NCAAā€™s , 1 conference title

Jeff Mullins 183-141 1985-1996 2 NCAAā€™s, 2 conference titles

Honorable Late Lee Rose 72-18 1 NCAA to the Final WHUT? Whuts a final 4 mean?

1 Like

I think we are all aware of those numbers. Painfully aware.

No one has been happy since Judy Fā€™d this all up, first with the A10 move and then firing Bobby and beyond.

Ron looked like just about as sure a thing as possible. He has had 2 winning records and two losing records. He had his second team playing well seeded 4th going into the CUSA tourny when covid shut it down. His 3rd team had some major covid impacts on a few of his players. Last years team still mostly won at home and finished with a winning record.

This is not to say I like like Ron as our coach or that I think he is the answer. It is to say though that he has had a winning record 2 out of the last 3 years and the one he didnā€™t was excusable. Last year I was pretty much done with him, but he did have a winning record and heā€™s back so all I can do is root for him and the team. I donā€™t think itā€™s out of the question we do well, just unlikely.

All I know is the alternative is to root against us and our athletes or not support them. I am not doing that. If Ron blows it this year then we can turn up the heat on him through the AD.

1 Like

The dark place weā€™re in isnā€™t on Judy anymore. Itā€™s been way too long to keep bringing her name up anymore. All this is on Hill now period. Judy is just an easy and safe target.

Healy was a failure and Sanchez is a flat out disaster. Was he a good hire on paper? Sure but itā€™s not translated to the court whatsoever. Iā€™ll give props for Woodard. He looked to be a HR hire.

All this is on Hill and Hill alone, he needs to make the next two big hires be solid in Football and damn good in Hoops imho.

And just for the record, the A10 was a damn good hoops conf at the time. We just werent good in it

1 Like

Sanchezā€™s Covid team was actually pretty good and fairly fun to watch. They may have done some things in the league tournament. Didnā€™t they drill Davidson and beat Wake in Halton? Thatā€™s the one I know Ron wishes he had back. That had to hurt. Not as bad as say Dayton that year - they had their best team EVER and were likely headed to the Final Four, but you get the idea.

I think this is the year Hill makes a call on Sanchez. There is no way he wants to replace both revenue sports coaches at the same time, during the Evergreen campaign.

So letā€™s all hope that Sanchez has a great season. Even if you donā€™t like his style, his personality, etc. We donā€™t need any more problems right now.

1 Like

Listened to the Podcast! Jeremy is pretty good. Looking forward to listening to more of his Podcasts. Seems like he is basing his analysis on 1 practice, but he knows his basketball. I also think he will be honest.

1 Like

The only reason I brought up Judy is if you are going back to final 4 team comparing where we were to where we are then shes a part of it.

Ron hasnā€™t been good, but he hasnā€™t been a disaster. He just hasnā€™t been good enough. Regardless of how I feel about him, I am not holding the coivd year against him. That team had to deal with shit more important than basketball. That means his teams have gone, 8-21, 16-13, 17-14. No that isnā€™t good, but it isnā€™t a disaster and that is what is likely so frustrating about Ron and his style. It isnā€™t bad, but it feels bad.

GAMES OF INTEREST, NOV 7th
(final scores as of 10:45 PM)

Coppin State 59
CHARLOTTE 82

Lynn (D-II) 46
:basketball: FAU 81

Houston Christian 66
:basketball: FIU 77

Mississippi College (D-II)
:basketball: LA Tech

Brescia (NAIA) 52
:basketball: Middle Tennessee 79

Southern Nazarene (D-II) 47
:basketball: North Texas 53

:basketball: Rice
Pepperdine

Alabama State 70
:basketball: UAB 111

:basketball: UTEP
#12 Texas

Trinity (D-III) 47
:basketball: UTSA 74

Warren Wilson (D-III) 74
:basketball: App State 142

UC Riverside
:trophy: Colorado

Guilford (D-III) 64
:basketball: Davidson 87

Fairleigh Dickinson 82
:trophy: Loyola Chicago 88

Carolina U (NCCAA) 42
:basketball: Presbyterian 76

UL Monroe
:trophy: Texas A&M

:trophy: Murray State 68
Saint Louis 91

Central Connecticut 67
:trophy: UMass 94

:basketball: UMES 65
ODU 84

:trophy: = potential MBI opponent

Why do we excuse Covid years, every coach and every program had to deal with it, and yet some coaches and programs were still able to motivate, execute and perform

No disrespect intended, but this negativity towards the program is a good thing, great programs have high standards and when those standards are not met the fan base reacts with negativity and this causes change, and I know that you are referring more to the comments, but these frustrated fans that make these comments also are the ones that put pressure on administrators to fire underachieving coaches and ADs, they are the people that got us to start football in the first place, they are the ones who forced out Rose and her hires, complained about a lack of progress of the facility master plan, and continue to criticize Hills coaching picks, I dont see a negative fan base, I see a fan base with a hunger and desire to be great, and they may express it with negative comments but that is better than sitting back and accepting, even celebrating underachievement and mediocrity

1 Like

Well written. you make me want to be more negative now so I can be the best fan I can be

Because while all teams and coaches had to deal with Covid, not all teams were impacted by Covid equally. Some teams werenā€™t impacted other than disrupting practice schedules. Some of our players weā€™re significantly impacted by Covid - not them, but their families. Iā€™m not going to hold a season against a coach where some 19/20 year old kids were more worried about family in ICU and deaths over playing a game. You can hold that against them if you want, but Iā€™m not that guy.

4 Likes

There is a balance. I was probably the most vocal anti Judy person out there. Part of that was because she was bad and part was because she refused to listen.

I havenā€™t been overly critical of MIke because honestly Iā€™m happy with everything except football and basketball and football he just did something about and basketball we will see where this year lands.

With just about everything else Iā€™m good. From AAC to master plan. Iā€™m thrilled.

My biggest thing is that even when I was my most angry at Judy I still went to games, I still donated and I still supported the team. I also gave her more than enough time to build something before I turned on her. Hunger and desire are great but negatively to illogical levels will actually make that harder.

3 Likes

Breaking! The #firejudy crowd got their way years ago (well she was not firedā€¦ maybe that is why you are still mad)ā€¦ but good god - you have to let it go. Every time I come on here (or Twitter before I deleted my account last week) there are a couple of very influential members blaming Judy. The things Judy did FOR the University that we all (ok some of us) love FAR out weighs the perceived negatives YEARS ago at this point. Not to mention, since then she has become a personal friend of my family and she is a sweet, sharp woman whom still LOVES her Niners, her school, and is still very actively involved.

As the very wise Else once said:
Let it go, let it go
I am one with the wind and sky
Let it go, let it go
Youā€™ll never see me cry
Here I stand and here I stay
Let the storm rage on

6 Likes

GAMES OF INTEREST - NOV 7th
(Updated 7:10 AM)

Coppin State 59
CHARLOTTE 82

Lynn (D-II) 46
:basketball: FAU 81

Houston Christian 66
:basketball: FIU 77

Mississippi College (D-II) 61
:basketball: LA Tech 78

Brescia (NAIA) 52
:basketball: Middle Tennessee 79

Southern Nazarene (D-II) 47
:basketball: North Texas 53

:basketball: Rice 67
Pepperdine 106

Alabama State 70
:basketball: UAB 111

:basketball: UTEP 57
#12 Texas 72

Trinity (D-III) 47
:basketball: UTSA 74

Warren Wilson (D-III) 74
:basketball: App State 142

UC Riverside 66
:trophy: Colorado 82

Guilford (D-III) 64
:basketball: Davidson 87

Fairleigh Dickinson 82
:trophy: Loyola Chicago 88

Carolina U (NCCAA) 42
:basketball: Presbyterian 76

UL Monroe 54
:trophy: Texas A&M 87

:trophy: Murray State 68
Saint Louis 91

Central Connecticut 67
:trophy: UMass 94

:basketball: UMES 65
ODU 84

:trophy: = potential MBI opponent

Agreed. I have said this time and again. She did a lot of great things for our University. Did she make a few bad hires over her decades long career , yes.
I am a Judy fan and always will be. She has not been here in a while. Just gets old after a while.

3 Likes