2022-23 Niner Basketball šŸ€

Here is quick update on how I feel about each of the players:

Threadgill - love his defense. Nothing Spectacular but does all the little things on D. He is very frustrating to watch on Offense with being too passive. Has the opportunity to be the Brice, but is unwilling to be the aggressor on Offense. Please shoot the ball more and hit your layups. Coach prioritizes Defense, so that is why he is on the court so much.

Khalifa- love the guy. Yes he can get better, but he gets it done. For me, he is who I want to have the ball when we need points, preferably a shot in the paint going to his right.

Milic - Pre-sickness he was finding his Rhythm and was tough to stop. Has not done much since. Hope he finds his scoring touch again soon. Does a great job crashing the boards. He is really important to our success.

Patterson - was not sure what to expect from him this year, but for me, he has been inconsistent. Some good games, some not so good.

Gipson- was looking for him to help pick up the scoring lost with Young transferring. He has not been that guy, but has been a tough defender except against FIU and started hitting his 3s. Would like for him look to score more.

Williams - very talented on offense and the best pure scorer we have. He does not always stay focused on defense though and is why he is not on the floor as much.

Folkes - Has played really well overall this year. He can get to the hole, finish or find the open man. Best on-ball defender we have. Needs to hit his FTs and improve his shooting. If he does that, he will be our best player.

Aldrich - much better than Vasic. Has not done much in conference play, so would like to see him get back to hitting 3s and throwing his body around.

Braswell - was expecting big things from him. Something is definitely off with him. His shooting touch is not there, but has done a good job going to the rim.

Berry- was hoping to see him be a surprise this year. Very athletic, but been overwhelmed in some games. Only a freshman, so will give him more time.

5 Likes

GAME OF INTEREST - JAN 6th
(Posted 8:58 PM)

:basketball: Detroit Mercy 85
Wright State 90

UDM looked like they were going to coast to a conference win in Dayton but the Raiders rallied to protect their home court.

1 Like

GAMES OF INTEREST, JAN 7th
(Updated 10:15 PM)

CHARLOTTE 67
FAU 71

FAU WBB 67
CHARLOTTE WBB 77

:basketball: UAB 87
:basketball: FIU 90 / OT

:basketball: UTEP 58
:basketball: LA Tech 60

:basketball: North Texas 56
:basketball: Middle Tennessee 51

:basketball: WKU 74
:basketball: UTSA 64

:basketball: App State 71
James Madison 62

Utah State 59
:basketball: Boise State 82

SC State 73
:basketball: Coppin State 85

:basketball: Davidson 71
VCU 89

:basketball: Monmouth 35
Drexel 67

Charleston Southern 67
:basketball: Presbyterian 61

:basketball: UMass 73
GW 81

:basketball: UMES 46
Norfolk State 57

Posted not for the MTSU info, but to see what we are playing for.

The CUSA tournament has a weird bracket due to the 11 team format.

Since this is of course being played in front of the atrocious curtain, there is no homecourt advantage to play for (which would be huge otherwise). But we absolutely must get a first round bye. And we would like to avoid the top 2 teams as long as possible.

So we absolutely have to finish top 5. That is a must. And anything above that would be appreciated.

3 Likes

Top 5 is doable. Will need to beat a few of the middle teams on the road though.

1 Like

Utsa has some unbelievably bad losses. Today we lament a ā€œrespectable ā€œ loss. After next game, we are tourney bound again

Dammit Ron! 7 seed?!

Wouldnā€™t put much credence into a tournament seeding chart that doesnā€™t have FAU as the current #1 seed etc.

3 Likes

I was just scratching my head at that alsoā€¦ NA is right though, got to be top 5, winning 4 games is not going to happen.

We have the talent to beat any team in the league. Hell short yesterday but still early enough in the conference schedule to make up for this Florida trip. We are eating up any margin for error tho if top 4/5 is gonna happen for us.

I think we do also, would just hope we played with a little more sense of urgency, with only 4 or 5 games played some teams have had it easier and some harder so far, was looking at Rice, they havenā€™t played UAB, FAU, NT or us yet and got killed by MTSU so who knows how good they are, we have to steal a few on the road though thatā€™s a given.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Have to defend home turf and win more than your share on the road. That doesnā€™t change season to season or team to team. Gotta find a way if we want this season to go where we are capable of taking it.

Crazy thing is Iā€™m not a huge fan of Ron but at this point I want us to win partly just so MJG stop posting his Ron stuff :rofl::rofl:.

1 Like

Donā€™t hate me because I am right about Ron.

Itā€™s not about wins or losses for me, itā€™s about the process!

Everybody knows what Ron is. Weā€™re just hoping for the best. Stop acting like youā€™re some kind of soothsayer that sees things that others donā€™t.

Can I get an amen?

10 Likes

Amen. Doom! Doom! Do you really need anything but history to predict where this year ends? I will quit predicting if some of you quit preaching and playing thought police. Or I can be banished

You predict doom and gloom for every coach we have/had.

3 Likes

GAME OF INTEREST - JAN 8th
(Posted 4:38 PM)

:basketball: Detroit Mercy 76
Northern Kentucky 78 / OT

Tired Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

1 Like

Hootie is right we all know Ron is what he isā€¦

Big picture, unless you win that 1 billion multi million lottery there isnā€™t anything that is going to be done about it, at the start of 2022, we all thought Ron could be the one that got fired then Healy went and tanked and changes had to be made.

We already hired a football coach that is taking a paycut, to get a coach that you want in here we would need to pay around 2 million a year, it isnā€™t going to happenā€¦ it is what it isā€¦ bitching about it every day on a message board isnā€™t going to change anything. Handing Mike Hill 2 million bucks with the caveat of hiring a new basketball coach is the only thing that will change it.

1 Like